Drought index evaluation for assessing future wheat production in Greece
Article first published online: 6 DEC 2006
Copyright © 2006 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 27, Issue 7, pages 911–924, 15 June 2007
How to Cite
Mavromatis, T. (2007), Drought index evaluation for assessing future wheat production in Greece. Int. J. Climatol., 27: 911–924. doi: 10.1002/joc.1444
- Issue published online: 16 MAY 2007
- Article first published online: 6 DEC 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 SEP 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 5 JUL 2006
- Manuscript Received: 21 APR 2005
- Agricultural Statistics of Greece. 2001, 2003. Hellenic republic, National statistical service of Greece, ISNN 0065–4574: Athens, Greece.
- 1996. Evaluation of the Palmer Drought Index on the Canadian prairies. Journal of Climate 9: 897–905. , , .
- 1992. Moisture risk assessment for spring wheat on the eastern prairies. a water-use simulation model. Climatological Bulletin 26: 65–78. , , .
- 2003. Vulnerability assessment of the maize and sorghum crops to climate change in Botswana. Climatic Change 61: 339–360. , , .
- 2002. The role of agrometeorological and agrohydrological indices in the phenology of wheat in central Greece. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth 27: 1019–1023. , , .
- 1991. Drought assessment for the potential of precipitation enhancement in northern Greece. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 44: 75–88. , , , .
- 1988. Improving the detection of agricultural drought. a case study of Illinois corn production. Agricultural Meteorology 43: 37–47. , , , .
- 1991. A review of the Palmers drought severity index and where do we go from here?. In Proceedings of the 6thConference on Applied Climatology. Anaheim; 242–246. , .
- 2002. A review of twentieth-century drought indices used in the United States. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 83: 1149–1165. .
- 2002. Regional climate model simulations of present-day and future climates of southern Africa. Technical Note 39, Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research, Met Office: Bracknell, England. , .
- IPCC. 2001. Climate Change 2001. The Scientific Basis, Contribution of Working Group I to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, HoughtonTJ, DingY, GriggsDJ, NoguerM, van der LindenP, DaiX, MaskellK, JohnsonCI (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 881.
- 2003. Future climate impact on the productivity of sugar beet (BETA VULGARIS L.) in Europe. Climatic Change 58: 93–108. , , , .
- 1996. Climate models projections of future climate. In Climate Change 1995. The Science of Climate Change, HoughtonJT, Meiro FilhoLG, CallanderBA, HarrisN, KattenbergA, MaskellK (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 285–358. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The quantification of drought. An evaluation of drought indices. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 83: 1167–1180. , .
- 1997. Predictive assessment of severity of agricultural droughts based on agro-climatic factors. Journal American Water Works Association 33: 1255–1264. , .
- 1998. Rainfed agriculture on Aegean Islands. In Proceedings of the Congress Development Insulaire Durable et Roles de la Recherche et de la Formation, Rhodes, Greece, 523–529. .
- 2002. A drought climatology for Europe. International Journal of Climatology 22: 1571–1592. , .
- 1993. The relationship of drought frequency and duration to time scales. Proceedings of the 8th Conference on Applied Climatology. AMS: Boston, MA; 179–184. , , .
- 1995. Drought monitoring with multiple time scales. Proceedings of the 9thConference on Applied Climatology. AMS: Boston, MA; 233–236. , , .
- 1995. On surface temperature, greenhouse gases, and aerosols. models and observations. Journal of Climate 8: 2374–2386. , , , .
- 2003. Drought indices and their application to east Africa. International Journal of Climatology 23: 1335–1357. , .
- 1965. Meteorological drought, in U.S. Weather Bureau Research Paper 45, 58pp. (Available from NOAA Library and Information Services Division, Washington, DC, 20852). .
- 2000. The impact of new physical parameterizations in the Hadley Centre climate model—HadAM3. Climate Dynamics 16: 123–146. , , , .
- 1972. On the assessment of the surface heat flux and evapotranspiration using large-scale parameters. Monthly Weather Review 100: 81–92. , .
- 2003. An evaluation og agricultural drought indices for the Canadian prairies. Agricultural Meteorology 118: 49–62. , .
- 1994. An Agro-pedo-climatological Knowledge-base of Wheat in Europe. An Agricultural Information System for the European Community. CEC: Luxembourg; 160. , .
- 2001. Changes in near-surface temperature and sea level for the Post-SRES CO2 stabilization scenarios. Integrated Assessment 2: 95–110. , .
- 1990. Spectral estimates of the absorbed photosynthetically active radiation and light use efficiency of a winter wheat crop. International Journal of Remote Sensing 11: 1797–1808. , , , .
- 1998. Objective criteria for estimating the severity of drought in the wheat cropping areas of Australia. Agricultural Systems 57: 333–350. .
- 1948. An approach towards a rational classification of climate. Geographical Review 38: 55–94. .
- 2003. Evaluation of the agreement between the first global remotely sensed soil moisture data with model and precipitation data. J. of Geophysical Research 108, No. D19, 4611. , , , , , .
- 2003. Assessing winter wheat responses to climate change scenarios. a simulation study in the U.S. Great Plains. Climatic Change 58: 119–147. , , .
- 2004. A self-calibrating palmer drought severity index. Journal of Climate 17: 2335–2351. , , .
- 2004. An agricultural drought risk-assessment model for corn and soybeans. International Journal of Climatology 24: 723–741. , , .