Thin plate smoothing spline interpolation of daily rainfall for New Zealand using a climatological rainfall surface
Version of Record online: 5 MAY 2006
Copyright © 2006 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 26, Issue 14, pages 2097–2115, 30 November 2006
How to Cite
Tait, A., Henderson, R., Turner, R. and Zheng, X. (2006), Thin plate smoothing spline interpolation of daily rainfall for New Zealand using a climatological rainfall surface. Int. J. Climatol., 26: 2097–2115. doi: 10.1002/joc.1350
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2006
- Version of Record online: 5 MAY 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 MAR 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 5 MAR 2006
- Manuscript Received: 6 JUN 2005
- New Zealand's Foundation for Research Science and Technology. Grant Number: C01X0010
- 1994. Global rain estimates from microwave-adjusted geosynchronous IR data. Remote Sensing Reviews 11: 125–152. , , .
- 1987. Relationship between measured radar reflectivity and surface rainfall. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1053–1070. .
- 2004. A Feature-based approach to satellite precipitation monitoring using geostationary IR imagery. Journal of Hydrometeorology 5: 910–921. .
- 1997. On the interpolation of hydrologic variables: formal equivalence of multiquadratic surface fitting and kriging. Journal of Hydrology 195: 160–171. , .
- 1979. How wet is the wettest of the wet West Coast? New Zealand Alpine Journal 32: 85–88. .
- 2002. A knowledge-based approach to the statistical mapping of climate. Climate Research 22: 99–113. , , , , .
- 2002. Verifying Satellite precipitation estimates for weather and hydrological applications. In 1st International Precipitation Working Group (IPWG) Workshop, Madrid, 23–27 September, 2002. .
- 2003. The WGNE assessment of short-term quantitative precipitation forecasts. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 84: 481–492. , , , .
- 1999. Extreme rainfalls in the Southern Alps of New Zealand. Journal of Hydrology (NZ) 38(2): 309–330. , .
- 1995. Interpolating mean rainfall using thin plate smoothing splines. International Journal of Geographical Information Systems 9: 385–403. .
- 1998a. Interpolation of rainfall data with thin plate smoothing splines–Part I: two dimensional smoothing of data with short range correlation. Journal of Geographic Information and Decision Analysis 2(2): 139–151. .
- 1998b. Interpolation of rainfall data with thin plate smoothing splines–Part II: analysis of topographic dependence. Journal of Geographic Information and Decision Analysis 2(2): 152–167. .
- 2005. ANUSPLIN, http://cres.anu.edu.au/outputs/anusplin.php. Accessed May 2005. .
- 1983. A new method for estimating the spatial distribution of mean seasonal and annual rainfall applied to the hunter valley, New South Wales. Australian Meteorological Magazine 31: 179–184. , .
- 1994. Splines–more than just a smooth interpolator. Geoderma 62: 45–67. , .
- 2001. Satellite rainfall climatology: a review. International Journal of Climatology 21: 1041–1066. .
- 2000. An analysis of New Zealand synoptic types and their use in defining weather regimes. International Journal of Climatology 20: 299–316. .
- 1987. Comparison of several spatial prediction methods for soil pH. Journal of Soil Science 38: 325–341. , , , .
- 1989. Flood frequency in New Zealand. DSIR Division of Water Sciences, Vol. 20. Publication of the Hydrology Centre: Christchurch, 87. , .
- 1981. Splines and Kriging: Their Formal Equivalence, Vol. 8. Syracuse University Geological Contributions: 77–95. .
- New Zealand Meteorological Service. 1985. Climatic map series. Part 6: annual rainfall. New Zealand Meteorological Service Miscellaneous Publication 175: New Zealand Meteorological Service: Wellington.
- 1995. Regional frequency analysis of low flows in New Zealand rivers. Journal of Hydrology (NZ) 33(2): 94–122. .
- 1948. Natural evaporation from open water, bare soil and grass. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series A 193: 120–146. .
- 1992. A comparison of geostatistical procedures for spatial analysis of precipitation in mountainous terrain. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 58: 119–141. , , .
- 1994. Calibration and performance of the single-layer soil water balance model for pasture sites. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research 37: 107–118. , , .
- 1980. New Zealand climate: I. Precipitation patterns. Monthly Weather Review 108: 1892–1904. .
- 2003. Mesoscale spatial variation of rainfall through a hidden semi-Markov model of breakpoint data. Journal of Geophysical Research 108(D8): 8379, DOI:10.1029/2001JD001447. , .
- 2001. Extraction of breakpoints from radar-estimated rainfall fields. Meteorological Applications 8: 137–152. , , .
- 1998. Modeling of the daily rainfall values using surface under tension and kriging. Journal of Geographic Information and Decision Analysis 2(2): 52–64. , , .
- 2001. A spatially referenced regression model (SPARROW) for suspended sediment in streams of the conterminous U.S. In U.S. Subcommittee on Sedimentation, Proceedings of the Seventh Federal Interagency Sedimentation Conference, Reno, Nevada, VII–80– 7, March 25–29, 2001. , , , .
- 1985. Comparative real data tests of some objective analysis methods by withholding observations. Australian Meteorological Magazine 33: 37–46. , .
- 2004. Scale dependence of radar-rainfall rates—an assessment based on raindrop spectra. Journal of Hydrometeorology 5: 1171–1180. , .
- 1998. Relationships between New Zealand rainfall and south-west Pacific pressure patterns. International Journal of Climatology 18: 407–424. , .
- 2005. Generating multi-year gridded daily rainfall over New Zealand. Journal of Applied Meteorology 44: 1315–1323. , .
- 1997. Estimating long-term annual precipitation in a mountainous region from a diagnostic model. International Journal of Climatology 17: 997–1007. , , .
- 1997. Generating surfaces of daily meteorological variables over large regions of complex terrain. Journal of Hydrology 190: 214–251. , , .
- 1976. Short-period fluctuations of New Zealand rainfall. New Zealand Journal of Science 19(2): 149–161. .
- 2005. On the likelihood of false alarms and the missing of rainfall events at remote locations in New Zealand by scaling methods. Weather and Climate 25: 29–41. , .
- 2003. Improvements to the representation of orography in the met office unified model. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 129: 1989–2010. , , , .
- 1982. Statistics: Discovering its Power. John Wiley and Sons: New York, 378. , .
- 1996. The New Zealand Southern Alps experiment. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 683–692. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. A rational function approach for estimating mean annual evapotranspiration. Water Resources Research, Vol 40, No. 2, W02502: DOI:10.1029/2003WR002710. , , , , .
- 1995. Thin-plate smoothing spline modelling of spatial climate data and its application to mapping South Pacific rainfalls. Monthly Weather Review 123: 3086–3102. , .