Canadian RCM projected climate-change signal and its sensitivity to model errors
Article first published online: 6 JUL 2006
Copyright © 2006 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 26, Issue 15, pages 2141–2159, December 2006
How to Cite
Sushama, L., Laprise, R., Caya, D., Frigon, A. and Slivitzky, M. (2006), Canadian RCM projected climate-change signal and its sensitivity to model errors. Int. J. Climatol., 26: 2141–2159. doi: 10.1002/joc.1362
- Issue published online: 27 NOV 2006
- Article first published online: 6 JUL 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 APR 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 12 APR 2006
- Manuscript Received: 27 MAY 2005
- 1996. Parameterization of the surface-layer exchange coefficients for atmospheric models. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 80: 223–248. , .
- 2001. A mass flux convection scheme for regional and global models. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 127: 869–886. , , , , .
- 1999. A global analysis of snow depth for numerical weather prediction. Journal of Applied Meteorology 38: 726–740. .
- 2003. Gridded north American monthly snow depth and snow water equivalent for GCM evaluation. Atmosphere-Ocean 41(1): 1–14. , , .
- 1994. Hydrologic effects of climate change in west central Canada. Journal of Hydrology 160: 53–70. .
- 1999. A semi-implicit semi-lagrangian regional climate model: the Canadian RCM. Monthly Weather Review 127: 341–362. , .
- 1997. Validation of present regional climate simulations over Europe: LAM simulations with observed boundary conditions. Climate Dynamics 13: 489–506. , , , , , , .
- 2001. An Introduction to Statistical Modeling of Extreme Values. Springer: London. .
- 1989. Statistical Distributions for Flood Frequency Analysis, WMO No. 718. WMP: Geneva. .
- 1976. A lateral boundary formulation for multi-level prediction models. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 102: 405–418. .
- 2006. Evaluation of uncertainties in the CRCM—simulated North American climate: nesting-related issues. Climate Dynamics (Submitted). , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Warming asymmetry in climate change simulations. Geophysical Research Letters 28(1): 195–198. , .
- 2002. Investigation of the hydrologic cycle simulated by the Canadian regional climate model over the québec/labrador territory. In Advances in Global Change Research, Vol 10, Climatic Change: Implications for the Hydrological Cycle and for Water Management, BenistonM (ed). Kluwer Academic Publishers: Dordrecht, Boston; 31–55. , , , .
- 2000. Application of the Canadian regional climate model to the laurentian great lakes region: implementation of a lake model. Atmosphere-Ocean 38: 481–503. , , .
- 1999. Five-minute, 1/2° , and 1° data sets of continental watersheds and river networks for use in regional and global hydrologic and climate system modeling studies. Water Resources Research 35(2): 583–588. , , .
- HYDAT. 2001. Canadian hydrological data available on CD-ROM (version 99-2.00), National Water Data Archive, Environment Canada, available through the Environment Canada Web site at http://www.cmc.ec.gc.ca/climate/hydatintro.htm.
- IPCC. 1995. In Climate Change 1996: Impacts, Adaptations and Mitigation of Climate Change, WatsonRT, ZinyoweraMC, MossRH, DokkenDJ (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK; 878.
- IPCC. 2001. In Climate Change 2001. The Scientific Basis, HoughtonJT, DingY, GriggsDJ, NoguerM, Van der LinderPJ, DaiX, MaskellK, JohnsonCA (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK and New York, USA; 881.
- 2004a. Impacts of climate change on streamflow in the upper Mississippi river basin: a regional climate model perspective. Journal of Geophysical Research 109(D9): D09105. , , , .
- 2004b. Climate change sensitivity assessment on upper Mississippi river basin streamflows using SWAT. Journal of the American Water Resources Association (In Press). , , , .
- 2005. An investigation of the summer precipitation simulated by the Canadian regional climate model. Monthly Weather Review 134: 919–932. , .
- 1996. The NCEP-NCAR 40-year reanalyses project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Statistics of extremes in hydrology. Advances in Water Resources 25: 1287–1304. , , .
