Temporal dynamics of the urban heat island of Singapore
Article first published online: 12 JUL 2006
Copyright © 2006 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 26, Issue 15, pages 2243–2260, December 2006
How to Cite
Chow, W. T. L. and Roth, M. (2006), Temporal dynamics of the urban heat island of Singapore. Int. J. Climatol., 26: 2243–2260. doi: 10.1002/joc.1364
- Issue published online: 27 NOV 2006
- Article first published online: 12 JUL 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 APR 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 25 APR 2006
- Manuscript Received: 23 NOV 2005
- National University of Singapore. Grant Number: (R-109-000-037-112)
- 1985. Temporal march of the Chicago heat island. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 24: 547–554. .
- 1987. Land-use approach to the spatial analysis of the urban “heat island” in Ibadan, Nigeria. Weather 42: 273–280. .
- 1941. Physical and Dynamical Meteorology. Cambridge University Press: London. .
- 1965. The Climate of London. Hutchinson: London. .
- 1991. Climate and weather. In The Biophysical Environment of Singapore. ChiaLS, RahmanA, TayDBH (eds). Singapore University Press and the Geography Teachers' Association of Singapore: Singapore; 13–49. , .
- 2000. Impact of rapid urban growth on heat and moisture islands in Pune city, India. Atmospheric Environment 34(17): 2745–2754, DOI: 10.1016/S1352-2310(99)00370-20. .
- Department of Statistics. 1998. Yearbook of Statistics, Singapore. Department of Statistics: Singapore.
- 1994. Urban-suburban-rural air temperature differences related to street geometry. Physical Geography 15(1): 1–22. .
- 1996. Intra-urban nocturnal temperature differences: a multi-variate approach. Climate Research 7: 21–30. .
- 1998. Urban-rural temperature differences in Buenos Aires. International Journal of Climatology 18(15): 1709–1723, DOI: 10.1002/(SICI)1097-0088(199812)18:15 <1709::AID-JOC338> 3.0.CO;2-I. , .
- 1998. The nocturnal heat island phenomenon of Singapore revisited. In Paper Presented at the 5th Southeast Asian Association Geographers' Conference, Singapore. , .
- 1984. Urban topoclimatology. Progress in Physical Geography 8(3): 336–364. .
- 1993. Role of soil moisture in the determination of urban heat island intensity in different climate regimes. In Air Pollution. ZannettiP, BrebbiaCA, Garcia GardeaJE, Ayala MilianG (eds). Computational Mechanics and Elsevier Science: Southampton, Boston, London and New York. .
- 1973. The urban climate of Mexico City. Erdkunde 27: 298–306. .
- 1986a. Tropical urban climates: review and assessment. Urban Climatology and its Applications with Special Regard to Tropical Areas, World Climate Programme, WMO Publication No. 652. World Meteorological Organisation: Geneva; 26–45. .
- 1986b. The urban climate of Mexico City. Urban Climatology and its Applications with Special Regard to Tropical Areas, World Climate Programme, WMO Publication No. 652. World Meteorological Organisation: Geneva; 63–86. .
- 1990/1991. Influence of a large urban park on temperature and convective precipitation in a tropical city. Energy and Buildings 15(3–4): 457–463, DOI: 10.1016/0378-7788(90)90021-A. .
- 1997. Heat island development in Mexico City. Atmospheric Environment 31(22): 3821–3831, DOI: 10.1016/S1352-2310(97)00136–2. .
- 1992. Aspects of heat-island development in Guadalajara, Mexico. Atmospheric Environment 26B(3): 391–396. , , .
- 1976. Weather, Climate, and Human Settlements, WMO Special Environmental Report No. 7. World Meteorological Organisation: Geneva. .
- 1981. The Urban Climate. Academic Press: New York. .
- 1977. Empirical estimation of urban effects on urban climate: a problem analysis. Journal of Applied Meteorology 16: 129–135. .
