Extracting long-period climate fluctuations from tree-ring chronologies over timescales of centuries to millennia
Article first published online: 16 SEP 2005
Copyright © 2005 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 25, Issue 13, pages 1767–1779, 15 November 2005
How to Cite
Helama, S., Timonen, M., Lindholm, M., MeriläInen, J. and Eronen, M. (2005), Extracting long-period climate fluctuations from tree-ring chronologies over timescales of centuries to millennia. Int. J. Climatol., 25: 1767–1779. doi: 10.1002/joc.1215
- Issue published online: 19 OCT 2005
- Article first published online: 16 SEP 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 13 MAY 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 MAY 2005
- Manuscript Received: 18 AUG 2004
- Marjatta ja Eino Kolli foundation; Societas pro Fauna et Flora Fennica
- 1983. Tree-ring analysis using CATRAS. Dendrochronologia 1: 45–45. .
- 2003. Mid-Holocene warming in the northwest Kola Peninsula, Russia: northern pine-limit movement and stable isotope evidence. Holocene 13: 403–410. , , .
- 1993. ‘Little-Ice Age’ summer temperature variations: their nature and relevance to recent global warming trends. Holocene 3: 367–376. , .
- 1988. Reconstructing summer temperatures in northern Fennoscandia back to AD 1700 using tree-ring data from Scots pine. Arctic and Alpine Research 20: 385–394. , , , .
- 1995. Unusual twentieth-century summer warmth in a 1,000-year temperature record from Siberia. Nature 376: 156–159. , , , , .
- 1996. Tree-ring variables as proxy-climate indicators: problems with low-frequency signals. Climate Variations and Forcings Mechanisms of the Last 2000 Years, JonesPD, BradleyRS, JouzelJ (eds). Springer-Verlag: Berlin; 9–41. , , , , .
- 2002a. Tree-ring width and density data around the Northern Hemisphere: part 1, local and regional climate signals. Holocene 12: 737–751. , , , , , .
- 2002b. Tree-ring width and density data around the Northern Hemisphere: part 2, spatio-temporal variability and associated climate patterns. Holocene 12: 759–789. , , , , , .
- 1990. A 1,400-year tree-ring record of summer temperatures in Fennoscandia. Nature 346: 434–439. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Low-frequency temperature variations from a northern tree ring density network. Journal of Geophysical Research 106(D3): 2929–2941. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Fennoscandian summers from AD 500: temperature changes on short and long timescales. Climate Dynamics 7: 111–119. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. A comparison of the variability of a climate model with paleotemperature estimates from a network of tree-ring densities. Journal of Climate 15: 1497–1515. , , , , .
- 1985. A time series analysis approach to tree-ring standardization. PhD Dissertation, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ. .
- 1987. The decomposition of tree-ring series for environmental studies. Tree-Ring Bulletin 47: 37–59. .
- 1990. Conceptual linear aggregate model for tree rings. Methods of Dendrochronology: Applications in the Environmental Science, CookER, KairiukstisLA (eds). Kluwer Academic Publishers: Dordrecht; 98–104. .
- 2003. Dendroclimatic signals in long tree-ring chronologies from the Himalayas of Nepal. International Journal of Climatology 23: 707–732. , , .
- 1995. The ‘segment length curse’ in long tree-ring chronology development for palaeoclimatic studies. Holocene 5: 229–237. , , , , .
- 1999. Holocene humidity changes in northern Finnish Lapland inferred from lake sediments and submerged Scots pines dated by tree rings. Holocene 9: 569–580. , , .
- 2002. The supra-long Scots pine tree-ring record for Finnish Lapland: part 1, chronology construction and initial references. Holocene 12: 673–680. , , , , , .
- 2002. Low-frequency signals in long tree-ring chronologies for reconstructing past temperature variability. Science 295: 2250–2253. , , .
- 2003. Tests of the RCS method for preserving low-frequency variability in long tree-ring chronologies. Tree-Ring Research 59: 81–98. , , , , .
- 1976. Tree Rings and Climate. Academic Press: London. .
- 1989. Dendroecology: a tool for evaluating variations in past and present forest environments. Advances in Ecological Research 19: 111–188. , .
- 1969. A revised computer program for standardizing tree-ring series. Tree-Ring Bulletin 29: 15–20. , , .
- 2000. A 403-year record of July temperatures and treeline dynamics of Pinus sylvestris from Kola Peninsula, Northwest Russia. Arctic Antarctic and Alpine Research 32: 295–302. , .
- 1988. The Little Ice Age. Methuen: London. .
- 2002. A 7400-year tree-ring chronology in northern Swedish Lapland: natural climatic variability expressed on annual to millennial timescales. Holocene 12: 657–665. , , , , , .
