The North Atlantic Oscillation and European vegetation dynamics
Article first published online: 27 FEB 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 28, Issue 14, pages 1835–1847, 30 November 2008
How to Cite
Gouveia, C., Trigo, R. M., DaCamara, C. C., Libonati, R. and Pereira, J. M. C. (2008), The North Atlantic Oscillation and European vegetation dynamics. Int. J. Climatol., 28: 1835–1847. doi: 10.1002/joc.1682
- Issue published online: 22 OCT 2008
- Article first published online: 27 FEB 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 DEC 2007
- Manuscript Revised: 15 NOV 2007
- Manuscript Received: 19 JUL 2007
- 1984. Estimating absorbed photosynthetic radiation and leaf area index from spectral reflectance in wheat. Agronomy Journal 76: 300–306. , , , .
- 1987. Classification, seasonality and persistence of low-frequency atmospheric circulation patterns. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1083–1126. , .
- 2002. North Atlantic Oscillation signatures in ecosystems—a meta-analysis. Global Change Biology 8: 203–212. , .
- 2002. Evidence for a persistent and extensive greening trend in Eurasia inferred from satellite vegetation index data. Journal of Geophysical Research 107: 4119, DOI: 10.1029/2001JD00107. , , , , .
- 2006. Evaluation of the consistency of long-term NDVI time series derived from AVHRR, SPOT-Vegetation, SeaWIFS, MODIS and LandSAT ETM+. IEEE Transactions Geoscience and Remote Sensing 44: 1787–1793, DOI 10.1109/TGRS.2005.860205. , , , , .
- 2003. Interannual covariability in Northern Hemisphere air temperatures and greenness associated with El Niño-southern oscillation and the Arctic Oscillation. Journal of Geophysical Research 108: 4396, DOI:10.1029/2002JD002. , , , , , , .
- 2002. NAO and winter temperature variability in southern Europe. Geophysical Research Letters 29: 1160, DOI:.10.1029/2001GL014042. , , , .
- 2004. Statistical simulation of the influence of the NAO on European winter surface temperatures: Applications to phenological modeling. Journal of Geophysical Research 109: D16106, DOI:10.1029/2003JD004305. , , , .
- 2002. Changing seasons: an effect of the North Atlantic Oscillation? Journal of Climate 15: 435–445. , , .
- 1994. Modeling relationships between NDVI and precipitation during vegetation growth cycles. International Journal of Remote Sensing 15: 2121–2136. , , .
- 2002. Spectral characteristics and predictability of the NAO assessed through Singular Analysis. Journal of Geophysical Research 107: 4685, DOI: 10.1029/2001JD001436. , , , , .
- 2008. In Influence of Climate Variability on Wheat Production in Portugal, geoENV VI—Geostatistics for Environmental Applications, Series: Quantitative Geology and Geostatistics, Vol. 15, SoaresA, PereiraMJ, DimitrakopoulosR (eds); 506, ISBN: 978-1-4020-6447-0 Springer-Verlag: Berlin Heidelberg, New York (in press). , .
- 1994. Observed impact of snow cover on the heat balance and the rise of continental spring temperatures. Science 263: 198–200. , , .
- 1999. GISS analysis of surface temperature change. Journal of Geophysical Research 104: 30997–31022. , , , .
- 1995. Decadal trends in the north Atlantic oscillation: regional temperatures and precipitation. Science 269: 676–679. .
- 2003. Assessing vegetation response to drought in the northern Great Plains using vegetation and drought indices. Remote Sensing of Environment 87: 85–98. , .
- 1997. Extension to the North Atlantic Oscillation using instrumental pressure observations from Gibraltar and south-west Iceland. International Journal of Climatology 17: 1433–1450. , , .
- 2006. Changes in land surface temperatures and NDVI values over Europe between 1982 and 1999. Remote Sensing of Environment 103: 43–55. , , .
- 2000. Effect of orbital drift and sensor changes on the time series of AVHRR vegetation index data. IEEE Transactions Geoscience and Remote Sensing 38: 2584–2597. , , , , , .
- 2002. Reply to Comment on 'Variations in northern vegetation activity inferred from satellite data of vegetation index during 1981–1999 by J.R. Ahlbeck. Journal of Geophysical Research 107: 4127 10.1029/2001JD001516. , , , , , .
- 1996. Increased activity of northern vegetation inferred from atmospheric CO2 measurements. Nature 382: 146–149. , , .
