Investigating the climatic impact of urban planning strategies through the use of regional climate modelling: a case study for Melbourne, Australia
Article first published online: 19 MAR 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 28, Issue 14, pages 1943–1957, 30 November 2008
How to Cite
Coutts, A. M., Beringer, J. and Tapper, N. J. (2008), Investigating the climatic impact of urban planning strategies through the use of regional climate modelling: a case study for Melbourne, Australia. Int. J. Climatol., 28: 1943–1957. doi: 10.1002/joc.1680
- Issue published online: 22 OCT 2008
- Article first published online: 19 MAR 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 DEC 2007
- Manuscript Revised: 1 DEC 2007
- Manuscript Received: 18 AUG 2006
- 1984. Climatic consciousness–a conscious change in the Australian architectural environment. Energy and Buildings 7: 71–75. .
- 2003. Numerical modeling of Urban heat-island intensity. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 109: 285–310. .
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). 2001. 2001 Census, Australia.
- 1988. Measuring biosphere-atmosphere exchanges of biologically related gases with micrometeorological methods (in special feature: gas exchange in a new dimension). Ecology 69: 1331–1340. , , .
- 2007a. Characteristics influencing the variability of urban CO2 fluxes in Melbourne, Australia. Atmospheric Environment 41: 51–62. , , .
- 2007b. Impact of increasing urban density on local climate: spatial and temporal variations in the surface energy balance in Melbourne, Australia. Journal of Applied Meteorology 46: 477–493. , , .
- 2005. Development and evaluation of an urban parameterization scheme in the Penn State/NCAR Mesoscale Model (MM5). Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 110: 10102. , , , , .
- Department of Sustainability and Environment. 2002. Melbourne 2030: Planning for Sustainable Growth, State of Victoria, 192.
- Department of Sustainability and Environment. 2003. Page 1 of Addendum: Figure of Activity Centers and Principle Public Transport Network 2003 Only, State of Victoria, 2.
- 2004. Simulation of meteorological fields within and above urban and rural canopies with a mesoscale model (MM5). Boundary-Layer Meteorology 113: 111–158. , , .
- 2000. The use of climate knowledge in urban planning. Landscape and Urban Planning 48: 31–44. .
- 2001. Automated classification of planning objectives for the consideration of climate and air quality in urban and regional planning for the example of the region of Basel/Switzerland. Atmospheric Environment 35: 5605–5615. , , .
- Geoscience Australia. 2003. Vegetation–Post-European Settlement, 1988. National Mapping Division.
- 1992. The suburban energy balance: methodological considerations and results for a mid-latitude west coast city under winter and spring conditions. International Journal of Climatology 12: 481–497. .
- 2002. Turbulent heat fluxes in urban areas: observations and a local-scale urban meteorological parameterization scheme (LUMPS). Journal of Applied Meteorology 41: 792–810. , .
- 1991. An objective urban heat-storage model and its comparison with other schemes. Atmospheric Environment Part B-Urban Atmosphere 25: 311–326. , , .
- 2005. CSIRO Atmospheric Research Technical Paper No. 71, 54. .
- 2003. Year-long, high-resolution, urban airshed modeling: verification of TAPM predictions of smog and particles in Melbourne, Australia. Atmospheric Environment 37: 1899–1910. , , , , , .
- IPCC. 2007. Summary for Policymakers. In Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, SolomonS, QinD, ManningM, ChenZ, MarquisM, AverytKB, TignorM, MillerHL (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge and New York.
- 2003. The relationship of urban design to human health and condition. Landscape and Urban Planning 64: 191–200. .
- 2005. Inclusion of urban landscape in a climate model–How can satellite data help? Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 86: 681–689. , .
- 2004. Coupling a single-layer urban canopy model with a simple atmospheric model: impact on urban heat island simulation for an idealized case. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 82: 67–80. , .
- 2004. Modeling the surface energy balance of the core of an old Mediterranean city: Marseille. Journal of Applied Meteorology 43: 312–327. , , .
- 2002. An urban surface exchange parameterisation for mesoscale models. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 104: 261–304. , , .
- 2000. A physically-based scheme for the urban energy budget in atmospheric models. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 94: 357–397. .
- 2002. Evaluation of the Town Energy Balance (TEB) scheme with direct measurements from dry districts in two cities. Journal of Applied Meteorology 41: 1011–1026. , , .
- 2005. Progress toward sustainable settlements: a role for urban climatology. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 84: 69–76. .
- 2001. Journal of environmental modeling and software. Modeling the Urban Water Cycle 16: 615–629. , , .
- 2000. Associations between varying magnitudes of the urban heat island and the synoptic climatology in Melbourne, Australia. International Journal of Climatology 20: 1931–1954. , .
- 2001. Quantification of the influences of wind and cloud on the nocturnal urban heat island of a large city. Journal of Applied Meteorology 40: 169–182. , , .
- 1984. Towards a prescription for the greater use of climatic principles in settlement planning. Energy and Buildings 7: 1–10. .
- 1988. The Urban energy balance. Progress in Physical Geography 12: 471–508. .
- 2005. Towards better scientific communication in urban climate. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 84: 179–190. .
- 2005. Modeling the environmental impacts of urban land use and land cover change–a study in Merseyside, UK. Landscape and Urban Planning 71: 295–310. , , .
- 1999. Changes in climate extremes over the Australian region and New Zealand during the twentieth century. Climatic Change 42: 183–202. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. The new BMRC limited area prediction system, LAPS. Australian Meteorological Magazine 47: 203–223. , , , , , .
- 1959. Mortality associated with heat wave conditions in the Melbourne metropolitan area, January and February, 1959. Australian Meteorological Magazine 26: 96–98. .
- 2003. Heat Wave Hazards: an overview of heat Wave impacts in Canada. Natural Hazards 28: 463–485. , , .
- 2006. Where does all the energy go? Surface energy partitioning in suburban Christchurch under stable wintertime conditions. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 84: 137–150. , , .
- 2005. Urban heat and air pollution–an emerging role for planners in the climate change debate. Journal of the American Planning Association 71: 13–25. .
- 2001. Estimation of effective thermal property parameter on a heterogeneous Urban surface. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 79: 1169–1181. , , .
- 1999. Modifying a mesoscale meteorological model to better incorporate urban heat storage: A bulk-parameterization approach. Journal of Applied Meteorology 38: 466. .
- 2001. Urban heat island features of southeast Australian towns. Australian Meteorological Magazine 50: 1–13. , , , .
- 1981. On the validation of models. Physical Geography 2: 184–194. .
- 2002. Simple modifications to improve fifth-generation Pennsylvania State University-National Center for Atmospheric Research Mesoscale Model performance for the Phoenix, Arizona, metropolitan area. Journal of Applied Meteorology 41: 971–979. .