Lagged relationships between North American snow mass and atmospheric teleconnection indices
Version of Record online: 25 SEP 2006
Copyright © 2006 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 27, Issue 2, pages 221–231, February 2007
How to Cite
Sobolowski, S. and Frei, A. (2007), Lagged relationships between North American snow mass and atmospheric teleconnection indices. Int. J. Climatol., 27: 221–231. doi: 10.1002/joc.1395
- Issue online: 17 JAN 2007
- Version of Record online: 25 SEP 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 JUL 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 13 JUN 2006
- Manuscript Received: 7 SEP 2005
- 2002. Relationships between snow cover variability and Arctic Oscillation index on a hierarchy of time scales. International Journal of Climatology 23: 131–142. .
- 2003. Relationship between snow cover variability and Arctic Oscillation Index on a hierarchy of time scales. International Journal of Climatology 23: 131–142. .
- 1987. Classification, seasonality and persistence of low-frequency atmospheric circulation patterns. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1083–1126. , .
- 2004. Effects of El-nino southern oscillation and Pacific interdecadal oscillation on water supply in the Columbia River basin. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management-ASCE 130(4): 281–289. , .
- 2002. U.S. east coast trough indices at 500 hPa and New England winter climate variability. Journal of Climate 15: 3509–3517. , , .
- 1999. A Global analysis of snow depth for numerical weather prediction. Journal of Applied Meteorology 38(6): 726. .
- 2003. Gridded North American monthly snowdepth and snow water equivalent for GCM evaluation. Atmosphere-Ocean 41(1): 1–14. , , .
- 1996. Interannual climate variability an snowpack in the western United States. Journal of Climate 9: 928–948. .
- 1991. The effect of snow cover on the Artic climate. Journal of Climate 4: 686–706. , .
- 2003. Eurasian snow cover, more skillful in predicting U.S. winter climate than the NAO/AO? Geophysical Research Letters 30(23):CLM 3-1–3-4. , .
- 2003. Ohio river valley winter moisture conditions associated with the Pacific North American teleconnection pattern. Journal of Climate 16: 969–981. , .
- 2005. Seasonal forecasting with a simple General circulation model: predictive skill in the AO and PNA. Journal of Climate 18(4): 597–610. , , .
- 2005. Connectivity between Eurasian snow extent and Canadian snow mass and river discharge. Journal of Geophysical Research 110(023106). DOI: 10.1029/2005JD006173. , , .
- 1976. North American influences on the circulation and climate of the North Atlantic sector. Monthly Weather Review 104: 1255–1265. , .
- 2005. Snow mass over North America observations and results from the second phase of the Atmospheric Model Intercomparison Project. Journal of Hydrometeorology 6(5): 681–695. , , , .
- 2003a. Relative impacts of Siberian and North American Snow anomalies on the winter Arctic Oscillation. Geophysical Research Letters 30(1848). DOI: 1810.1029/2003GL017749. , , .
- 2003b. Orogarphic constraints on a modeled Siberian snow-tropospheric-stratospheric teleconnection pathway. Journal of Climate 17: 1176–1188. , , .
- 2002. High frequency and trend adjusted composites of United States temperature and precipitation by ENSO phase. NCEP/Climate Prediction Center Atlas No. 10, 22. , , , , .
- 1995. Decadal trends in the North Atlantic Oscillation: regional temperatures and precipitation. Science 269: 676–679. .
- 2001. The north Atlantic oscillation. Science 291: 603–605. .
- 2002. The snow cover characterizations of northern Eurasia and their relationships to climatic parameters. Boreal Environment Research 7: 437–445. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. The Pacific/North American teleconnection pattern and United States climate part I: regional temperature and precipitation associations. Journal of Climate 4: 517–528. , , .
- 1992. The Pacific/North American teleconnection pattern and United States climate part II: temporal characteristics and index specification. Journal of Climate 5: 707–716. , .
- 1997. A Pacific interdecadal climate oscillation with impacts on salmon production. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 1069–1079. , , , , .
- 2002. Primary modes and predictability of year to year snowpack variations in the Western United States from teleconnections with Pacific ocean climate. Journal of Hydrometeorology 3: 13–25. , .
- 2003. Seasonal modulation of the El Nino Southern Oscillation relationship with sea level pressure anomalies over the North Atlantic in October-March 1873–1996. International Journal of Climatology 23: 143–155. , .
- 2003. Summer U.K. temperature and its links to preceding Eurasian Snow Cover, North Atlantic SST's and the NAO. Journal of Climate 16: 4108–4120. , .
- 2006. Issues with identification of trends in 20th century U.S. snowfall. In Presentation at the 63rd Eastern Snow Conference, Newark, Delaware, June 7–9. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Surface climate and stream-flow variability in the Western United States and their relationships to large-scale circulation indices. Water Resources Research 27(9): 2381–2399. , .
- 1986. North American precipitation and temperature patterns associated with the El-Nino/Southern Oscillation (ENSO). Monthly Weather Review 114: 2352–2362. , .
- 2004. Changes in the sub-decadal covariability between northern hemisphere snow cover and the general circulation of the atmosphere. International Journal of Climatology 24: 33–44. , , .
- 1998. Characteristics of snowfall over the eastern half of the United States and relationships with principal modes of low-frequency atmospheric variability. Journal of Climate 11: 234–250. , , , .
- 1998. Role of multiple level tropospheric circulations in forcing ENSO winter precipitation anomalies. Monthly Weather Review 126: 3102–3116. , , , .
- 1997. The definition of El-Nino. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78(12): 2771–2777. .
- 1981. Teleconnections in the geopotential height field during the Northern Hemisphere winter. Monthly Weather Review 109: 784–812. , .
- 1998. A precipitation climatology for stations in the tropical basin; effects of ENSO. NCEP/Climate Prediction Center, Atlas Number 5. , , .
- 1997. ENSO-like interdecadal variability: 1900–93. Journal of Climate 10: 1004–1020. , , .