- 2002. The supra-long Scots pine tree-ring record for Finnish Lapland: Part 2, interannual to centennial variability in summer temperatures for 7500 years. Holocene 12: 681–687. , , , , .
- 2005a. Multicentennial ring-width chronologies of Scots pine along north-south gradient across Finland. Tree-Ring Research 61: 21–32. , , , , .
- 2005b. Mid and late Holocene tree density changes in northern Fennoscandia, palaeoclimate evidence derived by new method using megafossil pines and their tree-ring series. Journal of Quaternary Science 20:(in press). , , , .
- 2004a. Comparison of living-tree and subfossil ring-widths with summer temperatures from 18th, 19th and 20th centuries in northern Finland. Dendrochronologia 21: 147–154. , , , , , , .
- 2004b. Dendrochronologically dated changes in the limit of pine in northernmost Finland during the past 7.5 millennia. Boreas 33: 250–259. , , , .
- 2004c. Detection of climate signal in dendrochronological data analysis: a comparison of tree-ring standardization methods. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 79: 239–254. , , , .
- 1986. The maturation of Pinus sylvestris seeds in relation to temperature climate in Northern Finland. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research 1: 243–249. , , , .
- 1983. Computer-assisted quality control in tree-ring dating and measurement. Tree-Ring Bulletin 43: 69–75. .
- 1944. Die Radialzuwachsvaariationen der Waldgrenzkiefer. Societas Scientiarum Fennica Commentationes Biologicae 9(8): 1–18. , .
- 2000. The influence of slope aspect on radial increment of Pinus sylvestris L. in northern Norway and its implications for climate reconstructions. Dendrochronologia 18: 27–40. .
- 2001. Reconstruction of summer temperature from tree ring of Scots pine, Pinus sylvestris L., in coastal northern Norway. Holocene 11: 41–52. .
- 1996. Structural population dynamics of pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) during the past 500 years close to the tree-limit in northern Sweden. Paläoklimaforschung—Palaeoclimate Research 20: 75–82. .
- 1963. Multiple regression of increment percentage on other characteristics in scotch-pine stands. Acta Forestalia Fennica 74: 1–35. , .
- 1963. What can we find out about the trend of our climate? Weather 18: 194–216. .
- 1996. Reconstruction of past climate from ring-width chronologies of Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) at the northern forest limit in Fennoscandia. PhD Dissertation, University of Joensuu, Publications in Sciences 40, 1–169. .
- 2000. A reconstruction of mid summer temperatures from ring-widths of scots pine since AD50 in northern Fennoscandia. Geografiska Annaler 82A: 527–535. , .
- 1996. Extracting mid-summer temperatures from ring-width chronologies of living pines at the northern forest limit in Fennoscandia. Dendrochronologia 14: 99–113. , , .
- 1962. Statistical properties of tree ring data. Bulletin of the International Association of Scientific Hydrology 7: 39–47. .
- 2001. Stable carbon isotope ratios of Pinus sylvestris from northern Finland and the potential for extracting a climate signal from long Fennoscandian chronologies. Holocene 11: 517–526. , .
- 1950. Puiden kasvun vaihteluista ja niiden merkityksestä kasvututkimuksessa. Summary: on the variations in tree growth and their significance to growth studies. Communicationes Instituti Forestalis Fenniae 38: 1–131. .
- 1912. Die periodischen Erscheinungen der Reproduktion der Kiefer an der polaren Waldgrenze. Acta Forestalia Fennica 1: 1–155. .
- 1961. Skogsgränstallen som indicator för klimatfluktuationerna I norra fennoskandien under historisk tid. Summary in English. Communicationes Instituti Forestalis Fenniae 54: 1–66. .
- 1998. Results and conclusions of pine advance in subarctic Finland in the 20th century. Finnish Forest Research Institute, Research Papers 677: 7–16. .
- 1995. Stable carbon isotopes in tree rings of a Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) from northern Finland. Paläoklimaforschung—Palaeoclimate Research 15: 121–128. , .
- 2002. Hydroclimatic change in Southern Manitoba since A.D. 1409 inferred from tree rings. Quaternary Research 58: 103–111. , .
- 1990. Popular formulations for modeling tree rings from climate: a unifying approach. Journal of Envinormental Quality 20: 823–827. .
- 1996. Archaeological and palaeoecological indications of an abrupt climate change in The Netherlands, and evidence for climatological teleconnections around 2650 BP. Journal of Quaternary Science 11: 451–460. , , .
- 1998. The sharp rise of Δ14C ca. 800 cal BC: possible causes, related climatic teleconnections and the impact on human environments. Radiocarbon 40: 535–550. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The northern timberline and timberline forests in Fennoscandia. Finnish Forest Research Institute, Research Papers 672: 1–242. .
- 1980. On removing the growth trend from dendrochronological data. Tree-Ring Bulletin 40: 35–44. .