Methods to homogenize wind speeds from ships and buoys
Version of Record online: 6 JUN 2005
Copyright © 2005 Environment Canada.
International Journal of Climatology
Special Issue: Advances in Marine Climatology
Volume 25, Issue 7, pages 979–995, 15 June 2005
How to Cite
Thomas, B. R., Kent, E. C. and Swail, V. R. (2005), Methods to homogenize wind speeds from ships and buoys. Int. J. Climatol., 25: 979–995. doi: 10.1002/joc.1176
- Issue online: 6 JUN 2005
- Version of Record online: 6 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 7 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Received: 9 MAY 2004
- Canadian Federal Program of Energy Research and Development
- Axys Environmental Consulting Ltd. 1996. Meteorological and oceanographic measurements from Canadian weather buoys. A review of sensors, data reduction, transmission, quality control and archival methods. Report for Environment Canada, April, 1996.
- 1996. Windsnelheidsmetingen op zeestations en kuststations: herleiding waarden windsnelheid naar 10-meter niveau. Koninklijk Nederlands Meteorologisch Instituut Technical Report No. 188, KNMI De Bilt, 1996. (with an English summary.). .
- 2004. An analytical model of heating errors in marine air temperatures from ships. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 21(8): 1198–1215. , , .
- 1990. On trends in historical marine data. Journal of Climate 3: 113–127. , , .
- 2004. An intercomparison of TOPEX, NSCAT, and ECMWF wind speed: illustrating and understanding discrepancies. Monthly Weather Review 132: 780–792. .
- 2002. Workshop on Advances in the Use of Historical Marine Climate Data. WMO Bulletin 51: 377–380. , , , , , .
- 1986. Comparisons of wind reports by ships and data buoys. In Proceedings, Marine Data Systems International Symposium, New Orleans; 447–466. , .
- 1981. Review of reference height for and averaging time of surface wind measurements at sea. Marine Meteorology and Related Oceanographic Activities Report No. 25, WMO, Geneva. .
- 2002. Evaluation of wind vectors observed by QuikSCAT/SeaWinds using ocean buoy data. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 19: 2049–2062. , , .
- 1994. A new approach for determining fully empirical altimeter wind speed model functions. Journal of Geophysical Research 99: 25 051–25 062. , .
- 1987. A field evaluation of NDBC moored buoy winds. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 4: 94–104. .
- 1996. Intercalibration of wave and wind data from TOPEX/POSDEIDON and moored buoy off the west coast of Canada. Journal of Geophysical Research 101: 3817–3827. .
- 1999. Comparison of COADS Release 1a winds with instrumental measurements in the northwest Atlantic. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 16: 133–145. .
- 1997. A similarity analysis of the structure of airflow over surface waves. Journal of Physical Oceanography 27: 1018–1037. , , , .
- 2000. Are moored buoy winds too low in high seas? Western Region Technical Attachment No. 00-10, NOAA, 29 August 2000. .
- 1985. A correction for the errors in ship reports of light winds. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 2: 353–356. , .
- 1995. Trends in wind and sea-level pressure in the tropical Pacific Ocean for the period 1950–1979. International Journal of Climatology 15: 35–52. , .
- 1990. Linear-regression in astronomy: I. Astrophysical Journal 364: 104–113. , , , .
- 1999. On the effect of ocean waves on the kinetic energy balance and consequences for the inertial dissipation technique. Journal of Physical Oceanography 29: 530–534. .
- 2005. Quantifying random measurement errors in voluntary observing ships' meteorological observations. International Journal of Climatology 25: 843–856; this issue. , .
- 2005. Towards estimating climatic trends in SST, part 3: systematic biases. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology submitted for publication. , .
- 1997. Choice of a Beaufort Equivalent Scale. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 14: 228–242. , .
- 1993. The accuracy of voluntary observing ship's meteorological observations—results of the VSOP-NA. Journal Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 10: 591–608. , , , .
- 1998. A comparison of ship and scatterometer-derived wind speed data in open ocean and coastal areas. International Journal of Remote Sensing 19: 3361–3381. , , .
