Regional and global atmospheric patterns governing rainfall in the southern Levant
Article first published online: 2 DEC 2005
Copyright © 2005 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 26, Issue 1, pages 55–73, January 2006
How to Cite
Ziv, B., Dayan, U., Kushnir, Y., Roth, C. and Enzel, Y. (2006), Regional and global atmospheric patterns governing rainfall in the southern Levant. Int. J. Climatol., 26: 55–73. doi: 10.1002/joc.1238
- Issue published online: 6 JAN 2006
- Article first published online: 2 DEC 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 22 MAY 2005
- Manuscript Received: 3 AUG 2004
- The Ring Family Foundation Fund for Atmospheric Research. Grant Number: 3014282
- Air Ministry, Meteorological Office. 1962. Weather in the Mediterranean. HMSO: London.
- 1990. Climatological analysis of Mediterranean cyclones using ECMWF data. Tellus 42A: 65–77. , , .
- 1995. Role of sea fluxes and topography in eastern Mediterranean cyclogenesis. The Global Atmosphere-Ocean System 3: 55–79. , , .
- 2002. The paradoxical increase of Mediterranean extreme daily rainfall in spite of decrease in total values. Geophysical Research Letters 29(11): 1536, doi:10.1029/2001GL013554. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Atlas of Israel. 1970. Jerusalem and Elsevier Publishing Company, Amsterdam, Survey Department, Ministry of Labor: Israel.
- 2001. Temperature and surface pressure anomalies in Israel and the North Atlantic Oscillation. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 69(3–4): 171–177. , , , , .
- 2004. Late Holocene lake levels of the Dead Sea. Geological Society of America Bulletin 116(5–6): 555–571. , , , .
- 1987. Classification, seasonality and persistence of low-frequency atmospheric circulation patterns. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1083–1126. , .
- 2000. Interdecadal changes in eastern pacific ITCZ variability and its influence on the Atlantic ITCZ. Geophysical Research Letters 27(22): 2687–3690. , .
- 1989. The Mediterranean oscillation: impact on precipitation and hydrology in Italy. Proceedings of the Conference on Climate and Water, Vol. 1. Publications of Academy of Finland: Helsinki; 121–137. , , .
- 2002. Impact of the North Atlantic Oscillation on Middle Eastern climate and streamflow. Climatic Change 55: 315–338. , , , .
- 2003. Circulation dynamics of Mediterranean precipitation variability 1948–1998. International Journal of Climatology 23: 1843–1866. , .
- 2003. Late holocene climates of the Near East deduced from Dead Sea level variations and regional winter rainfall. Quarternary Research 60: 263–273. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Mediterranean climates. Israel Journal of Earth Sciences 51: 157–168. .
- 2000. Mechanisms of Eastern Mediterranean rainfall variability. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 57: 3219–3232. , .
- 2001. Thermodynamics of Eastern Mediterranean rainfall variability. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 58: 87–92. , .
- 1994. Northern hemisphere tropospheric mid-latitude circulation after violent volcanic eruptions. Contribution of Atmospheric Physics 67: 3–13. , , .
- 1997. Decadal variations in climate associated with the North Atlantic Oscillation. Climatic Change 36: 301–326. , .
- 2002. Synoptic climatology of major floods in the Negev Desert, Israel. International Journal of Climatology 22: 867–822. , , , .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77(3): 437–471. , , , et al.
- 2001. Precision of calibrated radiocarbon ages of historic earthquakes in the Dead-Sea Basin. Radiocarbon 43: 1371–1382. , , , , , .
- 2001. The NCEP/NCAR 50-year reanalysis: monthly means CD-ROM and documentation. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 82(2): 247–267. , , , et al.
- 2000. Monthly synoptic patterns associated with wet/dry conditions in the Eastern Mediterranean. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 65: 215–229. , , .
- 2002. Decadal trends of main Eurasian oscillations and the Eastern Mediterranean precipitation. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 72: 209–220. , , .
- 1989. Interaction of low-frequency and high-frequency transients in a forecast experiment with a general-circulation model. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 46(10): 1411–1418. , .
- 1998. Sea level pressure departures in the Mediterranean and their relationship with monthly rainfall conditions in Israel. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 60: 93–109. , .
- 2002. North Sea—Caspian Pattern (NCP)—an upper-level atmospheric teleconnection affecting the Eastern Mediterranean: identification and definition. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 71: 17–28. , .
- 2002. North Sea—Caspian Pattern (NCP)—an upper-level atmospheric teleconnection affecting the Eastern Mediterranean—implications on the regional climate. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 72: 173–192. , , , .
- 1988. Climate and climatic variability in semi-arid regions at low latitudes. In The Impact of Climatic Variations on Agriculture, Vol. 2: Assessments in Semi-Arid Regions, PorryML, et al., (eds); 85–120. .
- 2001. A 40 year objective climatology of surface cyclones in the Mediterranean region: spatial and temporal distribution. International Journal of Climatology 21(1): 109–130. , , , .
- 1987. Climatic change and the eleventh-tenth-century eclipse of Assyria and Babylonia. Journal of Near Eastern Studies 46(3): 161–182. , .
- 1998. A possible link between El Nino and precipitation in Israel. Geophysical Research Letters 25: 3963–3966. , , , .
- 2000. Trends and interannual oscillations in the main sea-level surface pressure patterns over the Mediterranean, 1955–1990. Geophysical Research Letters 27(8): 1143–1146. , , , , .
- 2003. Mechanisms of Hemispherically symmetric climate variability. Journal of Climate 16: 1960–1978. , , , , .
- 1986. The distribution of rainfall intensity in Israel, its regional and seasonal variations and its climatological evaluation. International of Climatology 6: 277–291. , .
- 1991. A diagnostic study of winter diabetic heating in the Mediterranean in relation to cyclones. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 117: 715–747. , .
- 1988. Temporal and spatial variation in the volume of rain falling annually in Israel. Israel Journal of Earth Sciences 37: 211–221. , .
- 1994. Sea-surface temperature estimates for the tropical western Pacific during the last glaciation and their implications for the Pacific warm pool. Quaternary Research 41: 255–264. , , , .
- 1982. The Mediterranean heat storage in Israeli precipitation. Water Resources Research 18: 1036–1040. , .
- 1999. Dependence of winter precipitation over Portugal on NAO and baroclinic wave activity. International Journal of Climatology 19: 379–390. , , , .
- 2003. Interannual summer air temperature variability over Greece and its connection to the large-scale atmospheric circulation and Mediterranean SSTs 1950–1999. Climate Dynamics 20: 537–554. , , , , , .