Synoptic climatology of extreme fire-weather conditions across the southwest United States
Article first published online: 20 FEB 2006
Copyright © 2006 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 26, Issue 8, pages 1001–1016, 30 June 2006
How to Cite
Crimmins, M. A. (2006), Synoptic climatology of extreme fire-weather conditions across the southwest United States. Int. J. Climatol., 26: 1001–1016. doi: 10.1002/joc.1300
- Issue published online: 27 MAY 2006
- Article first published online: 20 FEB 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 NOV 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 4 OCT 2005
- Manuscript Received: 29 JAN 2005
- Space Grant Graduate Fellowship
- 2001. Fire modeling and information system technology. International Journal of Wildland Fire 10: 343–352. , .
- Arizona Daily Star. 2003. Aspen Wildfire, Arizona Daily Star: Lee Enterprises Inc Tucson, AZ. Available online http://www.azstarnet.com/wildfire/aspenfireindex.html, Accessed: August 2004.
- 1995. The relative importance of fuels and weather on fire behavior in Sub-Alpine forests. Ecology 76(3): 747–762. , .
- 1977. An investigation of the synoptic situations associated with major wildland fires. Journal of Applied Meteorology 16: 867–870. , .
- 1988. 1988 Revisions to the 1978 National Fire Danger Rating System, United States Forest Service SE-273, Asheville, NC. .
- 1997. WFAS: Wildland fire assessment system. Fire Management Notes 57(2): 14–17. , , , , , .
- 1994. Regional-Scale troughing over the Southwestern United States: Temporal climatology, teleconnections, and climatic impact. Physical Geography 15(1): 80–98. .
- 2000. Using Self-Organizing maps to investigate extreme climate events: an application to wintertime precipitation in the Balkans. Journal of Climate 13: 1718–1732. .
- 2002. Intraseasonal variability associated with Wet Monsoons in Southeast Arizona. Journal of Climate 15: 2477–2490. , , .
- 2004. Wildfire-Climate interactions across Southeast Arizona. International Journal of Wildland Fire 13(4): 455–466. , .
- 1977. The National Fire Danger Rating System—1978, United States Forest Service GTR-INT-39, Ogden, UT. , , .
- 1988. A study of the relation of meteorological variables to monthly provincial area burned by wildfire in Canada (1953–80). Journal of Applied Meteorology 27: 331–452. , .
- 2001. Climate, weather, and area burned. In Forest Fires: Behavior and Ecological Effects, JohnsonEA, MiyanishiK (eds). Academic Press: San Deigo, CA, 351–373. , .
- 1978. Weather in Wildland Fire Management: The Fire Weather Index, Conference on Sierra Nevada Meteorology. American Meteorological Society: Lake Tahoe, CA. .
- 1993. Climate change—fire interactions at the global scale: Predictions and limitations of methods. In Fire in the Environment: The Ecological, Atmospheric, and Climatic Importance of Vegetation Fires, CrutzenPJ, GoldammerJG (eds). John Wiley & Sons: Chicester. , , .
- 1997. High resolution fire weather models. Fire Management Notes 57: 22–25. .
- 2002. Modification of the Fosberg fire weather index to include drought. International Journal of Wildland Fire 11: 205–211. .
- 1983. Fire-danger rating and wildfire occurrence in the Northeastern United States. Forest Science 29(4): 679–696. , , , .
- 2002. Self-organizing maps: applications to synoptic climatology. Climate Research 22: 13–26. , .
- 1993. Wildfires in the southern Canadian rocky mountains and their relationship to mid-tropospheric anomalies. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 23: 1213–1222. , .
- 1996. The NCEP-NCAR 40-Year Reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77(77): 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Self-Organizing Maps. Springer: New York, 501. .
- 1995. SOM_PAK: The self-organizing map package, v. 3.1. Helsinki Finland, Laboratory of Computer and Information Science, University of Helsinki. , , , .
- NWCG. 2000. National Fire Danger Rating System: Weather Station Standards. Boise, National Wildfire Coordinating Group. PMS 426-3: 31.
- NPS. 2001. Cerro Grande Prescribed Fire: Board of Inquiry Final Report, National Park Service: Sante Fe, New Mexico. 52.
- 1996. Introduction to Wildland Fire: Fire Management in the United States. Wiley: New York, 455. , , .
- 1972. A Mathematical Model for Predicting Fire Spread in Wildland Fuels, Intermountain Forest and Range Experiment Station Research Paper INT-115, Ogden, UT. .
- 2002. Gaining an understanding of the National Fire Danger Rating System. National Wildfire Coordinating Group: Boise, ID, 82. , .
- 2004. The interaction of fire, fuels, and climate across Rocky mountain forests. BioScience 54(7): 661–676. , , .
- 1969. Critical Fire Weather Patterns in the Conterminous United States. Environmental Science Services Administration: Silver Spring, MD. .
- 2002. The climate of the U.S. Southwest. Climate Research 21: 219–238. , , , , .
- 1968. The Moisture Content of Forest Fuels: A Review of the Basic Concepts. Forest Fire Research Institute: Ottawa, Ontario. .
- 1990. Fire-Southern oscillation relations in the southwestern United States. Science 249: 1017–1020. , .
- 1998. Mesoscale disturbance and ecological response to decadal climatic variability in the American Southwest. Journal of Climate 11: 3128–3147. , .
- 1994. A synoptic climatology for forest fires in the NE US and future implications from GCM simulations. International Journal of Wildland Fire 4: 217–224. , , , .
- 2002. Long lead statistical forecasts of area burned in western U.S. wildfires by ecosystem province. International Journal of Wildland Fire 11: 257–266. , , , .
- 2003. Climate and Wildfire in the Western United States. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 84(5): 595–604. , , , , .
- 2002. Apache-Sitegreaves National Forests Rodeo-Chediski Fire Effects Summary Report. Apache-Sitegreaves National Forest: Springerville, AZ. , , , , .
- 1993. Synoptic Climatology in Environmental Analysis. Belhaven Press: London. .
- 2001. Developments and prospects in synoptic climatology. International Journal of Climatology 21: 1923–1950. , , , .