Multidecadal climate variability of global lands and oceans
Article first published online: 20 MAR 2006
This article is a US Government work and is in the public domain in the USA. Published in 2006 by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 26, Issue 7, pages 849–865, 15 June 2006
How to Cite
McCabe, G. J. and Palecki, M. A. (2006), Multidecadal climate variability of global lands and oceans. Int. J. Climatol., 26: 849–865. doi: 10.1002/joc.1289
- Issue published online: 18 MAY 2006
- Article first published online: 20 MAR 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 OCT 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 10 OCT 2005
- Manuscript Received: 9 JUN 2005
- National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- 1999. The re-emergence of SST anomalies in the North Pacific ocean. Journal of Climate 12: 2419–2431. , , .
- 2002. Constraints on the future changes in climate and the hydrologic cycle. Nature 419: 224–232. , .
- 1984. The palmer drought severity index: limitations and assumptions. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 23: 1100–1109. .
- AMS. 2005. Nowcast news and notes. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 86: 471–475.
- 1996. Decadal and interannual SST variability in the tropical Atlantic Ocean. Journal of Physical Oceanography 26: 1165–1175. , , , .
- 1998. Decadal variability of precipitation over western North America. Journal of Climate 11: 3148–3166. , , , .
- 2002. Global land precipitation: a 50-yr monthly analysis based on gauge observations. Journal of Hydrometeorology 3: 249–266. , , , .
- 1998. The changing relationship between ENSO variability and moisture balance in the continental United States. Geophysical Research Letters 25: 4529–4532. , .
- 1999. Drought reconstructions for the continental United States. Journal of Climate 12: 1145–1162. , , , .
- 2004. Long-term aridity changes in the western United States. Science 306: 1015–1018. , , , , .
- 2000. Global patterns of ENSO-induced precipitation. Geophysical Research Letters 27: 1283–1286. , .
- 1997. Surface observed global land precipitation variations during 1980–88. Journal of Climate 10: 2943–2962. , , .
- 1998. Global variations in droughts and wet spells: 1900–1995. Geophysical Research Letters 25: 3367–3370. , , .
- 2004. A global data set of palmer drought severity index for 1870–2002: relationship with soil moisture and effects of surface warming. Journal of Hydrometeorology 5: 1117–1130. , , .
- 2000. Observed and simulated multidecadal variability in the Northern Hemisphere. Climate Dynamics 16: 661–676. , .
- DiazHF, MarkgrafV (eds). 2000. El Nino and the Southern Oscillation. Cambridge University Press: United Kingdom; 496.
- 1999. The dependence of Caribbean rainfall on the interaction of the tropical Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. Journal of Climate 12: 2093–2103. , .
- 1999. Multiscale variabilities in global sea surface temperatures and their relationships with tropospheric climate patterns. Journal of Climate 12: 2719–2733. , .
- 2001. The Atlantic multidecadal oscillation and its relation to rainfall and river flows in the continental U.S. Geophysical Research Letters 28(10): 277–280. , , .
- FAO. 2004. The State of Food Insecurity in the World. Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations: Rome, Italy; 41.
- FEMA. 1995. National Mitigation Strategy; Partnerships for Building Safer Communities. Mitigation Directorate, Federal Emergency Management Agency: Washington, DC.
- 1996. Sea surface temperature fields associated with West African rainfall anomaly types. Journal of Climate 9: 2935–2940. , .
- 1998. Inter-decadal modulation of ENSO teleconnections. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 79: 2715–2725. , .
- 2003. Oceanic forcing of sahel rainfall on interannual and interdecadal time scales. Science 302: 1027–1030. , , .
- 2003. Evaluation of the IRI's “Net Assessment” seasonal climate forecasts: 1997–2001. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 84: 1761–1781. , , .
- 2003. Patterns and sources of multidecadal oscillations in drought-sensitive tree-ring records from the central and southern Rocky Mountains. Geophysical Research Letters 30: 1316, DOI: 10.1029/2002GL016154. , , , .
- 2004. A tree-ring based reconstruction of the Atlantic multidecadal oscillation since 1567 A.D. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L12205, DOI:10.1029/2004GL019932. , , , .
- 1997. Predictability of North Atlantic multidecadal climate variability. Science 275: 181–184. , .
- 1997. Interdecadal climate fluctuations that depend on exchanges between the tropics and extratropics. Science 275: 805–807. , .