- 2003. Current and perturbed climate as simulated by the second-generation Canadian regional climate model over northwestern north America. Climate Dynamics 21: 405–421. , , , .
- 1992. Emissions scenarios for the IPCC: an Update. Climate change 1992: The Supplementary Report to the IPCC Scientific Assessment, HoughtonJT, CallenderBA, VarneySK (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK; 69–96. , , .
- 2003. Implementation of a large-scale variable velocity river flow routing algorithm in the Canadian regional climate model. Atmosphere-Ocean 41(2): 139–153. , , , .
- 1992. The Canadian climate centre second generation circulation model and its equilibrium climate. Journal of Climate 5: 1013–1044. , , , .
- 2004. NARCCAP North American Regional Climate Change Assessment Program: A Multiple AOGCM and RCM Climate Scenario Project Over North America. AGU Fall Meeting: San Francisco; J10.6. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. An improved method of constructing a database of monthly climate observations and associated high-resolution grids. International Journal of Climatology 25(6): 613–712, DOI: 10.1002/joc.1181. , .
- 2001. Hydrologic sensitivity of global ricers to climate change. Climatic Change 50: 143–175. , , , .
- 2001. Evaluation of uncertainties in regional climate change simulations. Journal of Geophysical Research 106(D16): 17735–17751. , , , , , .
- 2005. Climate and climate change over North America as simulated by the Canadian RCM. Journal of Climate (In Press). , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Comparison of clear-sky surface radiative fluxes simulated with radiative transfer models. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing 30(6): 903–912. , , , .
- 2002. Sensitivity of short simulations to the various parameters in the new CRCM spectral nudging. In Research Activities in Atmospheric and Oceanic Modelling, WMO/TD—No 1105, Report No. 32, RitchieH (ed). WMO: Geneva; 7.39–7.40. , .
- 2003. Integrated assessment of Hadley Centre (HadCM2) climate change projections on agricultural productivity and irrigation water supply in the conterminous United States, part I: climate change scenarios and impacts on irrigation water supply simulated with the HUMUS model. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 117(1–2): 73–96. , , , .
- 2000. The dynamics of river water inflow to the Arctic Ocean. The Freshwater Budget of the Arctic Ocean. Kluwer academic publishers: Dordrecht, Netherlands. , , , , .
- 2001. Low flow hydrology: a review. Journal of Hydrology 240: 147–186. .
- 2001. Impacts of climate change on Missouri river basin water yield. Journal Of The American Water Resources Association 37(5): 1119–1130. , , , , , .
- 2004. On the variable-lag and variable-velocity cell-to-cell routing schemes for climate models. Atmosphere-Ocean 42(4): 221–233. , , , , .
- 1991. CLASS—a Canadian land surface scheme for GCMs. I: soil model. International Journal of Climatology 11: 111–133. .
- 1996. Local climates simulated by two generations of Canadian GCM land surface schemes. Atmosphere-Ocean 34: 435–456. .
- 1993. CLASS—a Canadian land surface scheme for GCMs. II: vegetation model and coupled runs. International Journal of Climatology 13: 347–370. , , .
- 2000. A spectral nudging technique for dynamical downscaling purposes. Monthly Weather Review 128: 3664–3673. , , .
- 1998. Global River Discharge Database, 1807–1991, Version 1.1 (RivDis). Available on-line (http://www.daac.ornl.gov) from Oak Ridge National Laboratory Distributed Active Archive Center: Oakridge, TN. , , .
- 1997. Climate change effects on the hydrologic regime within the Churchill-Nelson river basin. Journal of Hydrology 202: 263–279. , .
- 2003. Modeling future streamflow extremes—floods and low flows in Georgia basin, British Clumbia. Canadian Water Resources Journal 28(4): 633–656. , , .
- 2004. Hydrologic implications of dynamical and statistical approaches to downscaling climate model outputs. Climatic Change 62: 189–216. , , , .
- 1990. Validation experiments for a nested grid-point regional forecast model. Atmosphere-Ocean 28: 466–472. , .