The behavior of extreme cold air outbreaks under greenhouse warming
Version of Record online: 20 MAR 2006
Copyright © 2006 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 26, Issue 9, pages 1133–1147, July 2006
How to Cite
Vavrus, S., Walsh, J. E., Chapman, W. L. and Portis, D. (2006), The behavior of extreme cold air outbreaks under greenhouse warming. Int. J. Climatol., 26: 1133–1147. doi: 10.1002/joc.1301
- Issue online: 16 JUN 2006
- Version of Record online: 20 MAR 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 NOV 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 22 NOV 2005
- Manuscript Received: 27 MAY 2005
- NSF. Grant Number: ATM-0332099, ATM-0332081, OPP-0327664
- 2000. The Pacific decadal oscillation, air-sea interaction and central north Pacific winter atmospheric regimes. Geophysical Research Letters 27(5): 731–734. , .
- 1986. Comparison of the synoptic conditions in midlatitudes accompanying cold surges over eastern Asia for the months of December 1974 and 1978. Part I: Monthly mean fields and individual events. Monthly Weather Review 114: 903–930. .
- 2004. Downstream weather impacts associated with atmospheric blocking over the Northeast Pacific. Journal of Climate 17: 4823–4839. , , .
- 1995. The structure and evolution of cold surges east of the Rocky Mountains. Monthly Weather Review 123: 2577–2610. , .
- 2005. The Community Climate System Model: CCSM3. Journal of Climate Submitted to. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. GFDL's CM2 global coupled climate models—Part 1: Formulation and simulation characteristics. Journal of Climate submitted to. and co-authors.
- 1986. Persistent anomalies of the extratropical northern hemisphere wintertime circulation: structure. Monthly Weather Review 114: 178–207. .
- 2001. Subtropical cold surges: regional aspects and global distribution. International Journal Of Climatology 21: 1181–1197. .
- 1994. Decadal-scale climate variability in the tropical and North Pacific during the 1970s and 1980s: observations and model results. Climate Dynamics 10: 135–162. .
- 2004. Detectability of anthropogenic changes in annual temperature and precipitation extremes. Journal of Climate 17: 3683–3700. , , , .
- 2004. Interaction of climatic variability with climatic change. Atmosphere-Ocean 42: 145–172. , .
- IPCC. 2001. Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. WMO/UNEP, Cambridge University Press: Cambridge.
- 2005. Changes in occurrence of cold surges over east Asia in association with the Arctic oscillation. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L14704, DOI:10.1029/2005GL023024. , .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin Of The American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. and co-authors.
- 1990. Detection of climatic change in the western North American Arctic using a synoptic, climatological approach. Journal of Climate 3: 1153–1167. , , .
- 2002. Daily dataset of 20th-century surface air temperature and precipitation series for the European climate assessment. International Journal Of Climatology 22: 1441–1453. and co-authors.
- 1996. Relationships between the intensity of cold-air outbreaks and the evolution of synoptic and planetary-scale features over North America. Monthly Weather Review 124: 1067–1083. .
- 2002. Variability and trends in short-duration extreme events in the U.S. In 13th Symposium on Global Change and Climate Variations, 13–17 January 2002, Orlando, Florida, Boston, MA, American Meteorological Society, Paper 6.9, 83–84. , , .
- 2000. Observed warming in cold anticyclones. Climate Research 14: 1–6. , , , .
- 1950. The index cycle and its role in the general circulation. Journal Of Meteorology 7: 130–139. .
- 1991. Florida citrus freezes and polar anticyclones in the great plains. Journal of Climate 4: 1103–1113. , .
- 1995. A coupled atmosphere-ocean model for transient climate change studies. Atmosphere-Ocean 33(4): 683–730. , , .
- 1999. Response to CO2 transient increase in the GISS coupled model: Regional coolings in a warming climate. Journal of Climate 12: 531–539. , .
- 1998. The Arctic oscillation signature in the wintertime geopotential height and temperature fields. Geophysical Research Letters 25: 1297–1300. , .
- 2001. Regional climate impacts of the northern hemisphere annular mode. Science 293: 85–88. , .
- 2002. Stratospheric connection to northern hemisphere wintertime weather: implications for prediction. Journal of Climate 15: 1421–1428. , , .
- 2005. Surface pressure trends in the Canadian Arctic during 1953–2003. Preprints, 8th Conference on Polar Meteorology and Oceanography, San Diego, CA, American Meteorological Society, CD-ROM. .
- 2005. Simulations of wintertime Arctic air surges into middle latitudes, Preprints, 8th Conference on Polar Meteorology and Oceanography, San Diego, CA, American Meteorological Society, CD-ROM. , , , .
- 2001. Extreme cold outbreaks in the United States and Europe, 1948–99. Journal of Climate 14: 2642–2658. , , , .
- 2000. Parallel climate model (PCM) control and transient simulations. Climate Dynamics 16: 755–774. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The new Meteorological Research Institute Coupled GCM (MRI-CGCM2)-model climate and variability. Papers In Meteorology And Geophysics 51: 47–88. , , , , , , , , .