Air temperature impacts over Eastern North America and Europe associated with low-frequency North Atlantic SST variability
Version of Record online: 10 APR 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 29, Issue 1, pages 1–10, January 2009
How to Cite
Arguez, A., O'Brien, J. J. and Smith, S. R. (2009), Air temperature impacts over Eastern North America and Europe associated with low-frequency North Atlantic SST variability. Int. J. Climatol., 29: 1–10. doi: 10.1002/joc.1700
- Issue online: 12 DEC 2008
- Version of Record online: 10 APR 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 FEB 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 21 FEB 2008
- Manuscript Received: 9 OCT 2007
- 1997. Documentation of a highly ENSO-related SST region in the equatorial Pacific. Atmosphere-Ocean 35: 367–383. , , .
- 2000. An interpretation of the results from atmospheric general circulation models forced by the time history of the observed sea surface temperature distribution. Geophysical Research Letters 27: 767–770. , .
- 2005. The NAO, the AO, and global warming: how closely related? Journal of Climate 18: 4498–4513. , .
- 2005. Multidecadal north Atlantic climate variability and its effects on north American salmon abundance. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L23703, Doi:10.1029/2005GL024238. , , , .
- 2002. Observed impact of Atlantic SST anomalies on the North Atlantic Oscillation. