An analysis of Icelandic climate since the nineteenth century
Article first published online: 26 JUL 2004
Copyright © 2004 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 24, Issue 10, pages 1193–1210, August 2004
How to Cite
Hanna, E., Jónsson, T. and Box, J. E. (2004), An analysis of Icelandic climate since the nineteenth century. Int. J. Climatol., 24: 1193–1210. doi: 10.1002/joc.1051
- Issue published online: 26 JUL 2004
- Article first published online: 26 JUL 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 MAR 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 16 MAR 2004
- Manuscript Received: 25 APR 2003
- 1969. An estimate of drift ice and temperature in Iceland in 1000 years. Jökull 19: 95–101. .
- 1996. Iceland. In Mass balance of Arctic glaciers, Jania J, Hagen JO (eds). IASC Report No. 5, University of Silesia, Faculty of Earth Sciences, Sosnowiec–Oslo. .
- 2002. Interpretation of Greenland instrumental temperature records: 1873–2001. International Journal of Climatology 22: 1829–1847. .
- 1994. Materiale om islandske vejrobservationer i københavnske arkiver [Material on Icelandic meteorological observations in the archives of Copenhagen]. DMI, Technical report, 94–21. .
- 2003. Yearly mean temperature for selected meteorological stations in Denmark, the Faroe Islands and Greenland; 1873–2002. Danish Meteorological Institute Ministry of Transport Technical Report 03–05, Copenhagen, Denmark. .
- 2002. A rapidly declining perennial sea ice cover in the Arctic. Geophysical Research Letters 29(20): 1956. DOI: 10.1029/2002GL015650. .
- 2000. Causes of climate change over the past 1000 years. Science 289: 270–277. .
- 1998. Past temperatures directly from the Greenland ice sheet. Science 282: 268–271. , , , , , , .
- 1988. The “Great Salinity Anomaly” in the northern North Atlantic 1968–1982. Progress in Oceaonography 37: 207–262. , , , .
- 1949. Temperature variations in Iceland. In Glaciers and Climate, Geophysical and Geomorphological Essays Dedicated to Hans W:Son Ahlmann, 14 November 1949, MannerfeltCM (ed.). Geografiska Annaler 31(1–2): 36–55. .
- 2000. Increased precipitation in the Norwegian Arctic: true or false? Climatic Change 46: 485–509. , .
- 1996. The role of Antarctic sea ice in global climate change. Progress in Physical Geography 20: 371–401. .
- 2003. Recent cooling in coastal southern Greenland and relation with the North Atlantic oscillation. Geophysical Research Letters 30: 1132–1134. , .
- HoughtonJT, DingY, GriggsDJ, NoguerM, van der LindenPJ, DaiX, MaskellK, JohnsonCA (eds). 2001. Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge.
- 1997. The δ18O record along the Greenland Ice Core Project deep ice core and the problem of possible Eemian climatic instability. Journal of Geophysical Research 102: 26 397–26 410. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Extension to the North Atlantic oscillation using early instrumental pressure observations from Gibraltar and south-west Iceland. International Journal of Climatology 17: 1433–1450. , , .
- 1989. Afturábak frá Stykkishólmi, Veourathuganir Jóns porsteinssonar landlæknis í Nesi og í Reykjavík [The observations of Jón Thorsteinsson in Nes and Reykjavík 1820–1854, and their relation to the Stykkishólmur series]. Icelandic Meteorological Office. .
- 1994. Precipitation in Iceland 1857–1992. In Climate Variations in Europe. Proceedings of the European Workshop on Climate Variations, Kirkkonummi (Majvik), Finland; 15–18 May, Heino R (ed.); 183–188. .
- 2003. Langtimasveiflur II. Úrkoma og úrkomutíoni [Long term variations II. Precipitation and precipitation frequency]. Vedurstofa Islands. Icelandic Meteorological Office Internal Report 03 010. .
- 2001. Early instrumental meteorological observations in Iceland. Climatic Change 48: 169–187. , .
- 2001. Anomalies in the seasonal cycle of sea level pressure in Iceland and the North Atlantic oscillation. Geophysical Research Letters 28: 4231–4234. , .
- 2001. Nordic Climate Data Collection 2001. An Update of: NADC, REWARD, NORDKLIM and NARP datasets, 1873–2000, Version 0. Danish Meteorological Institute Technical Report No. 01–20, DMI, Copenhagen. .
- 2001. “Little Ice Age” research: a perspective from Iceland. Climatic Change 48: 9–52. , .
- 2000. North Atlantic climate c. AD 1000: millennial reflections on the Viking discoveries of Iceland, Greenland and North America. Weather 55: 34–45. , , .
- 2002. A 21 year record of Arctic sea-ice extents and their regional, seasonal and monthly variability and trends. Annals of Glaciology 34: 441–446. , .
- 2000. Temporal and spatial variation of surface air temperature over the period of instrumental observations in the Arctic. International Journal of Climatology 20: 587–614. .
- 2000. Volcanic eruptions and climate. Reviews of Geophysics 38: 191–219. .
- 1997. North Atlantic storm track variability and its association to the North Atlantic oscillation and climate variability of northern Europe. Journal of Climate 10: 1635–1647. .
- 1992. Winter atmospheric circulation in the Arctic basin and possible relationships to the Great Salinity Anomaly in the northern North Atlantic. Geophysical Research Letters 19: 293–296. , , , .
- 1997. Icelandic low cyclone activity: climatological features, linkages with the NAO, and relationships with recent changes in the Northern Hemisphere circulation. Journal of Climate 10: 453–464. , , , .
- 2000. Observational evidence of recent change in the northern high-latitude environment. Climatic Change 46: 159–207. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1969. Hitabreytingar á Íslandi 1846–1968 [Temperature variations in Iceland 1846–1968]. In Hafísinn [The Sea Ice], EinarssonMÁ (ed.). Almenna bókafélagio: Reykjavík; 70–79. .
- 2001. Nordklim data set 1.0—description and illustrations. DNMI, KLIMA Report No. 08/01. , , , , , , .
- 1978. The seesaw in winter temperatures between Greenland and northern Europe. Part I: general description. Monthly Weather Review 106: 296–310. , .
- 1998. The Koch index: formulation, correction and extension. VÍ-G98035-ÚR28, Icelandic Meteorological Office, Reykjavik. , .
- 2001. A composite study of explosive cyclogenesis in different sectors of the North Atlantic. Part I: cyclone structure and evolution. Monthly Weather Review 129: 1481–1499. , .