Unstable ENSO Relationship with Indian regional rainfall
Article first published online: 20 DEC 2005
Copyright © 2005 Royal Meteorological Society.
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 26, Issue 6, pages 771–783, May 2006
How to Cite
Kane, R. P. (2006), Unstable ENSO Relationship with Indian regional rainfall. Int. J. Climatol., 26: 771–783. doi: 10.1002/joc.1281
- Issue published online: 17 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 20 DEC 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 OCT 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 28 SEP 2005
- Manuscript Received: 20 JUL 2005
- FNDCT, Brazil. Grant Number: FINEP-537/CT
- 2003. Protracted ENSO episodes and their impacts in the Indian Ocean region. Deep Sea Research Part II 50(12–13): 2331–2347. , , , .
- 1988. The onset of the southwest monsoon over Kerala 1901–1988. Journal of Climatology 8: 283–296. , .
- 1991. The relationship of monsoon onset with subsequent rainfall over India. International Journal of Climatology 11: 809–817. , , .
- 1987. El Nino events and their relation to the Southern Oscillation: 1925–1986. Journal Of Geophysical Research 92: 14 189–14 196. , .
- 2004. ENSO defined. Weatherwise 57(1): 11–12. .
- 2000. Is El Niño changing? Science 288: 1997–2002. , .
- 2005. Monsoon prediction—Why yet another failure? Current Science 88(9): 1389–1400. , , .
- 2005. Classification of synchronous oceanic and atmospheric El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO) events for palaeoclimate reconstruction. International Journal Of Climatology 25: 1541–1565. , .
- 1989. Parametric and power regression models: New approach to long range forecasting of monsoon rainfall in India. Mausam 40: 115–122. , , , , .
- 1991. A power regression model for long range forecast of southwest monsoon rainfall over India. Mausam 42: 125–130. , , , , , .
- 2003. A quantitative evaluation of ENSO indices. Journal of Climate 16: 1249–1258. , , , , .
- 1997. Dynamical seasonal prediction of the Indian summer monsoon. CPC Experimental Long-lead Forecast Bulletin 6, No. 2; Climate Prediction Center, W/NP5I NOAA National Weather Service: Washington; 29–32. , , , , , .
- 2005. Connection of summer rainfall variations in South and East Asia: Role of ENSO. International Journal Of Climatology 25(9): DOI: 10.1002/joc.1159 25: 1279–1289. , , , .
- 2004. Climate over the past millennia. Reviews of Geophysics 42: 1–42. , .
- 1995. Spectrum analysis and prediction possibilities of the onset dates of southwest monsoon over Kerala (India). Mausam 46(1): 15–24. .
- 1997. Relationship of El Niño/Southern Oscillation and Pacific sea surface temperature with rainfall in various regions of the globe. Monthly Weather Review 125: 1792–1800. .
- 1999. Periodicities and ENSO relationships of the seasonal precipitation over six major sub-divisions of India. Mausam 50(1): 43–54. .
- 1997a. Climate impact of El Nino/La Nina on Indian monsoon: a new perspective. Weather 52: 39–46. , .
- 1997b. Rainfall variability over south-east Asia—Connections with Indian monsoon and ENSO extremes: New perspectives. International Journal of Climatology 17: 1155–1168. , .
- 2005. Are intra-seasonal Oscillations ‘Speed-breakers’ to seasonal predictions? CLIVAR Exchange 10(1): 27–29. , , .
- 1996. Empirical study on Nimbus-7 snow mass and Indian monsoon rainfall. International Journal of Climatology 16: 23–34. , , , .
- 2003. Indian monsoon variability in a global warming scenario. Natural Hazards 29: 189–206. , , , .
- 1999. On the weakening relationship between the Indian monsoon and ENSO. Science 284: 2156–2159. , , .
- 2000. Indian monsoon-ENSO relationship on interdecadal time scale. Journal of Climate 13: 579–595. , .
- 2001. Inter-annual variation of the intra-seasonal Oscillation in the south Asian summer monsoon region. Journal of Climate 14: 2910–2922. , .
- 2004. The strength of El Niño and the spatial extent of tropical drought. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L21204, DOI:10.1029/2004GL020901. .
- 2000. The documentary historical record of El Niño events in Peru: An update of the Quinn record (sixteenth through nineteenth centuries). In El Niño and the Southern Oscillation Variability, Global and Regional Impacts, DiazH, MarkgrafV (eds.) Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 207–295. .
- 1987. El Niño occurrences over the past four and a half centuries. Journal Of Geophysical Research 92: 14 449–14 461. , , .
- 2004. Tropical Pacific upper ocean heat content variations and Indian summer monsoon rainfall. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L18203, DOI:10.1029/2004GL020631. , .
- 2004. IMD's new operational models for long-range forecast of southwest monsoon rainfall over India and their verification for 2003. Current Science 86(3): 422–431. , , , .
- 1983. The relationship between eastern equatorial Pacific sea surface temperatures and rainfall over India and Sri Lanka. Monthly Weather Review 111: 517–528. , .
- 1987. Global and regional scale precipitation patterns associated with El Niño/Southern Oscillation. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1606–1826. , .
- 2000. Predictability and the relationship between sub-seasonal and inter-annual variability during the Asian summer monsoon. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 126: 2545–2574. , , .
- 1992. Recent models for long-range forecasting of southwest monsoon rainfall over India. Mausam 43: 239–248. , .
- 2003. Updated operational models for long-range forecasts of Indian summer monsoon rainfall. Mausam 54: 495–504. , .
- 1997. The definition of El Niño. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78(12): 2771–2777. .
- 1996. The 1990–1995 El Niño/Southern Oscillation event: Longest on record. Geophysical Research Letters 23(1): 57–60. , .
- 2003. On the relation between ENSO and global climate change. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 84: 229–242. , , .
- 2003. Dynamic probability of intra-seasonal vatiability associated with the Asian summer monsoon. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 129: 2897–2928. , , , .
- 1993. Monitoring ENSO in COADS with a seasonally adjusted principal component index. Proceedings of the. 17th Climate Diagnostics Workshop, Norman, Oklahoma, 52–57, NOAA/NMC/CAC. , .
- 2002. A contrast of the east Asian summer monsoon-ENSO relationship between 1962–77 and 1978–93. Journal of Climate 15: 3266–3279. , .