Trend and variability of China precipitation in spring and summer: linkage to sea-surface temperatures
Article first published online: 2 NOV 2004
Copyright © 2004 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 24, Issue 13, pages 1625–1644, 15 November 2004
How to Cite
Yang, F. and Lau, K.-M. (2004), Trend and variability of China precipitation in spring and summer: linkage to sea-surface temperatures. Int. J. Climatol., 24: 1625–1644. doi: 10.1002/joc.1094
- Issue published online: 2 NOV 2004
- Article first published online: 2 NOV 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 21 JUL 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 JUL 2004
- Manuscript Received: 16 MAY 2003
- 1984. Interaction of the monsoon and Pacific trade wind system at interannual time scales. Part III: a partial anatomy of the southern oscillation. Monthly Weather Review 112: 2388–2400. .
- 1992. An intercomparison of methods for finding coupled patterns in climate data. Journal of Climate 5: 541–560. , , .
- 1997. Some comments on singular value decomposition analysis. Journal of Climate 10: 1759–1761. .
- 2000. Interannual and interdecadal variations of the East Asian summer monsoon and tropical Pacific SSTs. Part I: role of the subtropic ridge. Journal of Climate 13: 4310–4325. , , .
- 1992. The characteristics of interannual variation on the East Asian monsoon. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 70: 397–421. , , .
- 2002. Global land precipitation: a 50-yr monthly analysis based on gauge observations. Journal of Hydrometeorology 3: 249–266. , , , .
- 1992. Summer monsoon rainfalls in China. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 70: 373–396. .
- 1979. Lanczos filtering in one and two dimensions. Journal of Applied Meteorology 18: 1016–1022. .
- 2002. Shift in the summer rainfall over the Yangtze River valley in the late 1970s. Geophysical Research Letters 29: 1436. DOI: 10.1029/2001GL014523. , .
- 1997. On the uniqueness of the singular value decomposition in meteorological applications. Journal of Climate 10: 1762–1766. .
- 1997. Interdecadal variability of summer climate over East Asia and its association with 500 hPa height and global sea surface temperature. Journal of Geophysical Research 102: 19 403–19 412–. .
- 2003. Long-term climate variations in China and global warming signals. Journal of Geophysical Research 108: 4614. DOI: 10.1029/2003JD003651. , , .
- 1989. Numerical simulation of the relationship between the anomaly of subtropical high in East Asia and the convective activities in the tropical western Pacific. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 6: 202–214. , .
- 1989. The influence of ENSO on the summer climate change in China and its mechanism. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 6: 21–32. , .
- 2000. The 1997/98 ENSO cycle and its impact on summer climate anomalies in East Asia. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 17: 348–362. , , .
- 1995. The Asian summer monsoon and ENSO. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 121: 1133–1168. , .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Recent change in the connection from the Asia monsoon to ENSO. Journal of Climate 15: 1203–1215. , , .
- 2000. Indian monsoon–ENSO relationship on interdecadal time scale. Journal of Climate 13: 579–595. , .
- 1999. On the weakening relationship between Indian monsoon and ENSO. Science 284: 2156–2159. , , .
- 2001. Coherent modes of global SST and summer rainfall over China: an assessment of the regional impacts of the 1997–98 El Niño. Journal of Climate 14: 1294–1308. , .
- 1997. Climatology and interannual variability of the Southeast Asian summer monsoon. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 14: 141–162. , .
- 2002. Climate effects of black carbon aerosols in China and India. Science 297: 2250–2253. , , , .
- 2000. Representing twentieth-century space–time climate variability. Part II: development of 1901–96 monthly grids of terrestrial surface climate. Journal of Climate 13: 2217–2238. , , .
- 1995. A caveat concerning singular value decomposition. Journal of Climate 8: 352–360. , .
- 1996. Summer climate variability in China and its association with 500 hPa height and tropical convection. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 74: 425–445. , .
- 1995. Biennial oscillation associated with the East Asian summer monsoon and tropical sea surface temperature. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 73: 105–124. , .
- 1987. A review of recent research of the East Asian summer monsoon in China. In Monsoon Meteorology, ChangCP, KrishnamurtiTN (eds). Oxford University Press: 60–92. , .
- 1994. Decadal atmosphere–ocean variations in the Pacific. Climate Dynamics 9: 303–319. , .
- 2001. Interannual variability of the Asian summer monsoon: contrasts between the Indian and the western North Pacific–East Asian monsoons. Journal of Climate 14: 4073–4090. , , .
- 2000. Pacific–East Asian teleconnection: how does ENSO affect East Asian climate. Journal of Climate 13: 1517–1536. , , .
- 2003. Atmosphere–warm ocean interaction and its impacts on Asian–Australian monsoon variation. Journal of Climate 16: 1195–1211. , , .
- 1990. Precipitation fluctuation over semiarid region in northern China and the relationship with El-Nino southern oscillation. Journal of Climate 3: 769–783. , .
- 2001. The weakening of the Asian monsoon circulation after the end of 1970's. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 18: 376–386. .
- 1998. Monsoons: processes, predictability, and the prospects for prediction. Journal of Geophysical Research 103: 14 451–14 510–. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Multi-scale summer rainfall variability over China and its long-term link to global sea surface temperature variability. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 77: 845–857. , , .
- 2002. A mid-latitude Asian circulation anomaly pattern in boreal summer and its connection with Indian and East Asian summer monsoons. International Journal of Climatology 22: 1879–1895. .
- 2003. Evolution of ENSO-related rainfall anomalies in East Asia. Journal of Climate 16: 3741–3757. , , .
- Discrepancies of interdecadal changes in the Asian region between NCEP–NCAR reanalysis and observations. Journal of Climate. , , . In press.
- 2003. Interdecadal changes of 30-yr SST normals during 1871–2000. Journal of Climate 16: 1601–1612. , , .
- 1997. ENSO-like interdecadal variability: 1990–1993. Journal of Climate 10: 1004–1020. , , .