Trends in the boreal summer regional Hadley and Walker circulations as expressed in precipitation records from Asia and Africa during the latter half of the 20th century
Article first published online: 1 AUG 2007
Copyright © 2007 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 28, Issue 5, pages 563–578, April 2008
How to Cite
Zhao, H. and Moore, G. W. K. (2008), Trends in the boreal summer regional Hadley and Walker circulations as expressed in precipitation records from Asia and Africa during the latter half of the 20th century. Int. J. Climatol., 28: 563–578. doi: 10.1002/joc.1580
- Issue published online: 3 APR 2008
- Article first published online: 1 AUG 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 MAY 2007
- Manuscript Revised: 20 APR 2007
- Manuscript Received: 2 NOV 2006
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada. Grant Number: Canadian Foundation for Climate and Atmospheric Sciences
- 1999. Comparison of surface and tropospheric temperature trends estimated from a 63-station radiosonde network, 1958–1998. Geophysical Research Letters 26: 2761–2764. .
- 1969. Atmospheric teleconnections from the equatorial Pacific. Monthly Weather Review 97: 163–172. .
- 1997. Twentieth-century sea surface temperature trends. Science 275: 957–960. , , , , , , , .
- 1977. Comparative-Study of effects of albedo change on drought in semi-arid regions. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 34: 1366–1385. , , , .
- 2002. Evidence for strengthening of the tropical general circulation in the 1990s. Science 295: 838–841. , , .
- 2001. Suppressing impacts of the Amazonian deforestation by the global circulation change. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 82: 2209–2216. , , , .
- 2000. ENSO indices based on patterns of satellite-derived precipitation. Journal of Climate 13: 2786–2793. , .
- 1986. Sahel rainfall and worldwide sea temperatures, 1901–85. Nature 320: 602–607. , , .
- 1995. Rainfall anomaly patterns and Wind-Field signals over West-Africa in August (1958–1989). Journal of Climate 8: 1503–1510. , , .
- 1982. Atmospheric-Ocean Dynamics. Academic Press: New York; 662. .
- 2000. Comments on “Choice of south Asian summer monsoon indices”. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 81: 821–822. .
- 2001. A study of the dynamic factors influencing the rainfall variability in the West African Sahel. Journal of Climate 14: 1337–1359. , .
- 2000. The comparison of two merged rain gauge-satellite precipitation datasets. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 81: 2631–2644. , , , .
- 1997. Interdecadal climate fluctuations that depend on exchanges between the tropics and extratropics. Science 275: 805–807. , .
- 2003. The perfect ocean for drought. Science 299: 691–694. , .
- 1997. The Global Precipitation Climatology Project (GPCP) combined precipitation Dataset. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 5–20. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Recent climatic change in the world's drylands. Geophysical Research Letters 23: 61–64. .
- 1996. Sahel droughts and ENSO dynamics. Geophysical Research Letters 23: 515–518. , , .
- 1988. An investigation of interannual rainfall variability in Africa. Journal of Climate 1: 240–255. .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Recent change in the connection from the Asian monsoon to ENSO. Journal of Climate 15: 1203–1215. , , .
- 2004. An evaluation of the apparent interdecadal shift in the tropical divergent circulation in the NCEP-NCAR reanalysis. Journal of Climate 17: 349–361. , , , .
- 2001. Monsoon rainfall variations and teleconnections over South and East Asia. International Journal of Climatology 21: 603–616. , .
- 1971. Tropical East-West circulations during the northern summer. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 28: 1342–1347. .
- 2000. Indian monsoon-ENSO relationship on interdecadal timescale. Journal of Climate 13: 579–595. , .
- 1999. On the weakening relationship between the Indian monsoon and ENSO. Science 284: 2156–2159. , , .
- 2004. Differing trends in the tropical surface temperatures and precipitation over land and oceans. Journal of Climate 17: 653–664. , , , .
- 2003. Walker circulation. Encyclopedia of Atmospheric Sciences, PyleJ, CurryJA, HoltonJR (eds). Academic Press: New York. , .
- 2000. Interannual variability in rainfall, water vapor flux, and vertical motion over West Africa. Journal of Climate 13: 3827–3841. , , .
- 2002. Spatial and temporal variabilities of rainfall in tropical South America as derived from climate prediction center merged analysis of precipitation. International Journal of Climatology 22: 175–195. , , , .
- 2002. Slowdown of the meridional overturning circulation in the upper Pacific Ocean. Nature 415: 603–608. , .
