Climate warming impacts on snowpack accumulation in an alpine watershed
Article first published online: 18 MAR 2005
Copyright © 2005 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 25, Issue 4, pages 521–536, 30 March 2005
How to Cite
Lapp, S., Byrne, J., Townshend, I. and Kienzle, S. (2005), Climate warming impacts on snowpack accumulation in an alpine watershed. Int. J. Climatol., 25: 521–536. doi: 10.1002/joc.1140
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2005
- Article first published online: 18 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 15 NOV 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 NOV 2004
- Manuscript Received: 13 JAN 2003
- 2000. Meteorology Today, 6th edn. Brooks/Cole Publishing: Toronto. .
- 1989. Three phase runoff model for small prairie rivers: I. Frozen soil assessment. Canadian Water Resources Journal 14(2): 17–28. .
- 1998. Spatial analysis of strong El Nino event impacts on the Canadian prairies. Canadian Water Resources Journal 23(3): 231–243. , .
- 1999. Linking observed and general circulation model upper air circulation patterns to current and future snow runoff for the Rocky Mountains. Water Resources Research 35: 3793–3802. , , .
- 1993. Annual snowpack patterns across the Rockies: long-term trends and associated 500-mb synoptic patterns. Monthly Weather Review 121: 633–647. , , .
- 1998. Statistical downscaling of subgridscale precipitation. In Regionalization in Hydrology, DiekkrügerB, KirkbyMJ, SchröderU (eds). IAHS Publication No. 254. IAHS Press: Wallingford; 79–85. , .
- 1996. Some aspects of the interaction of blowing snow with the atmospheric boundary layer. Hydrologic Processes 10: 1345–1358. , .
- 1999. A bulk blowing snow model. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 93: 237–251. , .
- 1998. The thermodynamic effects of sublimating, blowing snow in the atmospheric boundary layer. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 89: 251–283. , , .
- 2002. Physical Hydrology, 2nd edn. Prentice-Hall: Upper Saddle River, NJ. .
- Environment Canada. 1998. Canadian Prairie Daily Climate Data CDROM.
- Environment Canada. 1999. Canadian Prairie Daily Climate Data CDROM.
- 2000. The Canadian Centre for Climate Modelling and Analysis global coupled model and its climate. Climate Dynamics 16: 451–467. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Enhanced climate change and its detection over the Rocky Mountains. Journal of Climate 12: 230–243. , .
- 1974. Weather modification for augmenting orographic precipitation. In Weather and Climate Modification, HessWN (ed.). John Wiley: 282–317. , .
- Emissions pathways, climate change, and impacts on California. 101: 12 422–12 427. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Seasonal prediction with error estimation of Columbia River streamflow in British Columbia. Journal of Water Resources, Planning & Management 129: 146–149. , , , .
- 1989. MTCLIM: mountain microclimate simulation model. Research Paper INT-414, US Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Intermountain Research Station, Ogden, UT. , , , .
- 2004. Sensitivity of local daily temperature change estimates to the selection of downscaling models and predictors. Journal of Climate 17: 640–652. .
- 1998. Comparison of statistical and model-based downscaling techniques for estimating local climate variations. Journal of Climate 11: 735–753. , .
- 2003. Decadal variability in climate and glacier fluctuations on Mt Baker, Washington, USA. Geografiska Annaler Series A: Physical Geography 85: 43–55. .
- 2002. Linking global circulation model synoptics and precipitation for western North America. International Journal of Climatology 22: 1807–1817. , , , .
- 1998. Evidence of climate change effects on the hydrology of streams in south-central B.C. Canadian Water Resources Journal 23: 219–230. , .
- 1999. Pacific Northwest climate sensitivity simulated by a regional climate model driven by a GCM. Part II: 2 × CO2 simulations. Journal of Climate 12: 2031–2053. , .
- 1999. Evaporation from snow in the central Sierra Nevada of California. Nordic Hydrology 30: 81–108. , .
- 1999. An evaluation of statistical and dynamic techniques for downscaling local climate. Journal of Climate 12: 2256–2284. .
- 1977. UBC watershed model users guide. Department of Civil Engineering, University of British Columbia. , .
- 1998. Optical properties of blowing snow. Journal of Glaciology 34: 3–9. , .
- 1994. Annual and seasonal climate and climatic changes in the Canadian prairies simulated by the CCC GCM. Atmosphere–Ocean 32(3): 621–641. , .
- 1999. Using synoptic pressure data for generating grid-scale precipitation. International Journal of Climatology 19: 1165–1176. , .
- 1996. Generating regional precipitation from observed and GCM synoptic-scale pressure fields, southern Alberta, Canada. Climate Research 6: 237–249. , .
- 1982a. Vertical profiles of wind speed, snow concentrations, and humidity in blowing snow. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 23: 223–246. .
- 1982b. Properties of blowing snow. Reviews of Geophysics and Space Physics 20: 39–44. .
- 1991. The sublimation of snow intercepted by an artificial conifer. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 54(1): 1–27. .
- 1998. Sublimation of snowpacks in subalpine conifer forests. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 28: 501–513. , , .
- 2004. Summer drought patterns in Canada and the relationship to global sea surface temperatures. Journal of Climate 17: 2866–2880. , .
- 1996. Modelling hydrometeorology in the upper Oldman River basin. Master of Science thesis, University of Lethbridge, Canada. .
- 1966. The evaporation of ice spheres and ice crystals. British Journal of Applied Physics 17: 541–548. , .
- 1999. A space–time downscaling model for rainfall. Journal of Geophysical Research D: Atmospheres 104: 19 705–19 721. , , .
- 1995. Modeling snowpack accumulation and depletion. In GuyBT, BarnardJ (eds). Mountain Hydrology Peaks and Valleys in Research and Applications Conference Proceedings, May 16–19, 1995. Canadian Water Resources Association: Cambridge, Ontario. .