Relationship between the tropical Pacific and Indian Ocean sea-surface temperature and monthly precipitation over the central highlands, Vietnam
Article first published online: 22 MAY 2007
Copyright © 2007 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 27, Issue 11, pages 1439–1454, September 2007
How to Cite
Nguyen, T. D., Uvo, C. and Rosbjerg, D. (2007), Relationship between the tropical Pacific and Indian Ocean sea-surface temperature and monthly precipitation over the central highlands, Vietnam. Int. J. Climatol., 27: 1439–1454. doi: 10.1002/joc.1486
- Issue published online: 21 AUG 2007
- Article first published online: 22 MAY 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 NOV 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 31 MAR 2006
- Manuscript Received: 4 NOV 2005
- Water SPS Sub-component 1.3 of the DANIDA program support to Water Resources University, Vietnam
- 1984. Interaction of the monsoon and Pacific trade wind system at inter-annual time scales. Monthly Weather Review 112: 2380–2387. .
- 1986. Radom Data-Analysis and Measurement Procedures. John Wiley: New York; 525. , .
- 1992. An intercomparison of methods for finding coupled patterns on climate data. Journal of Climate 5: 541–560. , , .
- 1999. Anomalous warming in the Indian Ocean coincident with El Niño. Journal of Geophysical Research 104(2): 3035–3047. , , .
- 1999. Interannual and intraseasonal variations in monsoon depressions and their westward-propagating predecessors. Monthly Weather Review 127: 1005–1020. , .
- 2000. Interannual Variation in Indochina summer monsoon rainfall: Possible mechanism. Journal of Climate 13: 1979–1986. , .
- 1999. Asian summer monsoon—ENSO feedback on the Cane-Zebiak model ENSO. Journal of Climate 12: 2787–2807. , .
- 1996. Some aspects of climatology of the summer monsoon over the South China Sea. In Atmospheric Circulation to Global Change, IAP Chinese Academy of Sciences. China Meteorological Press: Beijing; 329–339. , , .
- 1994a. GCM simulations of active and break monsoon period. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Monsoon Variability and Prediction, Trieste, WMO/TD 619, 576–585. , .
- 1994b. Simulation and predictability of monsoons. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Monsoon Variability and Prediction, Trieste, WMO/TD 619, 567–575. , .
- 1998. Interannual variations of Indian summer monsoon in a GCM: External conditions versus internal feedbacks. Journal of Climate 11: 501–522. .
- 1984. Quasi-periodic oscillations in a symmetric general circulation model. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 41: 20–37. , .
- 1999. A broad scale circulation index for the interannual variability of the Indian summer monsoon. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 125: 611–633. , , .
- 1987. Onset of Asian monsoon in 1979 and the effect of the Tibetan Plateau. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1966–1995. , , , .
- 2003. Indonesian rainfall variability: Impacts of ENSO and local air-sea interaction. Journal of Climate 16: 1775–1790. .
- 1994. Relationship between tropical heating and global circulation: interannual variability. Journal of Geophysical Research 99: 10473–10489. .
- 1995. The Asian summer monsoon and ENSO. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 121: 1133–1168. , .
- 2002. Recent change in the connection from the Asian monsoon to ENSO. Journal of Climate 15: 1203–1215. , , .
- 2000. On the influence of the Indian summer Monsoon on ENSO. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 126: 213–239. , .
- 1999. Remote Sea surface temperature variations during ENSO: Evidence for a tropical atmospheric bridge. Journal of Climate 12: 917–932. , , .
- 1999. On the weakening relationship between the Indian monsoon and ENSO. Science 284: 2156–2159. , , .
- 1984. A rotated eigenanalysis of the correlation between 700-mb heights and sea surface temperatures in the Pacific and Atlantic. Monthly Weather Review 112: 2270–2280. .
- 1994. A modeling study of the relative roles of the tropical and extratropical SST anomalies in the variability of the global atmosphere-ocean system. Journal of Climate 7: 1184–1207. , .
- 1996. The role of the “atmospheric bridge” in linking tropical Pacific ENSO events to extratropical SST anomalies. Journal of Climate 9: 2036–2057. , .
- 1997. Climatology and interannual variability of the Southeast Asian summer monsoon. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 14: 141–162. , .
- 2003. Atmosphere–ocean variations in the Indo-Pacific sector during ENSO episodes. Journal of Climate 16: 3–20. , .
