Tree-ring based drought reconstruction in the central Hengduan Mountains region (China) since A.D. 1655
Article first published online: 29 FEB 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 28, Issue 14, pages 1879–1887, 30 November 2008
How to Cite
Fan, Z.-X., Bräuning, A. and Cao, K.-F. (2008), Tree-ring based drought reconstruction in the central Hengduan Mountains region (China) since A.D. 1655. Int. J. Climatol., 28: 1879–1887. doi: 10.1002/joc.1689
- Issue published online: 22 OCT 2008
- Article first published online: 29 FEB 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 JAN 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 6 DEC 2007
- Manuscript Received: 5 JUN 2007
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Number: 90302013
- 2007. Advancing treeline and retreating glaciers: implications for conservation in Yunnan, P.R. China. Arctic Antarctic and Alpine Research 39(2): 200–209. , .
- 2004. DENDROCLIM2002: A C + + program for statistical calibration of climate signals in tree-ring chronologies. Computers & Geosciences 30(3): 303–311. , .
- 1984. Response functions revisited. Tree-Ring Bulletin 44: 1–15. , , .
- 2005. Environmental change modelling for Central and High Asia: pleistocene, present and future scenarios. Boreas 34: 220–231. , .
- 1994. Dendrochronology for the last 1400 years in Eastern Tibet. GeoJournal 34(1): 75–95. .
- 1999. Dendroclimatological potential of drought-sensitive tree stands in Southern Tibet for the reconstruction of the monsoonal activity. IAWA Journal 20(3): 325–338. .
- 2001. Climate history of the Tibetan Plateau during the last 1000 years derived from a network of Juniper chronologies. Dendrochronologia 19(1): 127–137. .
- 2004. Summer temperature and summer monsoon history on the Tibetan plateau during the last 400 years recorded by tree rings. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L24205, Doi: 10.1029/2004GL020793. , .
- 2006. Late Holocene variations in monsoon intensity in the Tibetan–Himalayan region-evidence from tree rings. Journal of the Geological Society of India 69(3): 485–494. , .
- 1981. The vegetation zonation of the Tibetan Plateau. Mountain Research and Development 1(1): 29–48. .
- 1997. Interaction between the ENSO and the Asian monsoon in a coral record of tropical climate. Science 277: 925–928. , , .
- 1985. A time-series analysis approach to tree-ring standardization, PhD dissertation, The University of Arizona Press, Tucson. .
- 1990. Methods of Dendrochronology. Kluwer Academic Press: Netherlands. , .
- 1997. Calculating unbiased tree-ring indices for the study of climatic and environmental change. The Holocene 7: 361–370. , .
- 2004. A global dataset of Palmer Drought Severity Index for 1870–2002: relationship with soil moisture and effects of surface warming. Journal of Hydrometeorology 5: 1117–1130. , , .
- 2003. On the problem of possible last-glacial forest-refuge-areas within the deep valleys of Eastern Tibet. Erdkunde 57: 182–198. , , .
- 1976. Tree Rings and Climate. Academic Press: London. .
- 2006. A comparison of tree-ring records and glacier variations over the past 700 years, northeastern Tibetan Plateau. Annals of Glaciology 43: 86–90. , , , , , .
- 2002. Climate history of the Tibetan Plateau for the last 1500 years as inferred from stable isotopes in tree rings. In Proceeding of the International Conference on the Study of Environmental Change Using Isotope Techniques, IAEA CN–80–80, Vienna 22–27–04–2001, 301–311. , , .
- 1994. Recent and future climatic change in East Asia. International Journal of Climatology 14: 637–658. , , .
- 1996. Calculating regional climatic time series for temperature and precipitation: methods and illustrations. International Journal of Climatology 16: 361–377. , .
- 2006. Unstable ENSO relationship with Indian regional rainfall. International Journal of Climatology 26: 771–783. .
- 2001. Dendroclimatic analyses using Thornthwaite–Mather–Type evapotranspiration models: a bridge between dendroecology and forest simulation models. Tree-Ring Research 57(1): 55–66. , .
- 2006. Drought reconstruction for north central China from tree rings: the value of the Palmer drought severity index. International Journal of Climatology 27: 903–909. , , , , .
- 2006. The 1920s drought recorded by tree rings and historical documents in the semi-arid and arid area of Northern China. Climatic Change 79: 403–432. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Robust estimation of background noise and signal detection in climatic time series. Climatic Change 33: 409–445. , .
- 1993. South Asian summer monsoon variability in a model with doubled atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration. Science 260: 1101–1104. , .
- 1987. Cross–validation in statistical climate forecast models. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 26: 1589–1600. .
- 1987. Effects of the Tibetan Plateau. In Monsoon Meteorology, Vol. 7, ChangC-P, KrishnamurtiTN (eds). Oxford University Press: New York; 235–270. .
- 1997. Adjusting variance for sample size in tree-ring chronologies and other regional mean timeseries. Dendrochronologia 15: 89–99. , , .
- 1965. Meteorological Drought. Weather Bureau Res. Paper 45. U.S. Department of Commerce: Washington, DC; 58. .
- 2001. Hydrometeorological reconstructions for Northeastern Mongolia derived from tree rings: 1651–1995. Journal of Climate 14: 872–881. , , , , .
- 1986. Rotation of principal components. Journal of Climate 6: 293–335. .
- 1996. TSAPWin: Time series analysis and presentation for dendrochronology and related applications. Version 0.55 User reference, Heidelberg, 76. .
- 2005. Reconstruction of precipitation variation from tree rings in recent 1000 years in Delingha, Qinghai. Science in China (Series D) 48(7): 939–949. , , , , , .
- 2004. Annual precipitation since 515 BC reconstructed from living and fossil juniper growth of northeastern Qinghai Province, China. Climate Dynamics 23: 869–881. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Tree-ring-based hydrological records for western Himalaya, India, since A.D. 1560. Climate Dynamics 26: 295–303. , , .
- 1968. An Introduction to Tree-Ring Dating. The University of Chicago Press: Chicago, London; 73. , .
- The Editing Committee of “The annals of Deqin County”. 1997. The Annals of Deqin County. Yunnan Nationality Press: Kunming; 68, (In Chinese).
- 1998. Monsoons: processes, predictability, and the prospects for prediction. Journal of Geophysical Research 103(C7): 14,451–14,510. , , , , , , .
- 1984. On the average value of correlated time series, with applications in dendroclimatology and hydrometeorology. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 23: 201–213. , , .
- 1991. Tree-ring width and climatic change in China. Quaternary Science Reviews 10: 545–549. , .
- 1988. A preliminary study on the climatic change of the Hengduan Mountains area since 1600 A.D. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 5(4): 437–443. , , .
- 2003. The water vapor transport model at the regional boundary during the Meiyu Period. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 20: 333–342. , , , .
- 2000. ENSO events recorded in the Guliya ice core. Climatic Change 47: 401–409. , , , .
- 2003. A 2,326-year tree-ring record of climate variability on the northeastern Qinghai–Tibetan Plateau. Geophysical Research Letters 30(14): 1739, Doi: 10.1029/2003GL017425. , , , , .