- 2005. Has the Hadley cell been strengthening in recent decades? Geophysics Research Letters 32: L03809, Doi:10.1029/2004GL021765. , .
- 2002. Climate change in the North Pacific region over the past three centuries. Nature 420: 401–403. , , .
- 2005. Mount Logan ice core evidence for changes in the Hadley and walker circulations following the end of the little ice age. In The Hadley and Walker Circulations Following the End of the Little Ice Age, BradleyRA, DiazH (eds). Kluwer Academic Publishers: The Netherlands. , , .
- 1994. Guinean and Sahelian rainfall anomaly indexes at annual and monthly scales (1933–1990). International Journal of Climatology 14: 325–341. .
- 2000. An assessment of the NCEP, NASA, and ECMWF reanalyses over the tropical West Pacific warm pool. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 81: 41–48. , , .
- 1980. The nature of rainfall fluctuations in sub-tropical West-Africa. Monthly Weather Review 108: 473–487. .
- 1996. Observed interannual variability in the Hadley circulation and its connection to ENSO. Journal of Climate 9: 2751–2767. , .
- 1992. Indian summer monsoon rainfall indexes 1871–1990. Meteorological Magazine 121: 174–186. , , .
- 2000. The influence of Atlantic sea surface temperature anomalies on the North Atlantic oscillation. Journal of Climate 13: 122–138. , , .
- 1999. The monsoon rainband over China and relationships with the Eurasian circulation. Journal of Climate 12: 115–131. , , .
- 2000. Statistical significance of trends and trend differences in layer-average atmospheric temperature time series. Journal of Geophysical Research 105: 7337–7356. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Trend and interannual variability of Walker, monsoon and Hadley circulations defined by velocity potential in the upper troposphere. Tellus A 56: 250–269. , , .
- 2000. Ice core evidence for climate change in the tropics: implications for our future. Quaternary Science Review 19: 19–35. .
- 2000. A high-resolution millennial record of the South Asian Monsoon from Himalayan ice cores. Science 289: 1916–1919. , , , , , .
- 1990. Recent observed interdecadal climate changes in the Northern Hemisphere. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 71: 988–993. .
- 2000. The global monsoon as seen through the divergent atmospheric circulation. Journal of Climate 13: 3969–3993. , , .
- 2002a. Atlantic climate variability and its associated atmospheric circulation cells. Journal of Climate 15: 1516–1536. .
- 2002b. Atmospheric circulation cells associated with the El Nino Southern Oscillation. Journal of Climate 15: 399–419. .
- 1990. Precipitation fluctuation over semiarid region in northern China and the relationship with El Nino/Southern Oscillation. Journal of Climate 3: 769–783. , .
- 2006. Trends in Seoul (1778–2004) summer precipitation. Geophysical Research Letters 33: L15803, Doi:10.1029/2006GL026418. , , .
- 1992. Monsoon and ENSO–selectively interactive systems. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 118: 877–926. , .
- 1998. Monsoons: processes, predictability, and the prospects for prediction. Journal of Geophysical Research 103: 14451–14510. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Global warming and the problem of testing for trend in time-series data. Journal of Climate 6: 953–962. , .
- 1999. The interpretation of short climate records, with comments on the North Atlantic and southern Oscillations. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 80: 245–256. .
- 1995. An Intercomparison of gauge observations and satellite estimates of monthly precipitation. Journal of Applied Meteorology 34: 1143–1160. , .
- 1997. Global precipitation: a 17-year monthly analysis based on gauge observations, satellite estimates, and numerical model outputs. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 2539–2558. , .
- 1999. Enhancement of interdecadal climate variability in the Sahel by vegetation interaction. Science 286: 1537–1540. , , , .
- 1997. ENSO-like interdecadal variability: 1900–93. Journal of Climate 10: 1004–1020. , , .
- 2002. On the relationship between Dasuopu snow accumulation and the Asian summer monsoon. Geophysical Research Letters 29(24): 2222, Doi:10.1029/2002GL015757. , .
- 2006. Reduction in Himalayan snow accumulation and weakening of the trade winds over the Pacific since the 1840s. Geophysical Research Letters 33: L17709, Doi:10.1029/2006GL027339. , .
- 2004. Decadal change of the spring snow depth over the Tibetan plateau: The associated circulation and influence on the East Asian summer monsoon. Journal of Climate 17: 2780–2793. , , .
- 2002. 80 yr oscillation of summer rainfall over north china and east Asian Summer monsoon. Geophysical Research Letters 29(14): 1672, Doi:10.1029/2001GL013997. , .