- 1998. Estimation of the ratio of sensor degradation between NOAA-AVHRR channels 1 and 2 from monthly NDVI composites. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 36: 206–213. .
- 2003. Land cover mapping in support of LAI/FPAR retrievals from EOS-MODIS and MISR: classification methods and sensitivities to errors. International Journal of Remote Sensing 24: 1997–2016. , , , .
- 2003. Plant phenological anomalies in Germany and their relation to air temperature and NAO. Climatic Change 57: 243–263. .
- 1995. The interpretation of spectral vegetation indexes. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 33: 481–496. , , , .
- 1997. Increase plant growth in the northern high latitudes from 1981–1991. Nature 386: 698–702. , , , , .
- 2001. A study of NAO variability and its possible non-linear influences on European surface temperature. Climate Dynamics 17: 701–715. , , , .
- 2000. Is the North Atlantic oscillation the most important atmospheric pattern for precipitation in Europe? Journal of Geophysical Research 105: 901–910. , , .
- 1997. Variations in seasonal rainfall in Southern Europe during the present century: relationships with the North Atlantic Oscillation and the El Niño-Southern Oscillation. Climate Dynamics 13: 275–284. , , .
- 2002. On the connection between winter anomalous precipitation in the Iberian Peninsula and North West Africa and the Summer subtropical Atlantic sea surface temperature. Geophysical Research Letters 29: 1863, DOI: 1029/2001GL014421. , .
- 1998. Spatial and temporal patterns of annual precipitation variability over the Iberian Peninsula. International Journal of Climatology 18: 299–316. , , , .
- 1984. The association between the North Atlantic Oscillation and the Southern Oscillation in the Northern Hemisphere. Monthly Weather Review 112: 1999–2015. .
- 2005. Calculation of gridded precipitation data for the global land-surface using in-situ gauge observations. Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop of the International Precipitation Working Group IPWG, Monterey, October 2004, EUMETSAT, ISBN 92-9110-070-6, ISSN 1727-432X, 231–247. , .
- 2001. Interpretation of interannual winter temperature variations over southwestern Europe. Journal of Geophysical Research 106: 20 641–20 651. , , , .
- 1997. Icelandic Low cyclone activity: climatological features, linkages with the NAO, and relationships with recent changes in the Northern Hemisphere circulation. Journal of Climate 10: 453–464. , , , .
- 2002. Analysis of Interannual Changes in Northern Vegetation Activity Observed in AVHRR Data during 1981 to 1994. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 40: 115–130. , , , .
- 2004. European plant phenology and climate as seen in a 20-year AVHRR land-surface parameter dataset. International Journal of Remote Sensing 25: 3303–3330. , .
- 1992. Atmospheric Correction Algorithms for NOAA-AVHRR products: theory and application. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 30: 231–248. , , .
- 2006. Climatology and Interannual Variability of Storm-Tracks in the Euro-Atlantic sector: a comparison between ERA-40 and NCEP/NCAR Reanalyses. Climate Dynamics 26: 127–143. .
- 2002. The North Atlantic Oscillation influence on Europe: climate impacts and associated physical mechanisms. Climate Research 20: 9–17. , , .
- 2004. North Atlantic Oscillation influence on precipitation, river flow and water resources in the Iberian Peninsula. International Journal of Climatology 24: 925–944. , , , , , .
- 1978. The seesaw in winter temperatures between Greenland and Northern Europe. Part I: general description. Monthly Weather Review 106: 296–310. , .
- 2004. NAO influence on NDVI trends in the Iberian Peninsula (1982–2000). International Journal of Remote Sensing 25: 2871–2879. , .
- 1999. Global warming and Northern Hemisphere sea ice extent. Science 286: 1934–1937. , , , , , , , , .
- 1924. Correlations in seasonal variations of weather. IX Memoirs of the Indian Meteorological Department 24: 275–332. .
- 2004. Delayed impact of the North Atlantic Oscillation on Biosphere Productivity in Asia. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L12210, DOI: 10.1029/2004GL019766. , .
- 2003. Temporal responses of NDVI to precipitation and temperature in the central Great Plains, USA. International Journal of Remote Sensing 24: 2345–2364. , , .
- 2001. Variations in northern vegetation activity inferred from satellite data of vegetation index during 1981 to 1999. Journal of Geophysical Research 106: 20069–20083. , , , , , .