Analysis of the relationship between the North Atlantic oscillation and sea-level changes in northwest Europe
Article first published online: 4 MAY 2004
Copyright © 2004 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 24, Issue 6, pages 743–758, May 2004
How to Cite
Yan, Z., Tsimplis, M. N. and Woolf, D. (2004), Analysis of the relationship between the North Atlantic oscillation and sea-level changes in northwest Europe. Int. J. Climatol., 24: 743–758. doi: 10.1002/joc.1035
- Issue published online: 4 MAY 2004
- Article first published online: 4 MAY 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 JAN 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 17 DEC 2003
- Manuscript Received: 31 JAN 2003
- Tyndall Centre. Grant Number: IT1.15
- 2001. Arctic oscillation or North Atlantic oscillation?. Journal of Climate 14: 3496–3507. , , .
- 2002. Influence of long-term regional and large-scale atmospheric circulation on the Baltic sea level. Tellus Series A: Dynamic Meteorology and Oceanography 54: 76–88. .
- 1993. A connection between mean wave height and atmospheric pressure gradient in the North Atlantic. International Journal of Climatology 11: 545–558. , .
- 2003. Comparison of the impact of regional and North-Atlantic atmospheric circulation on an aquatic ecosystem. Climate Research 23: 131–136. , .
- 1999. The 1997 sea surface height anomaly of the North Atlantic subpolar gyre. Global and Regional Sea-level Changes and the Hydrological Cycle—IGBP/GAIM Report No. 8, EGS Vening Meinesz Conference No. 1; 13. .
- 2001. Changes in sea level. In Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis, HoughtonJT, DingY, GriggsDJ, NoguerM, van der LindenPJ, DaiX, MaskellK, JohnsonCA (eds). Cambridge University Press: 639–694. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. North Atlantic wave climate variability and the North Atlantic oscillation index. In Proceedings of the Ninth ISOPE Conference, Brest, May 30–June 4, 1999, vol. 3; 153–157. , .
- 2002. Absolute calibration of the Topex/Poseidon altimeters using UK tide gauges, GPS and precise local geoid-differences. Marine Geodesy 25: 189–204. , , , .
- 1996. A consistent map of the postglacial uplift of Fennoscandia. Terra Nova 8: 158–165. .
- 2001. Sea surface height changes in the North Atlantic Ocean related to the North Atlantic oscillation. Geophysical Research Letters 28(18): 3473–3476. , .
- Foufoula-GeorgiouE, KumarP (eds). 1994. Wavelets in Geophysics. Academic Press: San Diego.
- FuLL, CazenaveA (eds). 2001. Satellite Altimetry and Earth Sciences. Academic Press: San Diego.
- 1973. The theory of the seasonal variability in the ocean. Deep-Sea Research 20: 141–177. , .
- 2000. Evidence for a recent change in the link between the North Atlantic oscillation and Arctic sea ice export. Geophysical Research Letters 27(7): 989–992. , .
- 1995. Decadal trends in the North Atlantic oscillation—regional temperatures and precipitation. Science 269: 676–679. .
- 1997. Extension to the North Atlantic oscillation using early instrumental pressure observations from Gibraltar and south-west Iceland. International Journal of Climatology 17: 1433–1450. , , .
- 1999. The use of indices to identify changes in climatic extremes. Climate Change 42: 131–149. , , , , , .
- 2001. On the ability of SST forced AGCMs to represent NAO related air–sea interaction at interannual timescales. Geophysical Research Letters 28(24): 4543–4546. , , .
- 2003. Characteristics of the recent eastward shift of interannual NAO variability. Journal of Climate 16(20): 3371–3382. , , , , , .
- 1995. Climate signal detection using wavelet transform: how to make a time series sing. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 76: 2391–2402. , .
- 1999. A Wavelet Tour of Signal Processing. Academic Press: San Diego. .
- 1999. Evaluation of the North Atlantic oscillation as simulated by a coupled climate model. Climate Dynamics 15: 685–702. , , , , .
- 1989. Global sea level rise and the greenhouse effect: might they be connected? Science 244: 806–810. , .
- 1999. Temporal variability of the seasonal sea-level cycle in the North Sea and Baltic Sea in relation to climate variability. Global and Planetary Change 20: 173–203. , .
- 2001. Seasonality of the North Atlantic oscillation. Journal of Climate 14: 2069–2078. , , , .
- 1999. Joint time–frequency analysis. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine 16: 52–67. , .
- 2000. Global altimeter processing scheme user manual: v1. Southampton Oceanography Centre Internal Document No. 53. .
- 1990. On the statistical analysis of series of observations. WMO Technical Note No. 143, Secretariat of the World Meteorological Organization, Geneva, Switzerland. .
- 1998. The Arctic oscillation signature in the wintertime geopotential height and temperature fields. Geophysical Research Letters 25(9): 1297–1300. , .
- 2001. Forcing of the Mediterranean Sea by atmospheric oscillations over the North Atlantic. Geophysical Research Letters 28(5): 803–806. , .
- 2002. Sea level in the Mediterranean Sea: the contribution of temperature and salinity changes. Geophysical Research Letters 29(23): 51-1–51-4. DOI: 10.1029/2002GL015870. , .
- 1995. The global distribution of the seasonal sea level cycle calculated from coastal tide gauge data. Journal of Geophysical Research 99(C8): 16 031–16 039. , .
- 1994. The North Sea pole tide described through a tide-surge numerical model. Geophysical Research Letters 21(6): 449–452. , , .
- 2003. Sea-level dependence on the NAO over the NW European continental shelf. Geophysical Research Letters 30(7): 56-1–56-4. DOI: 10.1029/2003GL017041. , , , .
- 1994. Wavelets, period doubling, and time–frequency localization with application to organization of convection over the tropical western Pacific. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 51: 2523–2541. , .
- 2003. The Permanent: Service for Mean Sea Level: an update to the 21st century. Journal of Coastal Research 19(2): 287–295. , .
- 1999. A review of the trends observed in British Isles mean sea level data measured by tide gauges. Geophysical Journal International 136: 651–670. , , , .
- 2002. The variability and predictability of North Atlantic wave climate. Journal of Geophysical Research 107(C10): 9-1–9-14. DOI: 10.1029/2001JC001124. , , .
- 2003. The influence of the North Atlantic oscillation on sea level variability in the North Atlantic region. Global Atmosphere Ocean System 9(4): 145–167. , , .
- 2001. Recent trends in weather and seasonal cycles, an analysis of daily data from Europe and China. Journal of Geophysical Research 106(D6): 5123–5138. , , , , , .
- 2002. An analysis of daily maximum wind speed in northwestern Europe using generalized linear models. Journal of Climate 15: 2073–2088. , , , , .