Climatic and oceanic associations with daily rainfall extremes over Southern Africa
Version of Record online: 6 JUL 2006
Copyright © 2006 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 27, Issue 1, pages 93–108, January 2007
How to Cite
Williams, C. J. R., Kniveton, D. R. and Layberry, R. (2007), Climatic and oceanic associations with daily rainfall extremes over Southern Africa. Int. J. Climatol., 27: 93–108. doi: 10.1002/joc.1376
- Issue online: 21 DEC 2006
- Version of Record online: 6 JUL 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 MAY 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 5 MAY 2006
- Manuscript Received: 14 NOV 2005
- 1987. The relationship between large-scale convective rainfall and cold cloud over the western-hemisphere during 1982–84. Monthly Weather Review 115(1): 51–74. , .
- 2004. Mechanisms controlling the annual cycle of precipitation in the tropical Atlantic sector in an atmospheric GCM. Climate Dynamics 23(7–8): 717–726. , , .
- 2001. El Niño-like warm events in the Eastern Atlantic (6°N, 20°S) and fish availability from Congo to Angola (1964–1999). Aquatic Living Resources 14: 99–113. , , .
- 1975. The topography of the empirical orthogonal functions. Fourth Conference on Probability and Statistics in Atmospheric Sciences. American Meteorological Society: Tallahassee, FL. .
- 1993. Water vapour transport over southern Africa during wet and dry early and late summer months. International Journal of Climatology 13: 151–170. , .
- 2001. Chapter 10: Africa. In Climate Change 2001: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, McCarthyJ, CanzianiO, LearyN, DokkenD, WhiteK (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 1032. , .
- 2003. Rainfall variability and changes in southern Africa during the 20th century in the global warming context. Natural Hazards 29(2): 139–154. , , , .
- 1999. Importance of the Indian Ocean for simulating rainfall anomalies over eastern and southern Africa. Journal of Geophysical Research 104(D16): 19009–19116. , .
- 1984. A generalised classification of South African summer rain-bearing synoptic systems. Journal of Climatology 4: 547–560. .
- 1983. Atmosphere-ocean mechanisms of climate anomalies in the Angola-tropical Atlantic sector. Journal of Physical Oceanography 13: 1146–1157. , .
- 2002. Simulations of present-day and future climate over southern Africa using HadAM3H. Hadley Centre Technical Note 38, Met. office, Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research, Bracknell: 37. , .
- 1988. The averaging region is based on the rotated principal component analysis of average June through September African rainfall. Journal of Climate 1: 240–255. .
- 1987. Rotation of principal components: some comments. Journal of Climatology 7: 507–510. .
- 1994. A thermal front within the marine atmospheric boundary layer over the Agulhas Current south of Africa: composite aircraft observations. Journal of Geophysical Research 99: 3297–3304. .
- 1993. Composite climatic patterns associated with extreme modes of summer rainfall over southern Africa: 1975–1984. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 47: 137–145. , .
- 1993. Influence of the Agulhas Current on summer rainfall along the southeast coast of South Africa. Journal of Applied Meteorology 32: 11282–11287. , , .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77(3): 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Daily precipitation over southern Africa: a new resource for climate studies. Journal of Hydrometeorology 7(1): 149–159. , , , , .
- 2003. Influence of the north Atlantic SST tripole on northwest African rainfall. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 108(D19): 16. , , .
- 1988. South African rainfall, the Southern Oscillation, and a Southern Hemisphere annual cycle. Journal of Climatology 8: 17–30. .
- 1995. Sea surface temperature—South Africa rainfall associations, 1910–1989. International Journal of Climatology 15: 119–135. .
- 1992. The modulation of sea surface temperature and rainfall associations over southern Africa with solar activity and the Quasi-Biennial Oscillation. Journal of Geophysical Research 97(D5): 5847–5856. , .
- 1999. Assessing simulations of daily temperature and precipitation variability with global climate models for present and enhanced greenhouse climates. International Journal of Climatology 19(1): 1–26. , , , , , .
- 1980. Annual and interannual variability of temperature in the eastern equatorial Atlantic Ocean—Hypothesis of an Atlantic El Niño. Oceanologica Acta 3(2): 209–220. .
