Temperature change signals in northern Canada: convergence of statistical downscaling results using two driving GCMs
Version of Record online: 27 SEP 2007
Copyright © 2007 Crown in the right of Canada. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
International Journal of Climatology
Special Issue: Downscaling and hydrology: progress in assessing impacts and adaptation to climate change
Volume 27, Issue 12, pages 1623–1641, October 2007
How to Cite
Gachon, P. and Dibike, Y. (2007), Temperature change signals in northern Canada: convergence of statistical downscaling results using two driving GCMs. Int. J. Climatol., 27: 1623–1641. doi: 10.1002/joc.1582
- Issue online: 27 SEP 2007
- Version of Record online: 27 SEP 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 MAY 2007
- Manuscript Revised: 21 MAY 2007
- Manuscript Received: 1 SEP 2006
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- ACIA (Arctic Climate Impact Assessment). 2004. Impacts of a Warming Arctic: Arctic Climate Impact Assessment. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, 140, http://www.acia.uaf.edu.
- ACIA (Arctic Climate Impact Assessment). 2005. Arctic Climate Impact Assessment: Scientific Report. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, 1042, http://www.acia.uaf.edu.
- BarrowEM, MaxwellB, GachonP (eds). 2004. Climate Variability and Change in Canada: Past, Present and Future, ACSD Science Assessment Series N° 2. Meteorological Service of Canada, Environment Canada: Toronto, 114.
- 2000. Future Climate Scenarios for Norway Based on Linear Empirical Downscaling and Inferred Directly from AOGCM Results, KLIMA Rep. 23/00, DNMI: Oslo, 127. .
- 2001. The cause of warming over Norway in the ECHAM4/OPYC3 GHG integration. International Journal of Climatology 21: 371–387. .
- 2002. Empirically downscaled multimodel ensemble temperature and precipitation scenarios for Norway. Journal of Climate 15: 3008–3027. .
- 2006. Regional assessment of GCM-simulated current climate over northern Canada. Arctic 59(2): 115–128. , .
- 2005. Downscaling precipitation and temperature with temporal neural networks. Journal of Hydrometeorology 6(4): 483–496. , , .
- 1998. Doubled CO2 precipitation changes for the susquehanna basin: down-scaling from the GENESIS general circulation model. International Journal of Climatology 18: 65–76. , .
- 2007. Uncertainty analysis of statistically downscaled temperature and precipitation regimes in northern Canada. Theoretical and Applied Climatology DOI 10.1007/s00704-007-0299-z. , , , , .
- Participating CMIP Modelling Groups. 2004. Sea-ice and its response to CO2 forcing as simulated by global climate models. Climate Dynamics 23: 229–241. ,
- 2001. Warming asymmetry in climate change simulations. Geophysical Research Letters 28: 195–198. , .
- 2000. The CCCma global coupled model and its climate. Climate Dynamics 16: 451–467. , , , , , .
- Linking climate change modeling to impacts studies: recent advances in downscaling techniques for hydrological modeling. International Journal of Climatology (in press). , , .
- 2003. The effects of interactions between surface forcings in the development of a model-simulated polar low in Hudson Bay. Tellus Series A-Dynamic Meteorology and Oceanography 55(1): 61–87. , , , .
- 2005. A First Evaluation of the Strength and Weaknesses of Statistical Downscaling Methods for Simulating Extremes Over Various Regions of Eastern Canada, Sub-component, Climate Change Action Fund (CCAF): Environment Canada, Montreal, Quebec, 209. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. An intercomparison of statistical downscaling methods for Europe and European regions—assessing their performance with respect to extreme temperature and precipitation events. Climatic Change (in press). , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The simulation of SST, sea ice extents and ocean heat transport in a version of the hadley centre coupled model without flux adjustments. Climate Dynamics 16: 147–168. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Changes in Mediterranean Climate Extremes: Patterns, Causes, and Impacts of Change, Ph.D thesis, University of East Anglia, Norwich, 498. .
- 2006. Downscaling heavy precipitation over the UK: a comparison of dynamical and statistical methods and their future scenarios. International Journal of Climatology 26(10): 1397–1415. , , , , .
- 2006. Consensus between GCM climate change projections with empirical downscaling: precipitation downscaling over South Africa. International Journal of Climatology 26(10): 1315–1337. , .
