Canadian pressure observations and circulation variability: links to air temperature
Version of Record online: 22 JUL 2005
Copyright © 2005 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 25, Issue 11, pages 1473–1492, September 2005
How to Cite
Slonosky, V. C. and Graham, E. (2005), Canadian pressure observations and circulation variability: links to air temperature. Int. J. Climatol., 25: 1473–1492. doi: 10.1002/joc.1191
- Issue online: 9 SEP 2005
- Version of Record online: 22 JUL 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 23 DEC 2004
- Manuscript Received: 14 MAY 2004
- 1997. Homogenization of Swedish temperature data. Part I: a homogeneity test for linear trends. International Journal of Climatology 17: 25–34. , .
- 1991. A further extension of the Tahiti–Darwin SOI, early SOI results and Darwin pressure. Journal of Climate 4: 743–749. , , , .
- 2002. A reconstruction of Madras (Chennai) mean sea-level pressure using instrumental records from the late 18th and early 19th centuries. International Journal of Climatology 22: 1119–1142. , , , .
- 2001. Arctic oscillation or North Atlantic oscillation? Journal of Climate 14: 3495–3507. , , .
- 1987. Classification, seasonality and persistence of low-frequency atmospheric circulation patterns. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1083–1126. , .
- 1999. The Lund instrumental record of meteorological observations: reconstruction of monthly sea-level pressure 1780–1997. International Journal of Climatology 19: 1427–1443. , , , , .
- 1997. Development of the global mean sea level pressure data set GMSLP2. Hadley Centre of the UK Meteorological Office for Climate Research, Technical Note 79. Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research, Meteorological Office, Bracknell, UK. , .
- 2001. Impacts of low frequency variability modes on Canadian winter temperature. International Journal of Climatology 21: 95–108. , , .
- 1996. Towards new tools and methodologies for relative homogeneity testing. In First Seminar for Homogenization of Surface Climatological data, Budapest, Hungary. Hungarian Meteorological Service: 62–82. , .
- 2000. On the teleconnectivity of the “Arctic Oscillation”. Geophysical Research Letters 27: 779–782. .
- Environment Canada. 1976. Internal memorandum no. OBS 2-76, Atmospheric Environment Service, Downsview, Ontario, Canada, November.
- 1955. Report on Canadian standard barometry, Atmospheric Environment Service, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. .
- 1995. Decadal trends in the North Atlantic oscillation: regional temperatures and precipitation. Science 269: 676–679. .
- 2002. True versus apparent Arctic oscillation. Geophysical Research Letters 29: 1268. DOI: 10.1029/2001GL013978. .
- 1987. The early twentieth century Arctic high—fact or fiction? Climate Dynamics 1: 63–75. .
- 1997. Extension to the North Atlantic oscillation using early instrumental pressure observations from Gibraltar and south-west Iceland. International Journal of Climatology 17: 1433–1450. , , .
- 1999a. Monthly mean pressure reconstructions for Europe. International Journal of Climatology 19: 347–364. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999b. Extratropical circulation indices in the Southern Hemisphere based on station data. International Journal of Climatology 19: 1301–1317. , , .
- 2000. Reduced space optimal interpolation of historical marine sea level pressure: 1854–1992. Journal of Climate 13: 2987–3002. , , .
- 1975. Memorandum No. 8437-1 from ACNS to ACNC. Data Standards Division, Government of Canada, Toronto, Canada, 22 September. .
- 1964. The History of the Barometer. Johns Hopkins University Press: Baltimore. .
- 1986. Tropical–extratropical geopotential height teleconnections during the Northern Hemisphere winter. Monthly Weather Review 114: 2488–2515. , .
- 2002. Daily air temperature and pressure series for Stockholm (1756–1998). Climatic Change 53: 171–212. , , , .
- 2000. Representing twentieth century space–time climate variability. Part 2: development of 1901–96 monthly grids of terrestrial surface climate. Journal of Climate 13: 2217–2238. , , .
- 2001. The insignificance of significance testing. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 81: 981–986. .
- 2001. Trends in sea level pressure across western Canada. Journal of Geophysical Research D 106I: 11 801–11 812. , .
- 1998. Homogeneity adjustments of in situ atmospheric climate data: a review. International Journal of Climatology 18: 1493–1517. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1955. Monthly mean sea level pressure maps for Canada. CIR-2710, Tec-224, Meteorological Division, Department of Transport: Toronto, Canada, 18 October. 1955. .
- 2002. On the separability of the North Atlantic oscillation and Arctic oscillation. Climate Dynamics 19: 599–608. , .
- 1982. AES barometry program, Technical Record No. 9. Network Planning and Standards Division, Data Acquisition Services Branch, Environment Canada, Downsview, Ontario, Canada, August. .
- 1997. The association between the BWA index and winter surface temperature variability over eastern Canada and west Greenland. International Journal of Climatology 17: 1195–1210. , , , .
- 2003. The meteorological observations of Jean-François Gaultier, Québec, Canada 1742–56. Journal of Climate 16: 2232–2247. .
- 2001. The North Atlantic oscillation and its relationship with near surface temperature. Geophysical Research Letters 28: 807–810. , .
- 1999. Homogenization techniques for European monthly surface pressure series. Journal of Climate 12: 2658–2672. , , .
- 2000. Is the North Atlantic oscillation a random walk? International Journal of Climatology 20: 1–18. , , .
- 1998. The Arctic oscillation signature in the wintertime geopotential height and temperature fields. Geophysical Research Letters 25: 1297–1300. , .
- 1972. Headquarters standards and procedures for barometry in Canada. Atmospheric Environment Service, Toronto, Canada. .
- 1978. The seesaw in winter temperatures between Greenland and northern Europe. Part 1: general description. Monthly Weather Review 106: 296–310. , .
- 2002. Homogenization of daily temperatures over Canada. Journal of Climate 15: 1322–1334. , , , .
- 1932. World weather V. Memoirs of the Royal Meteorological Society 4: 53–84. , .
- 1981. Teleconnections in the geopotential height field during the Northern Hemisphere winter. Monthly Weather Review 109: 784–812. , .
- 2001. North Atlantic oscillation—concept and studies. Surveys in Geophysics 22: 321–382. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Detecting and removing inhomogeneities from long-term sea level pressure time series. Journal of Climate 6: 1205–1220. .
- 2000. Temperature and precipitation trends in Canada during the 20th century. Atmosphere–Ocean 38: 395–429. , , , .