- 1990. Surface heat fluxes and marine boundary layer modification in the Agulhas retroflection region. Journal of Geophysical Research 95: 15997–16015. , , .
- 2003. The influence of pacific SST variability on the precipitation over southern Africa. Journal of Climate 16(14): 2408–2418. .
- 1995. Rainfall variability in subequatorial America and Africa and relationships with the main sea-surface temperature models 1951–1990. International Journal of Climatology 15: 1297–1322. , , .
- 2003. Skill of Sahel rainfall variability in four atmospheric GCMs forced by prescribed SST. Geophysical Research Letters 30(23): 4. , , .
- 1998. Southern African climatic anomalies, summer rainfall and the Angola low, PhD thesis, University of Cape Town, 261. .
- 1986. The nature of rainfall variability in Africa south of the equator. Journal of Climatology 6: 515–530. .
- 1982. Sampling errors in the estimation of empirical orthogonal functions. Monthly Weather Review 110: 699–706. , , , .
- 2004. Seasonality and timescales in the relationship between global SST and African rainfall. Climate Dynamics 23(7–8): 815–837. , .
- 2001. Teleconnections between global sea surface temperatures and the interannual variability of observed and model simulated rainfall over southern Africa. Journal of Hydrology 254(1–4): 1–15. , .
- 1998. Warm and cold events in the southeast Atlantic/southwest Indian Ocean region and potential impacts on circulation and rainfall over southern Africa. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 69: 49–65. .
- 2002. Sensitivity of the southern African circulation to dipole sea surface temperature patterns in the south Indian Ocean. International Journal of Climatology 22(4): 377–393. .
- 1998a. SST variability in the South Indian Ocean and associated circulation and rainfall patterns over southern Africa. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 66: 243–258. , .
- 1998b. Variability of the South Indian Ocean and implications for southern African rainfall. South African Journal of Science 94: 115–122. , .
- 2004. Tropical Cyclone Eline and its unusual penetration and impacts over the southern African mainland. Weather and Forecasting 19(5): 789–805. , .
- 2005a. Relationships between South Atlantic SST variability and atmospheric circulation over the South African region during austral winter. Journal of Climate 18(16): 3339–3355. , .
- 2005b. Interannual variability in rainy season characteristics over the Limpopo region of southern Africa. International Journal of Climatology 25(14): 1835–1853. , , .
- 1986. Rotation of principal components. International Journal of Climatology 6: 293–335. .
- 1997. Interannual variability of south-eastern African summer rainfall. Part 1: relationships with air-sea interaction processes. International Journal of Climatology 17: 235–265. , .
- 1987. Global and regional scale precipitation patterns associated with the El Niño/Southern Oscillation. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1606–1626. , .
- 1996. Relationships between rainfall over semi-arid Southern Africa, geopotential heights, and sea surface temperatures. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 74(1): 21–36. , .
- 2004. Indian Ocean subtropical dipole simulated using a coupled general circulation model. Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans 109(C9), C09001: 1–18. , , , .
- 1990. Impacts Assessment of Climate Change. Report by Working Group II of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Australian Government Printing Service: Canberra. , , .
- 2004. Water vapour transport associated with tropical-temperate trough systems over Southern Africa and the Southwest Indian Ocean. International Journal of Climatology 24: 555–568. , , .
- 2001. A combined satellite infrared and passive microwave technique for estimation of small scale rainfall over the global tropics and subtropics. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 18: 742–755. , , , .
- 1986. Climate Change and Variability in Southern Africa. Oxford University Press: Cape Town; 220. .
- 2000. The Weather and Climate of Southern Africa. Oxford University Press: Cape Town; 384. , .
- 1990. Links between South African summer rainfall and temperature variability of the Agulhas and Benguela Current systems. Journal of Geophysical Research 95: 3297–3319. .
- 1999. Tropical-temperate links in southern Africa and southwest Indian Ocean satellite-derived daily rainfall. International Journal of Climatology 19: 1601–1616. , .
- 1991. Climate regionalisation and rotation of principal components. International Journal of Climatology 11: 1–25. , , .