- 1970. Urban temperature fields. WMO Technical Note 108: Urban Climates. World Meteorological Organisation: Geneva; 80–108. .
- 1999. The urban heat island effect at Fairbanks, Alaska. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 64(1–2): 39–47, DOI: 10.1007/s007040050109. , , .
- 1988. Wind, temperature and stability conditions in an east-west orientated urban canyon. Atmospheric Environment 22: 2691–2700. , .
- 1990. Analysis of the Kuwait City urban heat island. International Journal of Climatology 10: 401–405. , , .
- 1966. The urban microclimate of Singapore. Journal of Tropical Geography 22: 30–37. .
- 1973. City size and the urban heat island. Atmospheric Environment 7: 769–779. .
- 1981. Canyon geometry and the nocturnal urban heat island: comparison of scale model and field observations. Journal of Climatology 1: 237–254. .
- 1982. The energetic basis of the urban heat island. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 108: 1–24. .
- 1986. Urban climatology and the tropical city. Urban Climatology and its Applications with Special Regard to Tropical Areas, World Climate Programme, WMO Publication No. 652. World Meteorological Organisation: Geneva; 1–25. .
- 1987. Boundary Layer Climates, 2nd edn. Methuen: London. .
- 1998. An algorithmic scheme to estimate hourly heat island magnitude. Proceedings from the 2ndUrban Environment Symposium. American Meteorological Society: Albuquerque, NM, Boston, MA; 80–83. .
- 2004. Initial guidance to obtain representative meteorological observations at urban sites. IOM Report No.81, WMO/TD. No. 1250. World Meteorological Organization: Geneva. .
- 1975. Urban heat island dynamics in Montreal and Vancouver. Atmospheric Environment 9: 191–200. , .
- 1990/1991. The tropical urban climate experiment (TRUCE). Energy and Buildings 15–16: 67–73, DOI: 10.1016/0378-7788(90)90117-2. , , .
- 1991. Simulation of surface urban heat islands under “ideal” conditions at night, part 2: diagnosis of causation. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 56: 339–358. , , , .
- 1979. Isotherms and isohumes in Pune on clear winter nights: a mesometeorological study. Mausam 80(1): 134–138. .
- 1986. Some aspects of the urban climates of India. Urban Climatology and its Applications with Special Regard to Tropical Areas, World Climate Programme, WMO Publication No. 652. World Meteorological Organisation: Geneva; 136–165. .
- 1982. Some physical features of heat and humidity islands at Delhi. Mausam 33(2): 211–216. , .
- 2000. Dynamics and controls of the near-surface heat island of Vancouver, British Columbia. Physical Geography 21(4): 283–304. , .
- 2004. A top-down methodology for developing diurnal and seasonal anthropogenic heating profiles for urban areas. Atmospheric Environment 38(17): 2737–2748, DOI:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2004.01.034. , .
- 1987. The urban heat-island — its concept and application to Kuala Lumpur. In Urbanization and the Atmospheric Environment in the Low Tropics: Experiences from the Kelang Valley region, Malaysia, ShamS (ed). Pernerbit Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur; 242–253. .
- Singapore Meteorological Service. 1986. A study of the urban climate of Singapore. In The Biophysical Environment of Singapore and its Neighbouring Countries, ChiaLS, LeeHC, RahmanAR, TongPL, WooWK (eds). Geography Teacher's Association: Singapore; 50–76.
- Singapore Meteorological Service. 1967–1988. Summary of Observations, Various issues. Meteorological Services: Singapore.
- 1980. Studies of the Development and Thermal Structure of the Urban Boundary Layer in Uppsala. Part II, Data Analysis and Results, No. 61. Swedish Meteorological Institute: Uppsala. .
- 2005. Study of green areas and urban heat island in a tropical city. Habitat International 29: 547–558, DOI: 10.1016/j.habitatint.2004.04.008. , .
- World Meteorological Organization. 1971. Guide to Meteorological Instrument and Observing Practices, 4th edn. World Meteorological Organization: Geneva.