Climate, agricultural production and hydrological balance in the North China Plain
Version of Record online: 14 MAR 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 28, Issue 14, pages 1959–1970, 30 November 2008
How to Cite
Wang, E., Yu, Q., Wu, D. and Xia, J. (2008), Climate, agricultural production and hydrological balance in the North China Plain. Int. J. Climatol., 28: 1959–1970. doi: 10.1002/joc.1677
- Issue online: 22 OCT 2008
- Version of Record online: 14 MAR 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 DEC 2007
- Manuscript Revised: 5 AUG 2007
- Manuscript Received: 3 JAN 2007
- CSIRO McMaster Committee
- 1998. Crop Evaporation: Guidelines for Computing Crop Water Requirements, FAO Irrigation and Drainage Paper 56. Rome. , , , .
- 2001. Increasing water use and water use efficiency in dryland wheat. Agronomy Journal 93: 290–298. , .
- 1965. Effect of atmospheric concentration of water vapour and CO2 in determining transpiration-photosynthesis relationships of cotton leaves. Agricultural Meteorology 2: 259–270. , .
- 1958. The Heat Balance of the Earth's Surface. U.S. Department of Commerce: Washington, DC. .
- 2005. Analysis of 40 years of solar radiation data from China 1961–2000. Geophysical Research Letters 32,:DOI:10.1029/2004GL022322,2005. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Evaluation of an empirical equation for annual evaporation using field observations and results from a biophysical model. Journal of Hydrology 216: 99–110. .
- 2003. Water Dynamics in Plant Production. CABI Publishing: Cambridge, MA. , .
- 1999. Natural systems as models for the design of sustainable systems of land use. Agroforestry Systems 45: 1–21. .
- 2004. Towards sustainable groundwater resource use for irrigated agriculture on the North China Plain. GW-Mate Case Profile Collection No 8, World Bank, Washington DC, http://lnweb18.worldbank.org/ESSD/ardext.nsf/18ByDocName/CaseProfileNo8TowardsSustainableGroundwaterResourceUsefor Irrigated/$ FILE/CPC8NorthChinaPlain.pdf. , .
- 1984. Water use efficiency in wheat in a mediterranean type of environment: II. Some limitations to efficiency. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 35: 765–775. , .
- 2006. Spatial and temporal variations and controlling factors of potential evapotranspiration in China: 1956–2000. Journal of Geographical Sciences 16: 3–12. , , , , .
- HammerGL, NichollsN, MitchellC (eds). 2000. Applications of Seasonal Climate Forecasting in Agricultural and Natural Ecosystems, the Australian Experience. Kluwer Academic Publishers: Dordrecht.
- 1987. The Drought Characteristics and Agricultural Development in Huang-Huai-Hai Region. Beijing Agricultural University Press: Beijing, (in Chinese). .
- 1987a. Utilisation of Agro-climatic Resources in Huang-Huai-Hai Region. Beijing Agricultural University Press: Beijing, (in Chinese). , .
- 1987b. Analysis on Agro-climatic Resources in Huang-Huai-Hai Region. Beijing Agricultural University Press: Beijing, (in Chinese). , .
- 1999. Towards achieving functional ecosystem mimicry with respect to water cycling in southern Australian agriculture. Agroforestry Systems 45: 1–3. , .
- 1947. Determination of world plant formations from simple climatic data. Science 105: 367–368. .
- 1967. Life Zone Ecology, Revised Edition. Tropical Science Centre: San José. Costa Rica. .
- 1990. Grain, dry matter yield relationships for winter wheat and grain sorghum—Southern High Plains. Agronomy Journal 82: 914–918. .
- 1978. Natural Conditions and Crop Production: Concept of Agricultural Modernisation—Utilisation of Radiation and Climate Resources. Chinese Academy of Sciences: Beijing. .
- 2003. Crop coefficient and ratio of transpiration to evapotranspiration of winter wheat and maize in a semi-humid region. Agricultural Water Management 59(3): 239–254. , , , .
- 2002. Use of modelling to explore the water balance of dryland farming systems in the Murray-Darling Basin, Australia. European Journal of Agronomy 18: 159–169. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Evapotranspiration and crop water productivity: making sense of the yield-ET relationship. In World Water Congress 2005: Impacts of Global Climate Change, WaltonR (eds). World Water and Environmental Resources Congress 2005: Anchorage, AK. .
- 2003. Policies drain the North China Plain: Agricultural policy and groundwater depletion in Luncheng County, 1949–2000. Research Report 71. International Water Management Institute: Colombo, 45. , , , , .
- 2004. Groundwater recharge from irrigated cropland in the North China Plain: case study of Luancheng County, Hebei Province, 1949–2000. Hydrological Processes 18(12): 2289–2302. , , , , .
