Trends in indices for extremes in daily temperature and precipitation in central and western Europe, 1901–99
Article first published online: 20 JUN 2005
Copyright © 2005 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 25, Issue 9, pages 1149–1171, July 2005
How to Cite
Moberg, A. and Jones, P. D. (2005), Trends in indices for extremes in daily temperature and precipitation in central and western Europe, 1901–99. Int. J. Climatol., 25: 1149–1171. doi: 10.1002/joc.1163
- Issue published online: 6 JUL 2005
- Article first published online: 20 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 10 JAN 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 JAN 2005
- Manuscript Received: 29 MAR 2004
- 2001. Regional temperature variability in the European Alps: 1760–1998 from homogenized instrumental time series. International Journal of Climatology 12: 1779–1801. , , , , , .
- 2001. Characteristics of daily and extreme temperatures over Canada. Journal of Climate 14: 1959–1976. , , , .
- 2004. Changes in daily precipitation frequency in Italy over the last 120 years. Journal of Geophysical Research 109: D05102. DOI: 10.1029/2003JD004296. , , , .
- 1996. Recent trends in maximum and minimum temperature threshold exceedances in the northeastern United States. Journal of Climate 9: 1646–1660. .
- 2003. Variability of extreme temperature events in south-central Europe during the 20th century and its relationship with large-scale circulation. International Journal of Climatology 23: 987–1010. , , , , .
- 2002. Recent changes in frost days and the frost-free season in the United States. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 83: 1327–1332. .
- 2003. CCI/CLIVAR Workshop to develop priority climate indices. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 84: 1403–1407. , , , .
- 1983. Resistant lines for y versus x. In Understanding Robust and Exploratory Data Analysis, HoaglinDC, MostellerF, TukeyJW (eds). John Wiley: New York. , .
- 2001. Observed climate variability and change. In Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, HoughtonJT, DingY, GriggsDJ, NoguerM, van der LindenPJ, DaiX, MaskellK, JohnsonCA (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Detection probability of trends in rare events: theory and application to heavy precipitation in the alpine region. Journal of Climate 14: 1568–1584. , .
- 2002. Observed coherent changes in climatic extremes during the second half of the twentieth century. Climate Research 19: 193–212. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Interannual variability of European extreme winter rainfall and links with mean large-scale circulation. International Journal of Climatology 24: 759–776. , .
- 2004. Detectability of anthropogenic changes in annual temperature and precipitation extremes. Journal of Climate 17: 3683–3700. , , , .
- 2001. The changing incidence of extremes in worldwide and central England temperatures to the end of the twentieth century. Climatic Change 50: 267–295. , , .
- 1995. Decadal trends in the North Atlantic oscillation: regional temperatures and precipitation. Science 269: 676–679. .
- 2002. A change in summer atmospheric circulation over the North Atlantic. CLIVAR Exchanges 7(3–4): 52–54. , .
- 2003. An overview of the North Atlantic oscillation. In The North Atlantic Oscillation: Climatic Significance and Environmental Impact, HurrellJW, KushnirY, OttersenG, VisbeckM (eds). Geophysical Monograph Series, 134. American Geophysical Union: Washington; 1–35. , , , .
- 1999. CLIVAR/GCOS/WMO Workshop on indices and indicators for climate extremes—Workshop summary. Climatic Change 42: 3–7. , , .
- 2000. Changes in the extremes in an ensemble of transient climate simulations with a coupled atmosphere–ocean GCM. Journal of Climate 13: 3760–3788. , .
- 2003. Comparison of modelled and observed trends in indices of daily climate extremes. Journal of Climate 16: 3560–3571. , , , .
- 2003. Trends in indices of daily temperature and precipitation extremes in Europe, 1946–1999. Journal of Climate 16: 3665–3680. , .
- 2002b. Climate of Europe. Assessment of observed daily temperature and precipitation records. KNMI, De Bilt, the Netherlands. , , .
- 2002. Temporal fluctuations in heat waves at Prague–Klementinum, the Czech Republic, from 1901–97, and their relationships to atmospheric circulation. International Journal of Climatology 23: 33–50. .
- 2001. North Atlantic climate variability: phenomena, impacts and mechanisms. International Journal of Climatology 21: 1863–1898. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Daily Milan temperature and pressure series (1763–1998): completing and homogenising the data. Climatic Change 53: 119–149. , , , .
- 2003. Were southern Swedish summer temperatures before 1860 as warm as measured? International Journal of Climatology 23: 1495–1521. , , , .
- 2001. The insignificance of significance testing. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 81: 981–986. .
- 1996. Observed climate variability and change. In Climate Change 1995. The Science of Climate Change: Contribution of Working Group I to the Second Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, HoughtonJT, Meira FilhoLG, CallanderBA, HarrisN, KattenbergA, MaskellK (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge 133–192. , , , , , .
- 2001. Report on the activities of the Working Group on Climate Change Detection and Related Rapporteurs 1998–2001. Report WCDMP-47, WMO-TD 1071. World Meteorological Organization, Geneva, Switzerland. , , , , , .
- 2002. Recent changes in climate extremes in the Caribbean region. Journal of Geophysical Research—Atmospheres 107(D21): 4601. DOI: 10.1029/2002JD002251. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Changes in climate extremes over the Australian region and New Zealand during the twentieth century. Climatic Change 42: 183–202. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Secular trends in daily precipitation characteristics: greenhouse gas simulation with a coupled AOGCM. Climate Dynamics 19: 123–140. , .
- 2001. Homogeneity adjustments of temperature and precipitation series—Finnish and Nordic data. International Journal of Climatology 21: 495–506. .
- 1999. Statistical Analysis in Climate Research. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. , .
- 2003. Homogeneity of 20th century European daily temperature and precipitation series. International Journal of Climatology 23: 679–692. , , .
- 1997. Resampling hypothesis tests for autocorrelated fields. Journal of Climate 10: 65–82. .
- 2003. Trends in temperature extremes during 1951–1999 in China. Geophysical Research Letters 30(17): 1913. DOI: 10.1029/2003GL018004. , .
- 1999. Changes of climate extremes in China. Climatic Change 42: 203–218. , , , , , .