Weather regimes and their connection to the winter rainfall in Portugal
Version of Record online: 13 JAN 2005
Copyright © 2005 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 25, Issue 1, pages 33–50, January 2005
How to Cite
Santos, J.A., Corte-Real, J. and Leite, S.M. (2005), Weather regimes and their connection to the winter rainfall in Portugal. Int. J. Climatol., 25: 33–50. doi: 10.1002/joc.1101
- Issue online: 13 JAN 2005
- Version of Record online: 13 JAN 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 9 AUG 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 AUG 2004
- Manuscript Received: 15 MAR 2003
- 1987. Classification seasonality and persistence of low-frequency atmospheric circulation patterns. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1083–1126. , .
- 1995a. Modes of variability in the Northern Hemisphere's mid tropospheric large-scale circulation. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 50: 133–146. , , .
- 1995b. Downscaling GCM information to regional scales: a non-parametric multivariate regression approach. Climate Dynamics 11: 413–424. , , .
- 1998. Regional climate change in Portugal: precipitation variability associated with large-scale atmospheric circulation. International Journal of Climatology 18: 619–635. , , .
- 1999. Circulation patterns, daily precipitation in Portugal and implications for climate change simulated by the second Hadley Centre GCM. Climate Dynamics 15: 921–935. , , .
- 2003. Circulation dynamics of Mediterranean precipitation variability 1948–98. International Journal of Climatology 23: 1843–1866. , .
- 1998. Spatial and temporal patterns of precipitation in Spain for the period 1880–1992. International Journal of Climatology 18: 1557–1574. , , .
- 2003. Analysis of wintertime atmospheric moisture transport and its variability over southern Europe in the NCEP reanalysis. Climate Research 23: 195–215. , , .
- 2000. Agreement between observed rainfall trends and climate change simulations in the southwest of Europe. Journal of Climate 13: 3057–3065. , , , .
- 2002. Links between circulation and changes in the characteristics of the Iberian rainfall. International Journal of Climatology 22: 1593–1615. , .
- 1992. A 1951–80 global land precipitation climatology for the evaluation of general circulation models. Climate Dynamics 7: 57–72. .
- 1994. Validation of large-scale precipitation fields in general circulation models. Global Precipitations and Climate Change, DesboisM, DesalmandF (eds). NATO ASI Series I, vol. 26. Springer-Verlag: Berlin; 387–406. .
- 1998. Precipitation sensitivity to global warming: comparison of observations with HadCM2 simulations. Geophysical Research Letters 25: 3379–3382. , , .
- 1996. Influence of variations in extratropical wintertime teleconnections on Northern Hemisphere temperatures. Geophysical Research Letters 23: 665–668. .
- 1997. Decadal variations in climate associated with the North Atlantic oscillation. Climate Change 36: 301–326. , .
- 2001. The North Atlantic oscillation. Science 291: 603–605. , , .
- 1997. Extension to the North Atlantic oscillation using early instrumental pressure observations from Gibraltar and south-west Iceland. International Journal of Climatology 17: 1433–1450. , , .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Daily dataset of 20th-century surface air temperature and precipitation series for the European Climate Assessment. International Journal of Climatology 22: 1441–1453. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. A simple identification scheme for upper-level troughs and its application to winter precipitation variability in northwest Africa. Journal of Climate 17: 1411–1418. .
- 2003. Long-term precipitation variability in Morocco and the link to the large-scale circulation in recent and future climates. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 83: 67–88. , , .
- 1991. Estudo climatológico da bacia do Rio Douro: análise espectral e análise discriminante dos campos característicos. PhD Thesis UTAD, Vila Real, Portugal. .
- 1995. Weather regimes: recurrence and quasi-stationarity. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 52: 1237–1256. , , .
- 2003. Effects of the North Atlantic oscillation on the probability for climatic categories of local monthly rainfall in southern Spain. International Journal of Climatology 23: 381–397. , .
- 1999. An evaluation of statistical and dynamical techniques for downscaling local climate. International Journal of Climatology 12: 2256–2284. .
- 1997. Development of a relationship between station and grid-box rainday frequencies for climate model evaluation. Journal of Climate 10: 1885–1908. , .
- 1999. Evaluation of the North Atlantic oscillation as simulated by a coupled climate model. Climate Dynamics 15: 685–702. , , , , .
- 1982. A significance test for principal components applied to a cyclone climatology. Monthly Weather Review 110: 1–4. , .
- 2001. A study of NAO variability and its possible non-linear influences on European surface temperature. Climate Dynamics 17: 701–715. , , , .
- 1976. A technique for analyzing the linear relationship between two meteorological fields. Monthly Weather Review 11: 1345–1353. .
- 2000a. Is the North Atlantic oscillation the most important atmospheric pattern for precipitation in Europe? Journal of Geophysical Research 105: 901–910. , , .
- 2000b. Spatial–temporal structures of the quasi-periodic oscillations in precipitation over Europe. International Journal of Climatology 20: 1583–1598. , , .
- 1999. Low-frequency variability of seasonal rainfall over Iberian Peninsula and ENSO. International Journal of Climatology 19: 889–901. .
- 1997. Variations in seasonal rainfall in southern Europe during the present century: relationships with the North Atlantic oscillation and the El Niño–southern oscillation. Climate Dynamics 13: 275–284. , , .
- 1998. Spatial and temporal patterns of annual precipitation variability over the Iberian Peninsula. International Journal of Climatology 18: 299–316. , , , .
- 1997. North Atlantic storm track variability and its association to the North Atlantic oscillation and climate variability of northern Europe. Journal of Climate 10: 1635–1647. .
- 1999. A classification of the atmospheric circulation in patterns producing significant daily rainfall in the Spanish Mediterranean area. International Journal of Climatology 19: 765–785. , , , .
- 2003. Weather regimes in the South American sector and neighbouring oceans during winter. Climate Dynamics 21: 91–104. , .
- 2003. An estimate of the effects of climate change on the rainfall of Mediterranean Spain by the late twenty first century. Climate Dynamics 20: 789–805. , , , , , .
- 2000. Circulation weather types and their influence on the precipitation regime in Portugal. International Journal of Climatology 20: 1559–1581. , .
- 2002. The North Atlantic oscillation influence on Europe. Climate impacts and associated physical mechanisms. Climate Research 20: 9–17. , , .
- 1983. Climatología de España y Portugal. Instituto Nacional de Meteorologia: Madrid. .
- 1999. Dependence of winter precipitation over Portugal on NAO and baroclinic wave activity. International Journal of Climatology 19: 379–390. , , , .
- 1999. Statistical Analysis in Climate Research. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. , .
- 1981. Teleconnections in the geopotential height field during the Northern Hemisphere winter. Monthly Weather Review 109: 784–812. , .
- 1999. Precipitation in Europe in relation to circulation patterns at the 500 hPa level. International Journal of Climatology 19: 253–269. .
- 2000. Precipitation predictors for downscaling: observed and general circulation model relationships. International Journal of Climatology 20: 641–661. , .
- 1995. Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences: An Introduction. Academic Press. .
- 1992. The atmospheric circulation and sea surface temperature in the North Atlantic area in winter: their interaction and relevance for Iberian precipitation. Journal of Climate 5: 1097–1108. , , .