The GeoProfile metadata, exposure of instruments, and measurement bias in climatic record revisited
Article first published online: 27 MAR 2006
Copyright © 2006 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 26, Issue 8, pages 1091–1124, 30 June 2006
How to Cite
Mahmood, R., Foster, S. A. and Logan, D. (2006), The GeoProfile metadata, exposure of instruments, and measurement bias in climatic record revisited. Int. J. Climatol., 26: 1091–1124. doi: 10.1002/joc.1298
- Issue published online: 27 MAY 2006
- Article first published online: 27 MAR 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 NOV 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 10 NOV 2005
- Manuscript Received: 28 MAR 2005
- 2003. Impact of irrigation on mid summer surface fluxes and temperature under dry synoptic conditions: a regional atmospheric model study of the U. S. High Plains. Monthly Weather Review 131: 556–564. , , , , .
- 2003. Guidelines on climate metadata and homogenization. WCDMP-No 53, WMO-TD No 1186. World Meteorological Organization: Geneva, 51. , , , , .
- 2000. A method to adjust long-term temperature extreme series for nonclimatic inhomogeneities. Journal of Climate 13: 3680–3694. , .
- 2003. Two decades of urban climate research: a review of turbulence, exchanges of energy and water, and urban heat island. International Journal of Climatology 23: 1–26. .
- 1988. The climatic impacts of a sonoran vegetation discontinuity. Climatic Change 13: 99–109. .
- 1998. Impacts of land degradation on historical temperature records from the sonoran desert. Climatic Change 40: 669–681. , , , , .
- 1999. Observational evidence for reduction of daily maximum temperature by croplands in the Midwest United States. Journal of Climate 14: 2430–2442. .
- 1984. Urban influences on surface temperatures in the southwestern United States during recent decades. Journal of Applied Meteorology 23: 1520–1530. , .
- 2005. Microclimate exposures of surface-based weather stations–implications for the assessment of long-term temperature trends. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 86: 497–504. , .
- 1995. A new method of detecting undocumented discontinuities in climatological time series. International Journal of Climatology 15: 369–377. , .
- 1995. Estimating the urban bias of surface shelter temperatures using upper-air and satellite data. Part I: development of models predicting surface shelter temperatures. Journal of Applied Meteorology 34: 340–357. , , , , , .
- 1996. The influence of land use/land cover on climatological values of the diurnal temperature ranges. Journal of Climate 9: 2941–2944. , , .
- 1999. Temperature trends of the U. S. historical climatology network based on satellite-designated land use/land cover. Journal of Climate 12: 1344–1348. , , .
- 2001. Effect of observational sampling error on the detection of anthropogenic climate change. Journal of Climate 14: 198–207. , , .
- 2002. Cooperative Observer Program (COOP) modernization. In Preprints, 13th Conference on Applied Climatology, Portland, Oregon 1–3. , .
- 2002. Realtime data filtering models for air temperature measurements. Geophysical Research Letters 29(10):1425: DOI:10.10292001GL013191. , .
- 2001. The effectiveness of the ASOS MMTS, Gill, CRS air temperature radiation shields. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 18: 851–864. , , .
- 2002. Observation-time-dependent biases and departures for daily minimum and maximum temperatures. Journal of Applied Meteorology 41: 588–603. .
- 2004. Station density strategy for monitoring long-term climatic change in the contiguous United States. Journal of Climate 17: 151–162. , , .
- 2003. Hemispheric and large-scale surface air temperature variations: an extensive revision and an update to 2001. Journal of Climate 16: 206–223. , .
- 1987. An approach to adjusting climatological time series for discontinuous inhomogeneities. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 26: 1744–1763. , .
- 1988. Urbanization: its detection and effect in the United States climate record. Journal of Climate 1: 1099–1123. , , .
- 1990. United States Historical Climatology Network (HCN) serial temperature and precipitation data. ORNL/CDIAC-30, NDP-019/R1. Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory: Oak Ridge, TN. , , .
- 1986. A model to estimate the time of observation bias associated with monthly mean maximum, minimum, and mean temperature for the United States. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 25: 145–160. , , , .
- 1986. Urban warming. Journal of Applied Meteorology 25: 1265–1270. , , .
- 2001a. Air flow characteristics of commonly used temperature radiation shields. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 18: 329–339. , , .
- 2001b. Radiation loading model for evaluating air temperature errors with non-aspirated radiation shield. Transactions of the ASAE 44: 1299–1306. , , .
- 2001c. Some perspective on recent temperature observations: modeling the microclimate inside the radiation shields. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 18: 1470–1484. , , , , .
- 2002. Detection of undocumented change points: a revision of the two-phase regression model. Journal of Climate 15: 2547–2554. , .
- 2002. Anthropogenic land use change in the North American tall grass-short grass transition and modification of near surface hydrologic cycle. Climate Research 21: 83–90. , .
- 2003. Simulating sensitivity of soil moisture and evapotranspiration under heterogeneous soils and land uses. Journal of Hydrology 280: 72–90. , .
- 2004. An analysis of simulated long-term soil moisture data for three land uses under contrasting hydroclimatic conditions in the northern great plains. Journal of Hydrometeorology 5: 160–179. , .
- 2002. Land use change and modification of near-surface thermal records in the northern great plains. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 83: 504. , , .
- 2004. Modification of growing season surface temperature records in the northern great plains due to land use transformation: verification of modeling results and implication for global climate change. International Journal of Climatology 24: 311–327. , , .
- National Research Council. 1998. Future of the National Weather Service Cooperative Network. National Academies Press: Washington.
- 2004. Large-scale warming is not urban. Nature 432: 290. .
- 2003. Assessment of urban versus rural in situ surface temperatures in the contiguous United States: No difference found. Journal of Climate 16: 2941–2959. .
- 1994. Creation of homogeneous composite climatological reference series. International Journal of Climatology 14: 671–680. , .
- 2002. Overlooked issues in the U. S. national climate and IPCC assessments: an editorial essay. Climatic Change 52: 1–11. .
- 2000. Spatial representativeness of temperature measurements from a single site. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 81: 826–830. , , , , , , .
- 2002a. The influence of land-use change and landscape dynamics on the climate system: relevance to climate-change policy beyond the radiative effect of greenhouse gases. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series A 360: 1705–1719. , , , , , , , .
- 2002b. Problems in evaluating regional and local trends in temperature: an example from eastern Colorado, USA. International Journal of Climatology 22: 421–434. , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Effects of recent thermometer changes in the cooperative network. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 72: 1718–1724. , , , .
- 1977. Time of observation temperature bias and “climatic change”. Journal of Applied Meteorology 16: 215–222. , .
- 1990. A model to estimate the source area contributing to turbulent exchange in the surface layer over patchy terrain. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 116: 965–988. , .
- 1991. Spatial variability of energy fluxes in suburban terrain. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 54: 249–276. , , , .
- 1989. The impact of crop areas in northeastern Colorado on midsummer mesoscale thermal circulations. Monthly Weather Review 117: 809–825. , , , , , , .
- 1998. A technique for the identification of inhomogeneities in Canadian temperature series. Journal of Climate 11: 1094–1104. .