Summertime anomalous warming over the midlatitude western North Pacific and its relationships to the modulation of the Asian monsoon
Article first published online: 29 JUN 2004
Copyright © 2004 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 24, Issue 9, pages 1109–1120, July 2004
How to Cite
Ueda, H. and Kawamura, R. (2004), Summertime anomalous warming over the midlatitude western North Pacific and its relationships to the modulation of the Asian monsoon. Int. J. Climatol., 24: 1109–1120. doi: 10.1002/joc.1059
- Issue published online: 29 JUN 2004
- Article first published online: 29 JUN 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 APR 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 19 APR 2004
- Manuscript Received: 12 JAN 2004
- Japanese Ministry of Education, Science, Sports and Culture. Grant Number: 15740288
- 2001. ENSO and Asian summer monsoon: persistence and transitivity in the seasonal march. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 79: 145–159. , .
- 2002. Drought in central and southwest Asia: La Niña, the warm pool, and Indian Ocean precipitation. Journal of Climate 15: 697–700. , , .
- 1989. The effect of Eurasian snow cover on regional and global climate variations. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 46: 661–685. , , , , .
- 1884. On the connexion of Himalayan snowfall and seasons of drought in India. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London 37: 3–22. .
- 1992. Latent and sensible heat fluxes over the northern oceans: the connection to monthly atmospheric circulation. Journal of Climate 5: 354–396. .
- Climate Prediction Center. 2002. Climate diagnostics bulletin, December.
- 1980. Some simple solutions for heat-induced tropical circulation. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 106: 447–462. .
- 1999. A broad-scale circulation index for the interannual variability of the Indian summer monsoon. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 125: 611–633. , , .
- 1976. An apparent relationship between Eurasian snow cover and Indian monsoon rainfall. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 33: 2461–2462. , .
- 1995. The Asian summer monsoon and ENSO. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 121: 1133–1168. , .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. A possible mechanism of the Asian summer monsoon–ENSO coupling. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 76: 1009–1027. .
- 1996. Tropical and mid-latitude 45-day perturbations over the western Pacific during the northern summer. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 74: 867–890. , , .
- 2001. Role of equatorially asymmetric sea surface temperature anomalies in the Indian Ocean in the Asian summer monsoon and El Niño–southern oscillation coupling. Journal of Geophysical Research 106: 4681–4693. , , .
- 1987. Development of the barotropic high around Japan and its association with Rossby wave-like propagations over the North Pacific: analysis of August 1984. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 65: 237–246. , .
- 2001. Impact of ENSO on SST variability in the North Pacific and North Atlantic: seasonal dependence and role of extratropical air–sea coupling. Journal of Climate 14: 2846–2866. , .
- 1997. Mechanisms of short-term sea surface temperature regulation: observations during TOGA COARE. Journal of Climate 10: 465–472. , .
- 2001. Principal modes of rainfall–SST variability of the Asian summer monsoon: a reassessment of the monsoon–ENSO relationship. Journal of Climate 15: 2880–2895. , .
- 2000. Dynamical and boundary forcing characteristics of regional components of the Asian summer monsoon. Journal of Climate 13: 2461–2482. , , .
- 1998. World Ocean Database 1998: Volume 1: Introduction. NOAA Atlas NESDIS 18, US Government Printing Office: Washington, DC. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Description of a complete outgoing longwave radiation dataset. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 1275–1277. , .
- 1966. Quasi-geostrophic motions in the equatorial area. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 44: 24–42. .
- 1999. Genesis and evolution of the 1997–98 El Niño. Science 283: 950–953. .
- 1987. The annual cycle and interannual variability in the tropical Pacific and Indian Ocean regions. Monthly Weather Review 115: 27–50. .
- 1997. The South Asian monsoon and the tropospheric biennial oscillation. Journal of Climate 10: 1921–1943. .
- 2002. Indian monsoon GCM sensitivity experiments testing tropospheric biennial oscillation. Journal of Climate 15: 923–944. , .
- 2002. An assessment of the surface turbulent heat fluxes from the NCEP–NCAR reanalysis over the western boundary currents. Journal of Climate 15: 2020–2037. , .
- 1994. Summer monsoon over the Asian continent and western North Pacific. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 72: 719–745. , .
- 1994. On the dynamical basis for the Asian summer monsoon rainfall–El Niño relationship. Journal of Climate 7: 1750–1771. .
- 1987. Convective activities in the tropical western Pacific and their impact on the Northern Hemisphere summer circulation. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 65: 373–390. .
- 2000. Upper layer circulation in the South China Sea. Journal of Physical Oceanography 30: 1450–1460. .
- 2002. Depth distribution of the subtropical gyre in the North Pacific. Journal of Oceanography 58: 525–529. .
- 1983. The relationship between eastern equatorial Pacific sea surface temperature and rainfall over India and Sri Lanka. Monthly Weather Review 111: 517–528. , .
- 1994. Improved global sea surface temperature analyses using optimum interpolation. Journal of Climate 7: 929–948. , .
- 1983. The southern oscillation an long-range forecasting of the summer monsoon rainfall over India. Monthly Weather Review 111: 1830–1837. , .
- 2003. Climatological seasonal variations of upper-ocean temperature in the North Pacific subarctic region. Umi to Sora 78: 119–128 (in Japanese). .
- 2000. Comparative study of vertical motions in the global atmosphere evaluated by various kinematic schemes. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 78: 289–298. , .
- 1996. Maturing process of the summer monsoon over the western North Pacific—a coupled ocean/atmosphere system. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 74: 493–508. , .
- 1995. Abrupt seasonal change of large-scale convective activity over the western Pacific in the northern summer. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 73: 795–809. , , .
- 1996. Low-frequency equatorial waves in vertically sheared zonal flow. Part I: stable waves. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 53: 449–467. , .
- 1997. Northern Hemisphere summer monsoon singularities and climatological intraseasonal oscillation. Journal of Climate 10: 1071–1085. , .
- 1992. Monsoon and ENSO: selectively interactive systems. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 118: 877–926. , .
- 1991. Free software helps map and display data. EOS Transactions AGU 72: 441, 445–446. , .
- 2002. Processes for the northeastward advance of the summer monsoon over the western North Pacific. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 80: 67–83. .
- 1998. Influences of sea surface temperature and ground wetness on Asian summer monsoon. Journal of Climate 11: 3230–3246. , .
- 1991. The monsoon year—a new concept of the climatic year in the tropics. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 72: 937–957. .
- 1992. Role of the Asian monsoon on interannual variability of the global climate system. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 70: 131–166. , .
- 1993. Large-scale variability of atmospheric deep convection in relation to sea surface temperature in the tropics. Journal of Climate 6: 1898–1913. .