Quantifying random measurement errors in Voluntary Observing Ships' meteorological observations
Article first published online: 6 JUN 2005
Copyright © 2005 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Special Issue: Advances in Marine Climatology
Volume 25, Issue 7, pages 843–856, 15 June 2005
How to Cite
Kent, E. C. and Berry, D. I. (2005), Quantifying random measurement errors in Voluntary Observing Ships' meteorological observations. Int. J. Climatol., 25: 843–856. doi: 10.1002/joc.1167
- Issue published online: 6 JUN 2005
- Article first published online: 6 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 AUG 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 9 AUG 2004
- Manuscript Received: 30 APR 2004
- 2004. An analytical model of heating errors in marine air temperatures from ships. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 21(8): 1198–1215. , , .
- 2003. Combined estimates of uncertainties in gridded marine temperature fields due to measurement errors and under-sampling of variability. In Proceedings of Second JCOMM Workshop on Advances in Marine Climatology (CLIMAR-II), Brussels, 17–22 November. WMO/TD-No. 1199 (available on CD-ROM from World Meteorological Organization, Geneva, Switzerland). , , , , .
- 2002. Workshop on advances in the use of historical marine climate data. WMO Bulletin 51: 377–380. , , , , , .
- 1987. A field evaluation of NDBC moored buoy winds. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 4(1): 94–104. .
- 1997. Uncertainties in global ocean surface heat flux climatologies derived from ship observations. Journal of Climate 10: 2764–2781. , .
- 1999. Comparison of COADS release la winds with instrumental measurements in the northwest Atlantic. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 16(1): 133–145. .
- 2003. Assessment of the reliability of wave observations from voluntary observing ships: insights from the validation of a global wind wave climatology based on voluntary observing ship data. Journal of Geophysical Research 108(C7): 3236. DOI: 10.1029/2002JC001437. , , , .
- 1986. Mean surface energy fluxes over the global ocean. Journal of Geophysical Research 91(C9): 10 585–10 606. .
- 1987. The Bunker Climate Atlas of the North Atlantic Ocean. Vol. 2: Air–Sea Interactions. Springer-Verlag. , .
- 1997. Estimating sampling errors in large-scale temperature averages. Journal of Climate 10: 2548–2568. , , .
- 1999. New insights into the ocean heat budget closure problem from analysis of the SOC air–sea flux climatology. Journal of Climate 12(9): 2856–2880. , , .
- Towards estimating climatic trends in SST data, part 2: random errors. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology. , . In press.
- Towards estimating climatic trends in SST data, part 3: systematic errors. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology. , . Accepted for publication.
- 1996. Accuracy of humidity measurements on ships: consideration of solar radiation effects. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 13(6): 1317–1321. , .
- 1997. Choice of a Beaufort Equivalent Scale. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 14(2): 228–242. , .
- Towards estimating climatic trends in SST data, part 1: methods of measurement. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology. , . In press.
- 1993. The accuracy of voluntary observing ship's meteorological observations—results of the VSOP-NA. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 10(4): 591–608. , , , .
- 1998. A comparison of ship and scatterometer-derived wind speed data in open ocean and coastal areas. International Journal of Remote Sensing 19(17): 3361–3381. , , .
- 1999. A statistical determination of the random observational errors present in voluntary observing ships meteorological reports. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 16: 905–914. , , .
- 1995. A New Beaufort Equivalent Scale. In Proceedings of the International COADS Winds Workshop, Kiel, Germany, Institut für Meereskunde and NOAA Environmental Research Labs; 232–252. .
- 2003. Errors of Atlantic air–sea fluxes derived from ship observations. Journal of Climate 16: 783–788. .
- Met Office. 1969. Marine Observer's Guide, ninth edition. HMSO: London.
- Met Office. 1995. Marine Observer's Guide, eleventh edition. HMSO: London.
- 2005. An overview of the airflow distortion at anemometer sites on ships. International Journal of Climatology 25: 997–1006; this issue. , , , .
- 1986. The observational error of automated wind reports from aircraft. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 67: 177–185. .
- National Geophysical Data Center. 1998. Digital relief of the surface of the earth, data announcement 88-MGG-02, NOAA, Boulder, Colorado, USA. http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/ [accessed 21 March 2005].
- 1988. An atlas based on the ‘COADS’ data set: the budgets of heat, buoyancy and turbulent kinetic energy at the surface of the global ocean. Max-Planck-Institut für Meteorologie, Report No 15, Hamburg, 20pp plus figures. .
- 2004. The Second JCOMM Workshop on Advances in Marine Climatology (CLIMAR-II). WMO Bulletin 53(2): 157–159. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Global analyses of SST, sea ice and night marine air temperature since the late 19th century. Journal of Geophysical Research 108(D14): 4407. DOI: 10.1029/2002JD002670. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Improved analyses of change and uncertainties in sea surface temperature measured in situ since the mid-nineteenth century. Journal of Climate, submitted for publication. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Establishing more truth in true winds. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 16(7): 939–952. , , .
- 2004. Improved extended reconstruction of SST (1854–1997). Journal of Climate 17(12): 2466–2477. , .
- 2005. Methods to homogenize wind speeds from ships and buoys. International Journal of Climatology 25: 979–995; this issue. , , .
- 1989. Uncertainties in estimates of surface heat fluxes derived from marine reports over the tropical and subtropical oceans. Tellus, Series A: Dynamic Meteorology and Oceanography 41: 357–370. .
- 1990. A study of differences between environmental reports by ships in the voluntary observing program and measurements from NOAA buoys. Journal of Geophysical Research 95(C3): 3373–3385. , .
- WMO. 1994. International list of selected, supplementary and auxiliary ships. WMO Report No. 47. WMO, Geneva.
- 1997. Trimming problems and remedies in COADS. Journal of Climate 10: 1980–1997. .
- 1987. A comprehensive ocean–atmosphere data set. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 68: 1239–1250. , , , .
- 1993. Comprehensive Ocean–Atmosphere Data Set (COADS) release 1a: 1980–92. Earth System Monitor 4(1): 4–8. , , , , .
- 1998. COADS release 2 data and metadata enhancements for improvements of marine surface flux fields. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth 23: 517–527. , , , .
- 2002. CFD model estimates of the airflow over research ships and the impact on momentum flux measurements. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 19(10): 1477–1499. , , , .