- 1996. The onset and interannual variability of the Asian summer monsoon in relation to land-sea thermal contrast. Journal of Climate 9: 358–375. , .
- 1997. Seasonal transition of summer rainy season over Indochina and adjacent monsoon region. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 14: 231–245. .
- 1976. A technique for analyzing the linear relationships between two meteorological fields. Monthly Weather Review 104: 1345–1353. .
- 2000. Seasonal march of Asian summer monsoon. International Journal of Climatology 20(11): 1371–1386. , .
- 2002. An improved in Situ and Satellite SST analysis for climate. Journal of Climate 15: 1609–1625. , , , , .
- 1981. Westward propagating predecessors of monsoon depressions. Monthly Weather Review 109: 330–343. , , .
- 1987. Interannual variability of monsoon. In Monsoons, FeinJS, StephensPL (eds). Wiley and Sons: New York; 399–464. .
- 1980. Some aspects of large-scale fluctuations of summer monsoon rainfall over India in relation to fluctuations in planetary and regional scale circulation parameters. Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Sciences-Earth and Planetary Sciences 89: 179–195. .
- 1997. Sensitivity of Asian summer monsoon to aspects of sea surface temperature anomalies in the tropical Pacific Ocean. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 123: 309–336. , .
- 1999. Interdecadal changes in the ENSO-monsoon system. Journal of Climate 12: 2679–2690. , .
- 1998. The Relationships between tropical Pacific and Atlantic SST and northeast Brazil monthly precipitation. Journal of Climate 11: 551–562. , , , .
- 1996. Monsoon-ENSO interaction using a simple coupled ocean-atmosphere model. Journal of Geophysical Research 101: 25599–25614. , .
- 1924. Correlation in seasonal variations of weather, IV, a further study of world weather. Memoirs of the Indian Meteorological Department 24: 275–332. .
- 1992. Singular value decomposition of wintertime sea surface temperature and 500-mb heights anomalies. Journal of Climate 5: 561–576. , , .
- 1993. Structure and seasonality of interannual and interdecadal variability of the geopotential height and temperature fields in northern hemisphere troposphere. Journal of Climate 6: 2063–2082. , , .
- 1997. Peculiar temporal structure of the South China Sea summer monsoon. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 14: 177–194. , .
- 2003. Atmosphere-warm ocean interaction and its impacts on Asian-Australian monsoon variations. Journal of Climate 16: 1195–1211. , , .
- 1992. Monsoon and ENSO—selectively interactive systems. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 118: 877–926. , .
- 1992. Processes involved in monsoon variability. In Physical Processes in Atmospheric Models, SikkaDR, SinghSS (eds). Wiley Eastern: New Delhi; 492–500. , , , .
- 2004a. Impacts of the Indian Ocean on the Indian summer monsoon–ENSO relationship. Journal of Climate 17: 3037–3054. , .
- 2004b. The tropospheric biennial oscillation of the monsoon-ENSO system in an interactive ensemble coupled GCM. Journal of Climate 17: 1623–1640. , .
- 1987. Indonesian throughflow and associated pressure gradient. Journal of Geophysical Research 92: 12941–12946. .
- 1998. The interannual variability of the summer monsoon onset over the South China Sea. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 59: 201–213. , , , .
- 1992. Seasonal heating of the Tibetan Plateau and its effects on the evolution of the Asian summer monsoon. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 70: 319–351. , , .
- 1990. Impact of Indian monsoon on the coupled atmosphere ocean system in the tropical Pacific. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 44: 29–41. .
- 2004. Influences of tropical western and extratropical Pacific SST on east and southeast Asian climate in the summers of 1993–94. Journal of Climate 17: 2673–2686. , , , , .
- 1999. Mechanisms for the Indian Ocean warming during the 1997–1998 El Ninõ. Geophysical Research Letters 26: 735–738. , .
- 2002. Impacts of the Indian Ocean on the ENSO cycle. Geophysical Research Letters 29(8): 1204, 10.1029/2001GL014098. , , , .
- 2002. Onset of Asian summer monsoon over Indo-china and its interannual variability. Journal of Climate 15: 3206–3221. , , , .
- 2004. Characteristics, evolution and mechanisms of the summer monsoon onset over Southeast Asia. International Journal of Climatology 24: 1461–1482. , , .