Climate teleconnections to Yangtze river seasonal streamflow at the Three Gorges Dam, China
Article first published online: 14 NOV 2006
Copyright © 2006 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 27, Issue 6, pages 771–780, May 2007
How to Cite
Xu, K., Brown, C., Kwon, H.-H., Lall, U., Zhang, J., Hayashi, S. and Chen, Z. (2007), Climate teleconnections to Yangtze river seasonal streamflow at the Three Gorges Dam, China. Int. J. Climatol., 27: 771–780. doi: 10.1002/joc.1437
- Issue published online: 16 APR 2007
- Article first published online: 14 NOV 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 SEP 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 6 SEP 2006
- Manuscript Received: 28 MAR 2006
- NIES Oversea Fellowship Foundation of National Institute for Environmental Studies, Japan
- 2000a. Interannual and interdecadal variations of the East Asian summer monsoon and tropical Pacific SSTs: Part I: role of subtropic ridges. Journal of Climate 13: 4310–4325. , , .
- 2000b. Interannual and interdecadal variations of the East Asian summer monsoon and tropical Pacific SSTs: Part II: meridional structure of the monsoon. Journal of Climate 13: 4326–4340. , , .
- 2000. Interdecadal changes in eastern Pacific ITCZ variability and its influence on the Atlantic ITCZ. Geophysical Research Letters 27: 3687–3690. , , .
- 1998. El Niño–Southern Oscillation and Australian rainfall, streamflow and drought: Links and potential for forecasting. Journal of Hydrology 204: 138–149. , , , .
- 1937. The human side of snow. Scientific Monthly 44: 137–149. .
- 2003. Weighted-climate parametric hydrologic forecasting. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering 8(4): 171–180. .
- 2000. Global patterns of ENSO-induced precipitation. Geophysical Research Letters 27: 1283–1286. , .
- 2002. Hydrologic signatures relating the Asian summer monsoon and ENSO. Journal of Climate 15: 3082–3095. , .
- 2002. Rainfall and the North Atlantic Oscillation: a case study of climate variability in northern England. International Journal of Climatology 22: 843–866. , .
- 2001. Current approaches to seasonal-to-interannual climate predictions. International Journal of Climatology 21: 1111–1152. , , , , , .
- 2002. Shift in the summer rainfall over the Yangtze River valley in the late 1970s. Geophysical Research Letters 29(10): 78–71 to 78–74. , .
- 2001. An analysis of the feasibility of long-range streamflow forecasting for Colombia using El Niño-Southern Oscillation indicators. Journal of Hydrology 246(1–4): 181–196. , .
- 1999. Columbia River stream-flow forecasting based on ENSO and PDO climate signals. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management 125(6): 333–341. , .
- 2002. Economic value of long-lead streamflow forecasts for Columbia River hydropower. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management 128(2): 91–101. , , .
- 2002. Observational evidence of the influence of Pacific SSTs on winter precipitation and spring stream discharge in Idaho. Journal of Hydrology 264(1–4): 157–169. , , .
- 2003. ENSO and PDO effects on hydroclimatic variations of the Upper Colorado River Basin. Journal of Hydroclimatology 4(1): 5–23. , .
- 1989. The influence of ENSO on the summer climate change in China and its mechanism. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 6: 21–33. , .
- 1998. Analyses of global sea surface temperature 1856–1991. Journal of Geophysical Research 103: 18567–18589. , , , , , .
- 2004. Seasonal streamflow forecasting using snow budget and El Niño–Southern Oscillation climate signals: application to the Salt River Basin in Arizona. Journal of Hydrological Engineering 9(6): 523–533. , .
- 1997. Value of seasonal flow forecasts in bayesian stochastic programming. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management 123(6): 327–335. , .
- 1999. On the weakening relationship between∼the monsoon and ENSO. Science 284: 2156–2159. , , .
- 1942. Method of predicting the runoff from rainfall. Transactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers 107: 825–846. , .
- 2004. Vulnerability of water discharge of large Chinese rivers Vulnerability of water discharge of large Chinese rivers to environmental changes: an overview. Regional Environmental Change 4(4): 182–191. .
- 2004. Variability and potential sources of predictability of North American runoff. Water Resources Research 40: W09306, Doi:10.1029/2003WR002789. , , .
- 2001. Water margins: competing paradigms in China. Critical Asian Studies 33: 5–30. DOI: 10.1080/14672710122114. .
- National Bureau of Statistics. 2002. China Statistics Yearbook 2002. China Statistics Press: Beijing (in Chinese).
- 1999. Long-range streamflow forecasting using El Niño-southern oscillation indicators. Journal of Hydrological Engineering 4(2): 144–151. , .
- 1993. Global snow cover monitoring: an update. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 74(9): 1689–1696. , , .
- 2004. Seasonal runoff forecasting using precipitation from meteorological data-assimilation systems. Journal of Hydrometeorology 5(5): 959–973. , , , .
- 2005. Seasonal forecasting of Thailand summer monsoon rainfall. International Journal of Climatology 25(5): 649–664. , , , .
- 2003. Seasonal to interannual ensemble streamflow forecasts for Ceara, Brazil: Applications of a multivariate, semiparametric algorithm. Water Resources Research 39(11): 1307. , .
- 1998. A practical guide to wavelet analysis. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 79(1): 61–78. , .
- 1992. Global analyses from ECMWF and Atlas of 1000 to 10 mb Circulation Statistics. In Technical Report NCAR/TN-373 + STR. National Center for Atmospheric Research: Boulder, CO. .
- 2001. China's 8 challenges to water re-sources management in the first quarter of the 21st Century. Geomorphology 41: 93–104. , .
- 2000. Pacific–East Asian teleconnection: how does ENSO affect East Asian climate. Journal of Climate 13: 1517–1536. , , .
- 1992. Monsoon and ENSO: selectively interactive systems. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 118: 877–926. , .
- 1999. Multi-scale summer rainfall variability over China and its long-term link to global sea surface temperature variability. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 77: 845–857. , , .
- 2003. Decision support system for adaptive water supply management. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management 129(3): 165–177. , , , .
- 2003. Evolution of ENSO-related rainfall anomalies in East Asia. Journal of Climate 16: 3741–3757. , , .
- 2001. Water problems and opportunities in the hydrological sciences in China. Hydrological Sciences Journal 46(6): 907–921. , .
- 2004a. Estimating river discharge from very high-resolution satellite data: a case study in the Yangtze River, China. Hydrological Processes 18(10): 1927–1939, DOI: 10.1002/hyp.1458. , , , .
- 2004b. Characteristic of water quality in the Changjiang River Basin: observations between NIES and CWRC conducted in 1998 and 1999. Journal of Geographical Sciences 59(1): 118–124. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Simulated sediment flux during 1998 big-flood of the Yangtze (Changjiang) River, China. Journal of Hydrology 313: 221–233, Doi:10.1016/j.jhydrol. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Trend and variability of China precipitation in spring and summer: linkage to sea-surface temperatures. International Journal of Climatology 24: 1625–1644. , .
- 2001. Five current important water issues for sustainable development in China. Water International 26(2): 231–238. , .