- 1995. Accounting for surface wind distortion of the marine wind profile in low-level ocean storms wind measurements. Journal Physical Oceanography 25: 2959–2971. , , .
- 1995a. A new Beaufort equivalent scale. In Proceedings of International COADS Winds Workshop, 1 May–2 June 1994, Kiel, Germany. Institut fur Meereskunde/Christian-Albrechts-Universitat: Kiel; 232–252. .
- 1995b. Time dependent calibration of marine Beaufort estimates using individual pressure differences. In Proceedings of International COADS Winds Workshop, 1 May–2 June 1994, Kiel, Germany. Institut fur Meereskunde/Christian-Albrechts-Universitat: Kiel; 253–269. .
- 2003. Errors of Atlantic air–sea fluxes derived from ship observations. Journal of Climate 16: 783–788. .
- 1947. Regression lines and the linear functional relation. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series B: Statistical Methodology 9: 218–244. .
- 2005. An overview of the airflow distortion at anemometer sites on ships. International Journal of Climatology 25: 997–1006; this issue. , , , .
- 1987. Did the Beaufort scale or the wind climate change? Journal of Physical Oceanography 17: 1071–1074. , .
- 1983. The measurement of synoptic scale wind over the ocean. Journal of Geophysical Research 88: 1683–1708. .
- 1989. Tropical climate trends since 1960. Journal of Climate 2: 731–736. , , .
- 1980. Climatic comparisons of estimated and measured winds from ships. Journal of Applied Meteorology 19: 142–156. .
- 1987. Regression techniques for the detection of analytical bias. Analyst 112: 377–383. , .
- 1988. Coefficients for sea surface wind stress, heat flux, and wind profiles as a function of wind speed and temperature. Journal of Geophysical Research 93: 15 467–15 472. .
- 1999. Establishing more truth in true winds. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 16: 939–952. , , .
- 1988. An Introduction to Boundary Layer Meteorology, 1st edition. Kluwer Academic Publishers: Dordrecht. .
- 2002. On the accuracy of wind and wave measurements from buoys. Data Buoy Cooperation Panel Technical Documents No. 21-2002. Presentations at the DBCP Technical Workshop, Perth, Australia, October 2001. , , , , .
- 1999. A methodology for homogenizing wind speeds from ships and buoys. Preprints, WMO Workshop on Advances in Marine Climatology (CLIMAR99), 8–15 September, Vancouver, BC. , .
- 2002. Methods to reduce biases in wind speeds from ships and buoys. In 7th International Workshop on Wave Hindcasting and Forecasting, 21–25 October, Banff, AB, Canada; 523–534. , .
- 2004. Effect of vessel type and platform relative wind direction on comparison of buoy and ship winds. In Proceedings of CLIMAR-II—Second JCOMM Workshop on Advances in Marine Climatology, 17–22 November, Brussels, Belgium. CD-ROM. WMD/TD-No. 1171. JCOMM Technical Report No. 22. , .
- 1998. Effects of observation errors in linear regression and bin-average analyses. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 124: 897–917. .
- 1988. On theoretical wind speed and temperature profiles over the sea with applications to data from Sable Island, N.S. Atmosphere–Ocean 26(2): 202–233. .
- 1996. Near-surface wind over the global ocean 1949–1988. Journal of Climate 9: 1877–1895. , .
- 1990. A study of differences between environmental reports by ships in the voluntary observing program and measurements from NOAA buoys. Journal of Geophysical Research 95: 3373–3385. , .
- WMO. 1970. The Beaufort scale of wind force. Reports on marine science affairs, Rep. 3. World Meteorological Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.
- WMO. 1980. International list of selected, supplementary and auxiliary ships. World Meteorological Organization No. 47. World Meteorological Organization Geneva, Switzerland.
- WMO. 1983. Guide to meteorological instruments and methods of observation. WMO No. 8, World Meteorological Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, various pagination.
- 1998. COADS Release 2 data and metadata enhancements for improvements of marine surface flux fields. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth 23: 517–527. , , , .
- 2002. CFD model estimates of the airflow over research ships and the impact on momentum flux measurements. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 19: 1477–1499. , , , .