Phenological data series of cherry tree flowering in Kyoto, Japan, and its application to reconstruction of springtime temperatures since the 9th century
Article first published online: 1 AUG 2007
Copyright © 2007 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 28, Issue 7, pages 905–914, 15 June 2008
How to Cite
Aono, Y. and Kazui, K. (2008), Phenological data series of cherry tree flowering in Kyoto, Japan, and its application to reconstruction of springtime temperatures since the 9th century. Int. J. Climatol., 28: 905–914. doi: 10.1002/joc.1594
- Issue published online: 24 APR 2008
- Article first published online: 1 AUG 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 JUN 2007
- Manuscript Revised: 17 MAY 2007
- Manuscript Received: 23 AUG 2006
- Fukutake Science and Culture Foundation Project for History
- 1998. Climatic change in March temperature deduced from phenological record for flowering of cherry tree in Tokyo since the late 18th century. Bulletin of Osaka Prefecture University, Series B 50: 11–19. .
- 1990. Estimation of blooming date for Prunus yedoensis using DTS combined with chill-unit accumulations. Journal of Agricultural Meteorology 45: 243–249 (in Japanese). , .
- 1993. Variation in the March mean temperature deduced from cherry blossom in Kyoto since the 14th century. Journal of Agricultural Meteorology 48: 635–638. , .
- 1994. Estimation of temperature at Kyoto since 11th century using flowering data of cherry tree in old documents. Journal of Agricultural Meteorology 49: 263–272 (in Japanese). , .
- 1956. Climatic changes as revealed by the blooming dates of the cherry blossoms at Kyoto. Journal of Meteorology 13: 599–600. .
- 1991. Length of the solar cycle: an indicator of solar activity closely associated with climate. Science 254: 698–700. , .
- 2003. Winter half-year temperature reconstruction for the middle and lower reaches of the Yellow River and Yangtze River, China, during the past 2000 years. Holocene 13: 933–940. , , , , , , .
- 2006. The DTS accumulation model for predicting the flowering date of Japanese pear tree in Japan. Acta Horticulturae (ISHS) 707: 151–158. , , , .
- 1998. High-resolution palaeoclimatic records for the last millennium: interpretation, integration and comparison with general circulation model control-run temperatures. Holocene 8: 455–471. , , , .
- 1962. Einige Beiträge zum Stadtklima von Köln. Meteorologische Rundschau 15: 92–99 (in German). .
- 1992. Estimation of climate in little ice age using phenological data in Japan. In Proceedings International Symposium on the Little Ice Age Climate, Tokyo; 52–57. .
- 2004. Solar influence on Indian Ocean Monsoon through dynamic processes. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L24209. .
- 2002. Dynamical response to the solar cycle. Journal of Geophysical Research 107(D24): 4749 Doi:10.1029 2002JD002224. , .
- 1986. Temperature index for characterizing biological activity in soil and its application to decomposition of soil organic matter. Bulletin of the National Institute of Agro-environmental Sciences 1: 51–68 (in Japanese). , .
- 1978. New analysis of eldest and newer phenological series. Archiv Fur Meteorologie Geophysik Und Bioklimatologie Serie B-Klimatologie Umweltmeteorologie Strahlungsforschung 26: 373–385 (in German). .
- 1981. Vom Einfluß der Temperatur auf die Belaubung der Roßkastanie nach den Beobachtungen in Genf seit 1808. Wetter Leben 33: 103–112 (in German). , .
- 1983. Climate of little ice age in Japan. Geographical Reports of Tokyo Metropolitan University 18: 91–111. , .
- 1999. Northern hemisphere temperatures during the past millennium: inferences, uncertainties, and limitations. Geophysical Research Letters 26: 759–762. , , .
- 1926. The Marsham phenological record in Norfolk, 1736–1925. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 22: 27–54. .
- 1979. A proposed method of eliminating urban effects from climatological data obtained at stations in big cities. Journal of Agricultural Meteorology 35: 93–96 (in Japanese). , .
- 1990/1991. Effect of urban warming on blooming of Prunus yedoensis. Energy and Buildings 15–16: 205–212. , .
- 1969. The historical dates of Japanese cherry festival since the 8th century and her climatic changes. Tokyo Geography Papers 13: 175–190 (in Japanese). .
- 2001. Solar forcing of regional climate during the Maunder minimum. Science 294: 2149–2152. , , , , .
- 2004. Unusual activity of the Sun during recent decades compared to the previous 11,000 years. Nature 431: 1084–1087. , , , , .
- 1995. The responses of species to climate over two centuries an analysis of the Marsham phenological record, 1736–1947. Journal of Ecology 83: 321–329. , .
- 1939. Climatic change in historical time in Japan (2). Journal of the Marine Meteorological Society 19: 217–227 (in Japanese). .
- 2003. Cyclic rapid warming on centennial-scale revealed by a 2650-year stalagmite record of warm season temperature. Geophysical Research Letters 30: 1617 Doi:10.1029/2003GL017352. , , , , , .
- 2003. Tropical glacier and ice core evidence of climate change on annual to millennial time scales. Climatic Change 59: 137–155. , , , , , .
- Outline catalogue of the sunspot index, http://sidc.oma.be/html/sunspot.html. [last accessed 2005]. , the SIDC team.
- 2002. Long-term patterns of solar irradiance forcing in model experiments and proxy based surface temperature reconstructions. Climate Dynamics 18: 563–578. , , .
- 1967. Outline of the climate change in Japan. Meteorological Research Note 91: 2–9 (in Japanese). .
- 1971. On the climate change in XV and XVI centuries. Geophysical Magazine 35: 187–206. .