The impact of non-stationarities in the climate system on the definition of ‘a normal wind year’: a case study from the Baltic
Article first published online: 26 APR 2005
Copyright © 2005 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 25, Issue 6, pages 735–752, May 2005
How to Cite
Pryor, S. C., Barthelmie, R. J. and Schoof, J. T. (2005), The impact of non-stationarities in the climate system on the definition of ‘a normal wind year’: a case study from the Baltic. Int. J. Climatol., 25: 735–752. doi: 10.1002/joc.1151
- Issue published online: 16 MAY 2005
- Article first published online: 26 APR 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 24 NOV 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 NOV 2004
- Manuscript Received: 4 FEB 2004
- Nordic Energy Research
- Danish PSO-F&U
- IBM Inc.
- National Science Foundation. Grant Number: 0116050
- 2000. Trends of storms in NW Europe derived from an updated pressure data set. Climate Research 14: 71–73. , , , .
- 1997. Impact of a wind climate change on the surge in the southern North Sea. Climate Research 8: 45–59. .
- 1996. The increasing wave height in the North Atlantic Ocean. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Office 77: 2275–2277. , , .
- 2002. Future wind, wave and storm surge climate in the northern North Atlantic. Climate Research 23: 39–49. , , .
- 1989. A global climatology of albedo, roughness length and stomatal resistance for atmospheric general circulation models as represented by the Simple Biosphere model (SiB). Journal of Applied Meteorology 28: 833–855. , .
- 2001. 50 year return wind around Denmark from global reanalysis data. Wind energy for the new millennium. In 2001 European Wind Energy Conference and Exhibition (EWEC '01), Copenhagen, DK. WIP Renewable Energies: München. , .
- 2001. Variability of the North Atlantic cyclone activity in winter analyzed from NCEP–NCAR reanalysis data. Journal of Climate 14: 3863–3873. , .
- 1999. Katalog der Grosswetterlagen Europas nach Paul Hess and Helmuth Brezokwsky (1881–1998). Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, Potsdam, Germany. , .
- 2000. The North Atlantic oscillation. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment 14: 213–242. .
- 2001. The North Atlantic oscillation in the NCEP–NCAR reanalysis. Journal of Climate 14: 2404–2413. , .
- 2000. Artificial surface pressure trends in the NCEP–NCAR reanalysis over the Southern Ocean and Antarctica. Journal of Climate 13: 3940–3952. , , .
- HoughtonJT, DingY, GmggsDJ, NoguerM, van der LindenPJ, DaiX, MaskellK, JohnsonCA (eds). 2001. Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK.
- 1997. The second Hadley Centre coupled ocean–atmosphere GCM: model description, spinup and validation. Climate Dynamics 13: 103–134. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Impact of urbanization and land-use change on climate. Nature 423: 528–531. , .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40 reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The NCEP–NCAR 50 year reanalysis: monthly mean CD-ROM and documentation. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 82: 247–267. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Sampling statistics of atmospheric observations. Wind Energy 5: 301–313. , , .
- 2002. Trends in Antarctic geopotential height and temperature: a comparison between radiosonde and NCEP–NCAR reanalysis data. Journal of Climate 15: 659–674. .
- 2001. North Atlantic climate variability: phenomena, impacts and mechanisms. International Journal of Climatology 21: 1863–1898. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Wind climate simulation over complex terrain and wind turbine energy output estimation. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 63: 129–139. .
- NakicenovicN, SwartR (eds). 2000. Special Report on Emissions Scenarios. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK.
- 1986. Weibull statistics of wind speed over the ocean. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 25: 1324–1332. , .
- 2000. The impact of new physical parameterizations in the Hadley Centre climate model: HadAM3. Climate Dynamics 16: 123–146. , , , .
- 2002. Statistical analysis of flow characteristics in the coastal zone. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 90: 201–221. , .
- 2003. Long term trends in near surface flow over the Baltic. International Journal of Climatology 23: 271–289. , .
- 2004. Can satellite sampling of offshore wind speeds realistically represent wind speed distributions? Part II. quantifying uncertainties associated with sampling strategy and distribution fitting methods. Journal of Applied Meteorology 43: 739–750. , , , .
- 2000. A neural network approach to local downscaling of GCM output for assessing wind power implications of climate change. Renewable Energy 19: 359–378. , , , .
- 2003. UK adaptation strategy and technical measures: the impacts of climate change on buildings. Building Research and Information 31: 210–221. , .
- 2003. Evaluation of the NCEP–NCAR reanalysis in terms of synoptic scale phenomena: a case study from the Midwestern USA. International Journal of Climatology 23: 1725–1741. , .
- 1997. Icelandic low cyclone activity: climatological features, linkages with the NAO and relationships with recent changes in the Northern Hemisphere circulation. Journal of Climate 10: 453–464. , , .
- 2000. The ERA-40 Project Plan. UK Meteorological Office, UK. http://www.ecmwf.int/publications/library/do/references/list/192. [Last accessed 6 March 2005]. , .
- 2001. Quantifying uncertainties in NCEP reanalyses using high-quality research vessel observations. Journal of Climate 14: 4062–4072. , , .
- 1986. Tests based on EDF statistics. In Goodness-of-Fit Techniques, D'AgostinoRB, StephensMA, (eds). Marcel Dekker: New York; 97–193. .
- 1999. A high resolution AMIP integration using the Hadley Centre model HadAM2b. Climate Dynamics 15: 9–28. .
- The WASA Group. 1998. Changing waves and storms in the northeast Atlantic. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 79: 741–760.
- 2002. A pathological problem with NCEP reanalysis in the stratosphere. Journal of Climate 15: 690–695. , .
- 1999. A shift of the NAO and increasing storm track activity over Europe due to anthropogenic greenhouse gas forcing. Climate Dynamics 15: 551–559. , .
- 1999. Statistical Analysis in Climate Research. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK. , .