An overview of the airflow distortion at anemometer sites on ships
Article first published online: 6 JUN 2005
Copyright © 2005 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Special Issue: Advances in Marine Climatology
Volume 25, Issue 7, pages 997–1006, 15 June 2005
How to Cite
Moat, B. I., Yelland, M. J., Pascal, R. W. and Molland, A. F. (2005), An overview of the airflow distortion at anemometer sites on ships. Int. J. Climatol., 25: 997–1006. doi: 10.1002/joc.1177
- Issue published online: 6 JUN 2005
- Article first published online: 6 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 OCT 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 6 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Received: 2 MAY 2004
- Meteorological Service of Canada
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- 1997. Wind loads on ships and offshore structures estimated by CFD. In 8th International Conference on the Behavior of Offshore Structures BOSS'97, Delft. , , , .
- 1986. Superstructure flow distortion corrections for wind speed and direction measurements made from Tarwa class (LHA1–LHA5) ships. NL Report 9005, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC. .
- 1987. Superstructure flow distortion corrections for wind speed and direction measurements made from Virginia class (CGN38–CGN41) ships. NL Report 9026, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC. .
- 1976. Ships influence on wind measurements determined from BOMEX mast and boom data. Journal of Applied Meteorology 15: 102–106. .
- 2002. Workshop on advances in the use of historical marine climate data. WMO Bulletin 51: 377–380. , , , , , .
- 1981. Review of reference height for and averaging time of surface wind measurements at sea. World Meteorological Organisation, Marine Meteorology and Related Oceanographic Activities Report No. 3. World Meteorological Organization, Geneva. .
- 2003. Impact of flow distortion corrections on turbulent fluxes estimated by the inertial dissipation method during the FETCH experiment on R/V L'Atalante. Journal of Geophysical Research 108(C3): 12-1–12-17. , , , , , , , .
- 1967. Accuracy of wind measurements on towers and stacks. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 48: 665–674. , , , .
- ISL. 1997. Shipping Statistics Yearbook. Institute of Shipping Economics and Logistics: Bremen, Germany.
- JCOMM. 2002. Voluntary Observing Ships (VOS) Climate Subset Project (VOSCLIM)—Project Document—Revision 2. JCOMM Technical Report Series Report No. 5, WMO/TD-No. 1122. World Meteorological Organization, Geneva.
- 2001. A CFD based parametric study of the smoke behaviour of a typical merchant ship. In Practical Design of Ships and Other Floating Structures, WuY-S, CuiW-C, ZhouG-J (eds). Elsevier Science. , , .
- 1999. New insights into the ocean heat budget closure problem from analysis of the SOC air–sea flux climatology. Journal of Climate 12(9): 2856–2880. , , .
- 1981. On errors in wind speed observations on R/V Aranda. Geophysica 17(1–2): 155–165. , .
- 1991. Ships observing marine climate: a catalogue of the Voluntary Observing Ships participating in the VOSP–NA. World Meteorological Organization, Marine Meteorology and Related Oceanographic Activities Report No. 25. , .
- 1978. Comparison of mast and boom wind speed and direction measurements on US GATE B-Scale ships, NOAA Technical Report, EDS 28. CEDDA, Washington, DC. , .
- 2003. Quantifying the effect of airflow distortion on anemometer wind speed measurements from merchant ships. PhD thesis, University of Southampton, UK. .
- 2004. Possible biases in wind speed measurements from merchant ships. In 5th International Colloquium on Bluff Body Aerodynamics and Applications, 11–16 July, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada; 537–540. , , .
- 1979. Upwind distortion due to probe support in boundary-layer observations. Journal of Applied Meteorology 18: 367–370. .
- 2004. Experimental and numerical study of the turbulence characteristics of airflow around a research vessel. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 12(10): 1575–1589. , , .
- RINA Ltd. 1990–93. Significant Ships. The Royal Institution of Naval Architects: London, UK.
- 1983. An improvement in the accuracy of shipboard measurements of wind speed and direction based on aerodynamic tests of a ship model. Oceanology 23(2): 267–270. , , , .
- 1980. Wind stress and heat flux over the ocean in gale force winds. Journal of Physical Oceanography 10: 709–726. .
- 1989. Speed and direction corrections factors for ship borne anemometers. Engineering Science Research Report BLWT-SS9-89, University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada. , , .
- 1990. Wind tunnel experiments to determine correction functions for shipborne anemometers. Canadian Contractor Report of Hydrography and Ocean Sciences 36, Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada. .
- 2003. Effect of vessel type and platform relative wind direction on comparison between ship and buoy wind speeds. In Proceedings of CLIMAR-II, 2nd JCOMM Workshop on Advances in Marine Climatology, Brussels, Belgium, 17–22 November, WMO/TD-No. 1199, JCOMM Technical Report No. 22, CD-ROM. , .
- 2005. Methods to homogenize wind speeds from ships and buoys. International Journal of Climatology 25: 979–995; this issue. , , .
- 1998. Wind stress measurements from the open ocean corrected for airflow distortion by the ship. Journal of Physical Oceanography 28(7): 1511–1526. , , , , , .
- 2002. CFD model estimates of the airflow over research ships and the impact on momentum flux measurements. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 19(10): 1477–1499. , , , .