- 2004. Climate precursors of multidecadal drought variability in the western United States. Water Resources Research 40: W12504, doi:10.1029/2004WR003350. .
- 2003. The perfect ocean for drought. Science 299: 691–694. , .
- 2003. Hemispheric and large-scale surface air temperature variations: an extensive revision and an update to 2001. Journal of Climate 16: 206–223. , .
- 1998. Analyses of global sea surface temperature 1856–1991. Journal of Geophysical Research 103: 18567–18589. , , , , , .
- 1994. A rotated EOF analysis of global sea surface temperature variability with interannual and interdecadal scales. Journal of Physical Oceanography 24: 707–715. .
- 1989. Global climatic anomalies associated with extremes in the southern oscillation. Journal of Climate 2: 1069–1090. , .
- 1984. A review of the southern oscillation: oceanic-atmospheric circulation changes and related rainfall anomalies. Tellus 36A: 490–502. , , .
- 1997. A Pacific interdecadal climate oscillation with impacts on salmon production. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 1069–1079. , , , , .
- 2002. The Pacific decadal oscillation. Journal of Oceanography 58: 35–44. , .
- 2001. North Atlantic climate variability: phenomena, impacts, and mechanisms. International Journal of Climatology 21: 1863–1898. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Decadal variability in the strength of ENSO teleconnections with precipitation in the western United States. International Journal of Climatology 19: 1399–1410. , .
- 2002. Primary modes and predictability of year-to-year snowpack variations in the western United States from teleconnections with Pacific Ocean climate. Journal of Hydrometeorology 3: 13–25. , .
- 2004. Pacific and Atlantic ocean influences on multidecadal drought frequency in the United States. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 101: 4137–4141. , , .
- 1999. Rotated global modes of non-ENSO sea surface temperature variability. Journal of Climate 12: 2734–2746. , .
- 2003. ENSO-forced variability of the Pacific decadal oscillation. Journal of Climate 16: 3853–3857. , , .
- 1986. The spatial coherence of African rainfall anomalies: interhemispheric teleconnections. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 25: 1365–1381. .
- 2001. The relationship between El Niño and drought over Botswana. Journal of Climate 14: 323–335. , , .
- 1965. Meteorological drought. Research Paper No. 45. U.S. Weather Bureau. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Library and Information Services Division: Washington, DC. .
- 2005. Influence of multidecadal overturning circulation variability on European climate. Journal of Climate in press. , , .
- 1999. Decadal climate variability in Australia during the twentieth century. International Journal of Climatology 19: 169–184. , , , , , .
- 2000. Temporal variability of ENSO-drought association in the southwest US. Journal of Climate 13: 4244–4255. , , , .
- 1999. Oceanic forcing of the wintertime North Atlantic oscillation and European climate. Nature 398: 320–323. , , .
- 1986. North American precipitation and temperature patterns associated with El Nino/Southern Oscillation (ENSO). Monthly Weather Review 114: 2352–2362. , .
- 1989. Precipitation patterns associated with the high index phase of the Southern Oscillation. Journal of Climate 2: 268–284. , .
- 1994. An oscillation in the global climate system of period 65–70 years. Science 367: 723–726. , .
- 2004. On the cause of the 1930s dust bowl. Science 303: 1855–1859. , , , , .
- 2005. Modeling of tropical forcing of persistent droughts and pluvials over western North America: 1856–2000 Journal of Climate 18: 4065–4088. , , , , .
- 2004. Summer drought patterns in Canada and the relationship to global sea surface temperatures. Journal of Climate 17: 2866–2880. , .
- 2004. Evolution and features of global land June-August dry/wet periods during 1920–2000. International Journal of Climatology 24: 1483–1493. , .
- 2003. Influence of the ocean on North Atlantic climate variability 1871–1999. Journal of Climate 16: 3296–3313. , .
- 2005. Atlantic Ocean forcing of multidecadal variations in North American and European summer climate. Science 309: 115–118. , .
- 2002. The drought monitor. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 83: 1181–1190. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. The definition of El Nino. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 2771–2777. .
- 1923. Correlation in seasonal variations of weather. VIII. A preliminary study of world-weather. Memoirs of the Indian Meteorological Department 24:(Part 4): 75–131. .
- 1998. 2000 years of drought variability in the central United States. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 79: 2693–2714. , .
- 1997. ENSO-like interdecadal variability. Journal of Climate 10: 1004–1020. , , .