- 1999. Statistical downscaling in central Europe: evaluation of methods and potential predictors. Climate Research 13: 91–101. .
- 2002. Statistical downscaling of daily temperature in central Europe. Journal of Climate 15: 1731–1742. .
- 2004. Sensitivity of local daily temperature change estimates to the selection of downscaling models and predictors. Journal of Climate 17: 640–652. .
- IPCC. 2001. Climate change 2001: the scientific basis. In Contribution of Working Group I to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, HoughtonJT, DingY, GriggsDJ, NoguerM, van der LindenPJ, DaiX, MaskellK, JohnsonCA (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge and New York, 881.
- 2005. Future climate change: modeling and scenarios for the Arctic. In Arctic Climate Impact Assessment, Scientific report. Chapter 4. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, 99–150, http://www.acia.uaf.edu. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The NCEP/NCAR 50-year reanalysis. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 82(2): 247–267. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Climate and climate change in western Canada as simulated by the canadian regional climate model. Atmosphere-Ocean 36: 119–167. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Evaluation of HadCM2 and direct use of daily GCM data in impact assessment studies. Climatic Change 41: 583–614. , .
- 1997. Mean and variance change in climate scenarios: methods, agricultural applications, and measures of uncertainty. Climatic Change 35: 367–396. , , .
- 2003. Guidelines for Use of Climate Scenarios Developed from Regional Climate Model Experiments, Technical report. Data Distribution Centre of the IPCC: http://www.ipcc-data.org/guidelines/index.html. , , , , , .
- 1999. An evaluation of statistical and dynamical techniques for downscaling local climate. Journal of Climate 12: 2256–2284. .
- 2000. Emissions Scenarios. A Special Report of Working Group III of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge and New York, 599. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. On the linkage of large-scale climate variability with local characteristics of daily precipitation and temperature extremes: an evaluation of statistical downscaling methods. Advances in Geosciences (WSPC/SPI-B368)4(16): 1–9. , , .
- 2002. Recent temperature changes in the western Arctic during spring. Journal of Climate 15: 1702–1716. , , .
- 2004. Seasonal and regional variation of pan-arctic surface air temperature over the instrumental record. Journal of Climate 17: 3263–3282. , , , , .
- 1997. The simulation of daily temperature time series from GCM output. Part I: Comparison of model data with observations. Journal of Climate 10: 2497–2513. , , , .
- 2006. Climate and climate change over North America as simulated by the Canadian RCM. Journal of Climate 19: 3112–3132. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. U.S. agriculture and climate change: new results. Climatic Change 57: 43–69. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Methods for Statistical Downscaling of GCM Simulations, SWECLIM Rep. 80, SMHI, 29. .
- 2004. Modelling the ice-ocean seasonal cycle in Hudson Bay, Foxe Basin, and Hudson Strait, Canada. Climate Dynamics 23: 303–326. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Statistical and dynamical downscaling of precipitation: an evaluation and comparison of scenarios for the european alps. Journal of Geophysical Research 112: D04105, DOI: 10.1029/2005JD007026. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Changes in daily and extreme temperature and precipitation indices for Canada over the twentieth century. Atmosphere-Ocean 44(2): 177–193. , .
- 2002. Homogenization of daily temperatures over Canada. Journal of Climate 15: 1322–1334. , , , .
- 1993. Downscaling of global climate change estimates to regional scales: an application to Iberian rainfall in wintertime. Journal of Climate 6: 1161–1171. , , .
- 2000. Precipitation predictors for downscaling: observed and general circulation model relationships. International Journal of Climatology 20: 641–661. , .
- 2002. SDSM—a decision support tool for the assessment of regional climate change impacts. Environmental Modelling and Software 17: 145–157. , , .
- 2004. Guidelines for Use of Climate Scenarios Developed from Statistical Downscaling Methods, Technical report, Data Distribution Centre of the IPCC: http://www.ipcc-data.org/guidelines/index.html. , , , , , .
- 1998. Statistical downscaling of general circulation model output: a comparison of methods. Water Resources Research 34: 2995–3008. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Temperature and precipitation trends in Canada during the 20th century. Atmosphere-Ocean 38: 395–429. , , , .