Indian summer monsoon rainfall and its link with ENSO and Indian Ocean climate indices
Article first published online: 10 OCT 2006
Copyright © 2006 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 27, Issue 2, pages 179–187, February 2007
How to Cite
Ihara, C., Kushnir, Y., Cane, M. A. and De La Peña, V. H. (2007), Indian summer monsoon rainfall and its link with ENSO and Indian Ocean climate indices. Int. J. Climatol., 27: 179–187. doi: 10.1002/joc.1394
- Issue published online: 17 JAN 2007
- Article first published online: 10 OCT 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 JUN 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 25 MAR 2006
- Manuscript Received: 25 JUN 2005
- NSF. Grant Number: ATM-0347009
- Cooperative Institute for Climate Applications and Research (CICAR) National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Grant Number: NA03OAR4320179
- 1995. Multidecadal variability in the climate system over the Indian-Ocean region during the austral summer. Journal of Climate 8: 1853–1873. , , .
- 2003. Protracted ENSO episodes and their impacts in the Indian Ocean region. Deep-Sea Research II 50(12): 2331–2347. , , , .
- 2001. Impact on the Indian Ocean dipole on the relationship between the Indian monsoon rainfall and ENSO. Geophysical Research Letters 28: 4499–4502. , , .
- 2004. On the individual and combined influences of the ENSO and the Indian Ocean dipole on the Indian summer monsoon. Journal of Climate 17: 3141–3154. , , , .
- 2003. Model Selection and Multimodel Inference: A Practical Information-theoretic Approach. Springer-Verlag: New York. , .
- 1980. Practical Nonparametric Statistics, 2nd edn. John Wiley and Sons: New York. .
- 2003. Droughts of the Indian summer monsoon: role of clouds over the Indian Ocean. Current Science 85(12): 1713–1719. , , .
- 2004. Extremes of the Indian summer monsoon rainfall, ENSO and equatorial Indian Ocean oscillation. Geophysical Research Letters 31(12): L12213. , , , .
- 1992. A 1951–80 global land precipitation climatology for the evaluation of General Circulation Models. Climate Dynamics 7: 57–72. .
- 1994. Validation of large-scale precipitation fields in General Circulation Models. In Global Precipitations and Climate Change, NATO ASI Series, DesboisM, DesalmandF (eds). Springer-Verlag: Berlin; 387–406, 466. .
- 1998. Precipitation sensitivity to global warming: comparison of observations with HadCM2 simulations. Geophysical Research Letters 25: 3379–3382. , , .
- 1998. Analyses of global sea surface temperature 1856–1991. Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans 103(C9): 18567–18589. , , , , , .
- 1997. Climatic impact of El Nino/La Nina on the Indian monsoon: a new perspective. Weather 52: 39–46. , .
- 2004. Northeast monsoon rainfall variability over south peninsular India vis-à-vis the Indian Ocean dipole mode. International Journal of Climatology 24(10): 1267–1282. , .
- 2005. Extreme monsoons over East Asia: possible role of Indian Ocean zonal mode. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 82: 81–94. , , , , .
- 1999. On the weakening relationship between the Indian monsoon and ENSO. Science 287: 2156–2159. , , .
- 2000. Impact ENSO on the variability of the Asian-Australian Monsoons as simulated in GCM experiments. Journal of Climate 13(24): 4287–4309. , .
- 1983. The relationship between eastern equatorial Pacific sea surface temperatures and rainfall over India and Sri Lanka. Monthly Weather Review 111(3): 517–528. , .
- 2003. Global analyses of SST, sea ice and night marine air temperature since the late nineteenth century. Journal of Geophysical Research 108: D14,4407. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. ENSO and climatic signals across the Indian Ocean Basin in the global context: part I, interannual composite patterns. International Journal of Climatology 20(11): 1285–1327. , , , .
- 1987. Global and regional scale precipitation patterns associated with the El Nino/Southern Oscillation. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1606–1626. , .
- 1970. Zonal anomaly of sea surface temperature in equatorial Indian Ocean and its possible effect upon monsoon circulation. Tellus 4: 403–409. .
- 1999. A dipole mode in the tropical Indian Ocean. Nature 401: 360–363. , , , .
- 1986. Akaike Information Criterion Statistics. KTK Scientific Publishers: Tokyo. , , .
- 1993. Construction of all-India summer monsoon rainfall series for the period 1844–1991. Journal of Climate 6: 1807–1811. , , .
- 2003. Atmosphere–warm Ocean interaction and its impacts on Asian–Australian monsoon variation. Journal of Climate 16(8): 1195–1211. , , .
- 1992. Monsoon and ENSO: selectively interactive system. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 118: 877–926. , .
- 1999. Coupled ocean–atmosphere dynamics in the Indian Ocean during 1997–98. Nature 401: 356–360. , , , .
- 2005. ICOADS release 2.1 data and products. International Journal of Climatology 25: 823–842. , , , , .