The recent Sahel drought is real
Article first published online: 26 AUG 2004
Copyright © 2004 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 24, Issue 11, pages 1323–1331, September 2004
How to Cite
Dai, A., Lamb, P. J., Trenberth, K. E., Hulme, M., Jones, P. D. and Xie, P. (2004), The recent Sahel drought is real. Int. J. Climatol., 24: 1323–1331. doi: 10.1002/joc.1083
- Issue published online: 26 AUG 2004
- Article first published online: 26 AUG 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 JUN 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 4 JUN 2004
- Manuscript Received: 24 MAY 2004
- NCAR Water Cycle Across Scales Initiative
- NSF. Grant Number: ATM-9732665
- NOAA's Office of Global Programs
- 2004. Modelling climate change in West African Sahel rainfall (1931–90) as an artifact of changing station locations. International Journal of Climatology 24: 547–554. , .
- 1975. Dynamics of deserts and drought in the Sahel. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 101: 193–202. .
- 2002. Global land precipitation: a 50-yr monthly analysis based on gauge observations. Journal of Hydrometeorology 3: 249–266. , , , .
- 2000. Global patterns of ENSO-induced precipitation. Geophysical Research Letters 27: 1283–1286. , .
- 1997. Surface observed global land precipitation variations during 1900–88. Journal of Climate 10: 2943–2962. , , .
- A global data set of Palmer drought severity index for 1870–2002: relationship with soil moisture and effects of surface warming. Journal of Hydrometeorology [Available from http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cas/adai/publication-dai.html.]. , , . In press.
- 1996. The sensitivity of African wave disturbances to remote forcing. Journal of Applied Meteorology 35: 1100–1110. , .
- 1986. Sahel rainfall and worldwide sea temperatures, 1901–85. Nature 320: 602–607. , , .
- 2001. Global temperature change and its uncertainties since 1861. Geophysical Research Letters 28: 2621–2624. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Oceanic forcing of Sahel rainfall on interannual to interdecadal time scales. Science 302: 1027–1030. , , .
- 1991. Overcoming biases of precipitation measurement: a history of the USSR experience. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 72: 1725–1733. , , , .
- 1987. Global trends of measured surface air-temperature. Journal of Geophysical Research–Atmospheres 92: 13–345–13-372. , .
- 1992. Rainfall changes in Africa—1931–1960 to 1961–1990. International Journal of Climatology 12: 685–699. .
- 1996. Calculating regional climatic time series for temperature and precipitation: methods and illustrations. International Journal of Climatology 16: 361–377. , .
- 2003. Hemispheric and large-scale surface air temperature variations: an extensive revision and an update to 2001. Journal of Climate 16: 206–223. , .
- 1986. Northern Hemisphere surface air temperature variations: 1851–1984. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 25: 161–179. , , , , , .
- 1986. Anatomy of a rainfall index. Monthly Weather Review 114: 764–771. , .
- 1992. Further case studies of tropical Atlantic surface atmospheric and oceanic patterns associated with sub-Saharan drought. Journal of Climate 5: 476–488. , .
- 2002. Analysis of a Sahelian annual rainfall index from 1896 to 2000; the drought continues. Hydrological Sciences Journal–Journal Des Sciences Hydrologiques 47: 563–572. , , , .
- 1966. Climatic change. WMO Technical Note No. 79, WMO, Geneva. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Farmer adaptation, change and ‘crisis’ in the Sahel. Global Environmental Change 11: 49–57. , .
- 2001. Precipitation measurements and trends in the twentieth century. International Journal of Climatology 21: 1899–1922. , , , .
- 2000. Land surface processes and Sahel climate. Reviews of Geophysics 38: 117–139. .
- 1998. Desertification, drought, and surface vegetation: an example from the West African Sahel. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 79: 815–829. , , .
- 2000. An analysis of recent rainfall conditions in West Africa, including the rainy seasons of the 1997 E1 Nino and the 1998 La Nina years. Journal of Climate 13: 2628–2640. , , .
- 1997. An overview of the Global Historical Climatology Network temperature database. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 2837–2849. , .
- 2003. African droughts and dust transport to the Caribbean: climate change implications. Science 302: 1024–1027. , .
- 1995. Variability of summer rainfall over tropical North Africa (1906–92): observations and modelling. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 121: 669–704. , , , .
- 2003. Climate research and seasonal forecasting for West Africans: perceptions, dissemination, and use? Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 84: 1741–1759. , .
- 1996. Physical processes involved in the 1988 drought and 1993 floods in North America. Journal of Climate 9: 1288–1298. , .
- 1991. Expansion and contraction of the Sahara Desert from 1980 to 1990. Science 253: 299–301. , , .
- 1998. Diagnosis and short-lead time prediction of summer rainfall in tropical North Africa at interannual and multidecadal timescales. Journal of Climate 11: 3167–3191. .