Trends and spatial distribution of annual and seasonal rainfall in Ethiopia
Version of Record online: 5 MAR 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 28, Issue 13, pages 1723–1734, 15 November 2008
How to Cite
Cheung, W. H., Senay, G. B. and Singh, A. (2008), Trends and spatial distribution of annual and seasonal rainfall in Ethiopia. Int. J. Climatol., 28: 1723–1734. doi: 10.1002/joc.1623
- Issue online: 16 OCT 2008
- Version of Record online: 5 MAR 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 11 AUG 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 AUG 2007
- Manuscript Received: 28 DEC 2006
- 2000. Ethiopian Use of ENSO Information in its Seasonal Forecasts. National Meterological Services Agency: Addis Ababa. .
- 1999. The Economic Impacts of AIDS in Ethiopia. Futures Group International: Washington, DC. , , .
- Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). 2006. Ethiopia, The World Factbook, Retrieved July 17, 2006, from https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/et.html.
- 2000. Some aspects of climate variability in the Northeast Ethiopian Highlands—Wollo and Tigray. SINET—Ethiopian Journal of Science 23: 139–161. .
- 2000. Food Security in Ethiopia: A Discussion Paper for Department of International Development. Institute of Development Studies: Sussex. .
- 2000. Observed variability and trends in extreme climate events: a brief review. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 81: 417–425. , , , , , .
- ESRI. 2004. ArcGIS 9. Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI): Redlands, CA.
- 2004. Seasonal forecasting of the Ethiopian summer rains. International Journal of Climatology 24: 1345–1358, DOI: 10.1002/joc.1078. , , , .
- 2000. Geostatistical approaches for incorporating elevation into the Spatial interpolation of rainfall. Journal of Hydrology 228: 1–2. .
- 1990. The changing rainfall resources of Sudan. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 15: 21–34. .
- 1999. On the relevance of nonequilibrium concepts to arid and semiarid grazing systems. Ecological Applications 9: 798–813. , .
- Integrated Regional Information Networks-United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (IRIN). 2003. Ethiopia: Warning of huge food needs by 2007, Addis Ababa, 14 October.
- 1999. The scale issue in social and natural sciences. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing 25: 347–356. .
- 2002. A Preliminary Assessment of Characteristics and Long Term Variability of Rainfall in Ethiopia—Basis for Sustainable Land Use and Resource Management. In Challenges to Organic Farming and Sustainable Land Use in the Tropics and Subtropics, Deutscher Tropentag 2002: Witzenhausen. , .
- 2004. Recent changes in rainfall and rainy days in Ethiopia. International Journal of Climatology 24: 973–983, DOI: 10.1002/joc.1052. , .
- 2003. Characterization of yield reduction in Ethiopia using a GIS-based crop water balance model. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing 29: 687–692. , .
- 1998. The effects of the Southwest Indian Ocean tropical cyclones on Ethiopian drought. International Journal of Climatology 18: 1373–1388. , .
- The Economist Group. 2002. Africa's horn of famine. Economist 365: 16–22.
- United Nations Country Team (UNCT). 2006. Focus on Ethiopia-Oct 2006. Retrieved March 1, 2007 from http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/RWB.NSF/db900SID/STED-6V7TET?OpenDocument.
- U.S. Library of Congress. 2005. Ethiopia, Country Studies Handbook, Retrieved July 17, 2006, from http://countrystudies.us/ethiopia/.
- USGS. 2006. HYDRO 1k Basins data set for Africa, HYDRO 1k Elevation Derivative Database, Retrieved July 17, 2006 from http://edc.usgs.gov/products/elevation/gtopo30/hydro/africa.html.
- 2005. Climate science and famine early warning. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 360: 2155–2168. , , , .
- 2005. Changes in tropical cyclone number, duration, and intensity in a warming environment. Science 309: 1844–1846, DOI: 10.1126/science.1116448. , , , .
- WMO. 1992. International Meteorological Vocabulary, 2nd edn. World Meteorological Organization (WMO): WMO Publication 182: Geneva.
- 2007. Ethiopia country case study: impacts and responses to the 1997–98 El-Nino event, Retrieved March 1, 2007 from http://www.ccb.ucar.edu/un/ethiopia.html. , , .
- Poverty-Environment Partnership 2003. Poverty and Climate Change: Reducing the Vulnerability of the Poor Through Adaptation. World Bank: Washington, DC. http://lnweb18.worldbank.org/ESSD/envext.nsf/46ByDocName/PovertyandClimateChangeReducingtheVulnerabilityofthePoorthroughAdaptation/$FILE/PovertyAndClimate-ChangeReportPart12003.pdf.