Drought reconstruction for North Central China from tree rings: the value of the Palmer drought severity index
Version of Record online: 14 NOV 2006
Copyright © 2006 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 27, Issue 7, pages 903–909, 15 June 2007
How to Cite
Li, J., Chen, F., Cook, E. R., Gou, X. and Zhang, Y. (2007), Drought reconstruction for North Central China from tree rings: the value of the Palmer drought severity index. Int. J. Climatol., 27: 903–909. doi: 10.1002/joc.1450
- Issue online: 16 MAY 2007
- Version of Record online: 14 NOV 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 SEP 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 6 SEP 2006
- Manuscript Received: 31 JAN 2006
- 1996. El Niño Southern Oscillation and Climatic Variability. CSIRO Publishing: Australia. , , .
- 1984. Palmer drought severity index: limitations and assumptions. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 23: 1100–1109. .
- 1994. Summer moisture variability across Europe, 1892–1991: an analysis based on the Palmer drought severity index. International Journal of Climatology 14: 475–506. , , .
- 1985. A time-series analysis approach to tree-ring standardization, PhD dissertation, The University of Arizona Press, Tucson. .
- 1990. Methods of Dendrochronology. Kluwer Academic Press: Netherlands. , .
- 1999. Drought reconstructions for the continental United States. Journal of Climate 12: 1145–1162. , , , .
- 2004. Long-term aridity changes in the western United States. Science 306: 1015–1018. , , , , .
- 2004. A global dataset of Palmer Drought Severity Index for 1870–2002: relationship with soil moisture and effects of surface warming. Journal of Hydrometeorology 5: 1117–1130. , , .
- 2006. Monsoon drought over Java, Indonesia, during the past two centuries. Geophysical Research Letters 33: L04709, Doi:10.1029/2005GL025465. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Variations in the teleconnection of ENSO and summer rainfall in northern China: a role of the Indian summer monsoon. Journal of Climate 17: 4871–4881. , .
- 1976. Tree Rings and Climate. Academic Press: London. .
- 1993. A 1000-year record of temperature and precipitation in the Sierra Nevada. Quaternary Research 39: 249–255. .
- 2002. A review of twentieth-century drought indices used in the United States. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 83: 1149–1165. .
- 1983. Computer-assisted quality control in tree-ring dating and measurement. Tree-ring Bulletin 43: 69–95. .
- 2003. Influence of the Arctic Oscillation and El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO) on ice conditions in the Baltic Sea: the wavelet approach. Journal of Geophysical Research 108(D21): 4677, Doi: 10.1029/2003JD003417. , , .
- 2002. The quantification of drought: an evaluation of drought indices. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 83: 1167–1180. , .
- 2001. Dendroclimatic analyses using Thornthwaite-Mather-type evapotranspiration models: a bridge between dendroecology and forest simulation models. Tree-ring Research 57: 55–66. , .
- 2002. The research on the biological diversity and its values in Helan natural reserve in Ningxia Province. Journal of Agriculture and Forestry Science and technology 4: 9–10. , .
- 2006a. Tree-ring based drought reconstruction for the central Tien Shan area in northwest China. Geophysical Research Letters 33: L07715, Doi:10.1029/2006GL025803. , , , .
- 2006b. Past moisture variability in Northwest China and its relationship to the Asian Southwest monsoon. Climate Dynamics (submitted). , , , , .
- 2003. The extreme drought in the 1920s and its effect on tree growth deduced from tree ring analysis: a case study in North China. Annals of Forest Science 60: 145–152. , , , .
- 2002. Tropical links of the Arctic Oscillation. Geophysical Research Letters 29: 1943–1946, DOI: 10.1029/2002GL015822. , , , , .
- 2003. Tree-ring precipitation records from Baiyinaobao, Inner Mongolia since A.D. 1838. Chinese Science Bulletin 48: 1140–1145. , , , , .
- 2002. A drought climatology for Europe. International Journal of Climatology 22: 1571–1592. , .
- 1996. Robust estimation of background noise and signal detection in climatic time series. Climatic Change 33: 409–445. , .
- 1987. The annual cycle and interannual variability in the tropical Pacific and Indian Ocean region. Monthly Weather Review 115: 27–50. .
- 1995. Tree-ring reconstruction of Upper Gila River discharge. Water Resources Bulletin 31: 605–616. , .
- 2003. Drought indices and their application to East Africa. International Journal of Climatology 23: 1335–1357. , .
- 1997. Adjusting variance for sample-size in tree-ring chronologies and other regional mean time series. Dendrochronologia 15: 89–99. , , .
- 1965. Meteorological Drought. Weather Bureau Res. Paper 45. U.S. Department of Commerce: Washington, DC; 58. .
- 2001. Hydrometeorological reconstructions for northeastern Mongolia derived from tree rings: AD 1651–1995. Journal of Climate 14: 872–881. , , , , , , .
- 1985. A 450-year drought reconstruction for Arkansas, United States. Nature 316: 530–532. , , .
- 2004. Exploring drought and its implications for the future. Eos, Transactions-American Geophysical Union 85: 27–29. , , .
- 2006. Summer moisture variability across Europe. Journal of Climate 19: 2818–2834. , , , .
- 2005. Observed trends in extreme precipitation events in China during 1961–2001 and the associated changes in large-scale circulation. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L09707, Doi: 10.1029/2005GL022574. , .
- 2004. A self-calibrating Palmer drought severity index. Journal of Climate 17: 2335–2351. , .
- 1984. On the average value of correlated time series, with applications in dendroclimatology and hydrometeorology. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 23: 201–213. , , .
- 2006. Moisture conditions and climate trends in China during the period 1971–2000. International Journal of Climatology 26: 193–206. , , , .
- 1999. A diagnostic study of the impact of El Nino on the precipitation in China. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 16: 229–241. , , .
- 2005. Variations in droughts over China: 1951–2003. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L04707, Doi: 10.1029/2004GL021853. , , .