Intraseasonal modes of variability affecting the South Atlantic Convergence Zone
Article first published online: 20 MAR 2006
Copyright © 2006 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 26, Issue 9, pages 1165–1180, July 2006
How to Cite
Castro Cunningham, C. A. and De Albuquerque Cavalcanti, I. F. (2006), Intraseasonal modes of variability affecting the South Atlantic Convergence Zone. Int. J. Climatol., 26: 1165–1180. doi: 10.1002/joc.1309
- Issue published online: 16 JUN 2006
- Article first published online: 20 MAR 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 NOV 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 21 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Received: 14 OCT 2004
- 2004. The South Atlantic convergence zone: intensity, form, persistence, and relationships with intraseasonal to interannual activity and extreme rainfall. Journal of Climate 17: 88–108. , , .
- 1986. Anomalias de precipitação no sul do Brasil e variações na circulação atmosférica. Revista Brasileira de Meteorologia 1: 83–90. , .
- 2000. Teleconnection patterns orographically induced in model results and from observational data in the austral winter of the Southern Hemisphere. International Journal of Climatology 20: 1191–1206. .
- 1999. High-frequency patterns of the atmospheric circulation over southern hemisphere and South America. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 69: 179–193. , .
- 2001. Droughts in Brazil during Summer and fall 2001 and associated atmospheric circulation features. Climanálise. www.cptec.inpe.br/products/climanalise/artigos/artcien2.shtml. , .
- 2001. Atmospheric features associated with rainfall variability over Southern Northeast Brazil. Monthly Weather Review 129: 2614–2626. , .
- 2002. A cautionary note on the interpretation of EOFs. Journal of Climate 15: 216–225, Notes and Correspondence. , .
- 1979. Lanczos filtering in one and two dimensions. Journal of Applied Meteorology 18: 1016–1022. .
- 1990. Tropical-extratropical interaction associated with the 30–60 day oscillation and Its impact on medium and extended range prediction. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 47: 2177–2199. , , , .
- 1995. Analysis of tropical-extratropical interactions with influence functions of a barotropic model. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 52: 3538–3555. , .
- 2005. Topographic effects on the eastward propagation and initiation of the Madden-Julian oscillation. Journal of Climate 18: 795–809. , .
- 1986. Large-amplitude, short-scale stationary Rossby waves in the Southern Hemisphere: Observations and mechanistic experiments to determine their origin. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 43: 252–275. , , .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-Year reanalysis project. Bulletin of American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Sobre o monitoramento das oscilações intrasazonais. Revista Brasileira de Meteorologia 7: 593–602. , .
- 1999. Principal Modes of Southern Hemisphere low frequency variability obtained from NCEP-NCAR reanalysis. Journal of Climate 12: 2808–2830. .
- 1992. Circulation anomalies associated with tropical convection during northern winter. Monthly Weather Review 120: 1900–1923. , .
- 1987. 30–60 day atmospheric oscillations: composite life cycles of convection and circulation anomalies. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1407–1436. , .
- 1992. Large scale common features of subtropical precipitation zones (the Baiu Frontal Zone, the SPCZ, and the SACZ). Part I: Characteristics of subtropical frontal zones. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 70: 813–836. .
- 1988. Precipitation and atmospheric circulation anomaly patterns in the South American sector. Revista Brasileira de Meteorologia 3: 199–206. , .
- 1994. Principal modes of outgoing longwave radiation and 250-mb circulation for the South American sector. Journal of Climate 7: 1131–1143. , .
- 1970. Introductory Mathematical Statistics—Principles and Methods. John Wiley and Sons: New York. .
- 1996. Description of a complete (Interpolated) outgoing longwave radiation dataset. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 1275–1277. , .
- 1999. Submonthly convective variability over South America and the South Atlantic convergence zone. Journal of Climate 12: 1877–1891. , , , , .
- 1983. Statistical field significance and its determination by Monte Carlo technique. Monthly Weather Review 111: 46–59. , .
- 1972. Description of global-scale circulation cells in the tropics with a 40–50 day period. Journal of Atmospheric Sciences 29: 1109–1123. , .
- 1994. Observations of the 40–50-day tropical oscillation—A review. Monthly Weather Review 22: 814–837. , .
- 1996. Development of convection along the SPCZ within a Madden-Julian oscillation. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 122: 669–688. , , , .
- 1987. Statistics and dynamics of persistent anomalies. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 44: 877–901. , .
- 1998. The Pacific-South American modes and tropical convection during the Southern Hemisphere winter. Monthly Weather Review 126: 1581–1596. , .
- 2001. The Pacific-South American modes and their downstream effects. International Journal of Climatology 21: 1211–1229. , .
- 1996. Variations of sea surface temperature, wind stress, and rainfall over the tropical Atlantic and South America. Journal of Climate 9: 2464–2479. , .
- 1997. Alternating wet and dry conditions over South America during summer. Monthly Weather Review 125: 279–291. , .
- 2000. Intraseasonal modulation of South American summer precipitation. Monthly Weather Review 128: 837–850. , , .
- 2003. Influence of the frontal systems on the day-to-day convection variability over South America. Journal of Climate 17: 1754–1766. , .
- 1985. Intraseasonal (30–60 day) fluctuations of outgoing longwave radiation and 250 mb streamfunction during northern winter. Monthly Weather Review 113: 941–961. , , .