- 1999. A simple framework for examining the interannual variability of land surface moisture fluxes. Journal of Climate 12: 1911–1917. , .
- 1999a. Preface. Agroforestry Systems 45(1–3): vii–vix. , , , .
- 1999b. What can agriculture learn from natural ecosystems? Agroforestry Systems 45(1–3): 423–436. , , , .
- 2001. Groundwater exploitation and its impact on the environment in the North China Plain. Water International 26: 265–272. , , .
- 2002. Determination of daily evaporation and evapotranspiration of winter wheat and maize by large-scale weighing lysimeter and micro-lysimeter. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 111(2): 109–120. , , .
- 2005. Observed trends of precipitation amount, frequency, and intensity in China, 1960–2000. Journal of Geophysical Research 110: D08103, DOI:10.1029/2004JD004864. , , , .
- 2005. From oceans to Farms: the value of novel statistical climate forecast for agricultural management. Journal of Climate 18: 4287–4302. , , .
- 1994. Climate, soil water storage, and the average annual water balance. Water Resources Research 30: 2143–2156. .
- 1998. Historical changes in harvest index and crop nitrogen accumulation. Crop Science 38: 638–643. .
- 1984. Water-use efficiency in crop production. Bioscience 34: 36–40. , , .
- State Statistics Bureau. 1999. Statistics Yearbook of China. Statistics Publishing House: Beijing.
- 2004. Effect of human activities on the hydrological environment of the North China Plain in the past 40 years. In Proceedings of the Joint conference of 2nd APHW and 1st AOGS. July 5–8, 2004, Suntec International Convention and Exhibition Center, Singapore, http://www.wrrc.dpri.kyoto-u.ac.jp/∼aphw/APHW2004/APHW2004.html. , , , , , , .
- 1983. Efficient water use in crop production: research or re-search? In Limitations to Efficient Water use in Crop Production, TaylorHM, JordanWR, SinclairTS (eds). American Society of Agronomy, Inc. Crop Science Society of America, Inc. Soil Science Society of America, Inc. Madison: WI, 1–27. , .
- 2000a. Climatic changes in yield index and soil water deficit trends in China. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 102: 71–81. .
- 2000b. Spatial and temporal characteristics of potential evapotranspiration trends over China. International Journal of Climatology 20: 381–389. .
- 1990. Assessment of the productivity of winter wheat and summer maize in Huang-Huai-Hai Region. Chinese Journal of Agrometeorology 11: 41–46, (in Chinese). , .
- 2001. Late-twentieth-century climatology and trends of surface humidity and temperature in China. Journal of Climate 14: 2833–2845. , .
- 1992. Wheat productivity and commercial grain production in Huang-Huai-Hai Region. Chinese Journal of Agrometeorology 13: 10–13, (in Chinese). , , .
- 2004. Estimations of vapour pressure deficit and crop water demand in APSIM and their implications for prediction of crop yield, water use, and deep drainage. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 55(12): 1227–1240. , , , .
- 2006a. Comparison of top-down and bottom-up models for simulation of water balance as affected by seasonality, vegetation type and spatial land use. In Proceedings of the 2006 Summit on Environmental Modelling & Software, Burlington, 9–12 July 2006. , , , .
- 2006b. Response of canopy architecture, yield and water use efficiency of winter wheat to irrigation time. In New Directions for a Diverse Planet: Proceedings for the 4th International Crop Science Congress, FischerT, TurnerN, AngusJ, McIntyreL, RobertsonM, BorrellA, LloydD. Brisbane, 26 September–October 2004, The Regional Institute Ltd: Australia. http://www.cropscience.org.au/icsc2004/poster/1/5/656_wangp.htm. , , , .
- 2002. Development of a generic crop model template in the cropping system model APSIM. European Journal of Agronomy 18(1–2): 121–140. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Quantifying production potentials of winter wheat in the North China Plain. European Journal of Agronomy 24(3): 226–235. , , , .
- 2005. Analysis on groundwater table drawdown by land use and the quest for sustainable water use in the Hebei Plain in China. Agricultural Water Management 75(1): 38–53. , , , .
- 2003. Water scarcity, pricing mechanism and institutional reform in northern China irrigated agriculture. Agricultural Water Management 61: 143–161. , , .
- 2004. Spatio-Temporal variations of principal climatic factors in North China and part of east China in past 40 years. Resource Science 26: 45–50, (in Chinese). , , .
- 1995. Water issues and sustainable social development in China. Water International 20(3): 122–128. , .
- 2001. Response of mean annual evapotranspiration to vegetation changes at catchment scale. Water Resources Research 37: 701–708. , , .
- 1999. Water-yield relations and water-use efficiency of winter wheat in the North China Plain. Irrigation Science 19(1): 37–45. , , , .