Regime shift in the global sea-surface temperatures: its relation to El Niño–southern oscillation events and dominant variation modes
Version of Record online: 6 JUN 2005
Copyright © 2005 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Special Issue: Advances in Marine Climatology
Volume 25, Issue 7, pages 913–930, 15 June 2005
How to Cite
Yasunaka, S. and Hanawa, K. (2005), Regime shift in the global sea-surface temperatures: its relation to El Niño–southern oscillation events and dominant variation modes. Int. J. Climatol., 25: 913–930. doi: 10.1002/joc.1172
- Issue online: 6 JUN 2005
- Version of Record online: 6 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 7 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Received: 2 MAY 2004
- Japan Society for Promotion of Science
- 1995. A mechanism for the recurrence of wintertime midlatitude SST anomalies. Journal of Physical Oceanography 25: 122–137. , .
- 1987. Classification, seasonality and persistence of low-frequency atmospheric circulation pattern. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1083–1126. , .
- 2001. ENSO, Pacific decadal variability, and U.S. summertime precipitation, drought and stream flow. Journal of Climate 14: 2105–2128. , , .
- 1993. Surface climate variations over the North Atlantic Ocean during winter: 1900–1989. Journal of Climate 6: 1743–1753. , .
- 1995. On the relationship between tropical and North Pacific sea surface temperature variations. Journal of Climate 8: 1677–1680. , .
- 1999. Interannual (ENSO) and interdecadal (ENSO-like) variability in the Southern Hemisphere tropospheric circulation. Journal of Climate 12: 2113–2123. , .
- 2004. ‘Reemergence’ areas of winter sea surface temperature anomalies in the world's oceans. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L10303. DOI: 10.1029/2004GL019904. , .
- 2003. Decadal-scale variability of upper ocean heat content in the tropical Pacific. Geophysical Research Letters 30: 1272. DOI: 10.1029/2002GL016843. , .
- 2004. A relationship between timing of El Nino onset and subsequent evolution. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L06304. DOI: 10.1029/2003GL019239. , .
- 1995. Decadal trends in the North Atlantic oscillation: regional temperatures and precipitation. Science 269: 676–679. .
- 1987. A data bank of Antarctic surface temperature and pressure data. DOE/ER/60397-H2 TR038, Office of Energy Research, Carbon Dioxide Research Division, US Department of Energy, Washington, DC. , .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Reduced space optimal interpolation of historical marine sea level pressure: 1854–1992. Journal of Climate 13: 2987–3002. , , .
- 1989. Southern Hemisphere circulation features associated with El Niño–southern oscillation events. Journal of Climate 2: 1239–1252. .
- 1996. Decadal variations of the Southern Hemisphere circulation. International Journal of Climatology 16: 723–732. , , .
- 1994. A rotated EOF analysis of global sea surface temperature variability with interannual and interdecadal scales. Journal of Physical Oceanography 24: 707–715. .
- 1994. Interdecadal variations in North Atlantic sea surface temperature and associated atmospheric circulation. Journal of Climate 7: 141–157. .
- 1996. Resistant, robust and non-parametric techniques for the analysis of climate data. theory and examples, including applications to historical radiosonde station data. International Journal of Climatology 16: 1197–1226. .
- 1996. Decadal climate variability over the North Pacific and North America: dynamics and predictability. Journal of Climate 9: 2407–2423. , .
- 2001. Long-term El Niño–southern oscillation (ENSO)-like variation with special emphasis on the South Pacific. Journal of Geophysical Research 106: 22 211–22 227. , .
- 1999. The digitized Kobe Collection: historical surface marine meteorological observations in the archival of the Japan Meteorological Agency. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 80: 2703–2715. .
- 1997. A Pacific interdecadal climate oscillation with impacts on salmon production. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 1069–1079. , , , , .
- 2002. Role of the ocean in the decadal climate change in the North Pacific. Journal of Geophysical Research 107: 3224. DOI: 10.1029/2002JC001420. .
- 1997. A 50–70 year climatic oscillation over the North Pacific and North America. Geophysical Research Letters 24: 683–686. .
- 2000. Relationships between low-frequency variability in the Southern Hemisphere and sea surface temperature anomalies. Journal of Climate 13: 3599–3610. .
- 1970. Temporal coherence in North Pacific sea-surface temperature patterns. Journal of Geophysical Research 75: 5952–5955. , .
- 2000. Variations in ENSO phase locking. Journal of Climate 13: 2570–2590. , , .
- 1989. Recent warming of tropical sea surface temperature and its relationship to the Northern Hemisphere circulation. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 67: 375–383. , .
- 1999. Decadal variability of the Aleutian low and its relation to high-latitude circulation. Journal of Climate 12: 1542–1548. , , .
- 2000. Chaos in the North Pacific: spatial modes and temporal irregularity. Progress in Oceanography 47: 337–354. , , .
- 1982. Variations in tropical sea surface temperature and surface wind fields associated with the southern oscillation/El Niño. Monthly Weather Review 110: 354–384. , .
- 1996. Version 2.2 of the global sea-ice and sea surface temperature data set, 1903–1994. CRTN 74. Available from Hadley Centre, Met Office, Bracknell, UK. , , , , .
- 1982. Spatial variability of sea level pressure and 500 mb height anomalies over the Southern Hemisphere. Monthly Weather Review 110: 1375–1392. , .
- 2002. Extended reconstruction of global sea surface temperatures based on COADS data (1854–1997). Journal of Climate 16: 1495–1510. , .
- 1996. The abrupt decrease of the sea ice over the southern part of the Sea of Okhotsk in 1989 and its relation to the recent weakening of the Aleutian low. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 74: 579–584. , , .
- 1999. Ocean–atmospheric variability over the pan-Atlantic basin. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 77: 31–46. , .
- 1997. Relationship between sea surface temperature, the atmospheric circulation and air–sea fluxes on multiple time scales. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 75: 831–849. , , .
- 2000. Annular modes in the extratropical circulation. Part I: month-to-month variability. Journal of Climate 13: 1000–1017. , .
- 2000. Annular modes in the extratropical circulation. Part II: trend. Journal of Climate 13: 1018–1036. , , .
- 1990. Recent observed climate changes in the Northern Hemisphere. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 71: 988–993. .
- 1997. The definition of El Niño. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 2771–2777. .
- 2000. The southern oscillation revisited: sea level pressure, surface temperature, and precipitation. Journal of Climate 13: 4358–4365. , .
- 2000. On the persistence of decadal SST anomalies in the North Atlantic. Journal of Climate 13: 3017–3027. , .
- 1976. Empirical orthogonal analysis of Pacific sea surface temperatures. Journal of Physical Oceanography 6: 671–678. , , .
- 1997. Slow variability in the equatorial west-central Pacific in relation to ENSO. Journal of Climate 10: 1998–2017. , .
- 1987. A comprehensive ocean–atmosphere data set. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 68: 1239–1250. , , , .
- 2002. Regime shifts found in the Northern Hemisphere SST field. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 80: 119–135. , .
- 2003. Regime shifts in the Northern Hemisphere SST field: revisited in relation to tropical variations. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 81: 415–424. , .
- 1997. ENSO-like interdecadal variability: 1900–93. Journal of Climate 10: 1004–1020. , , .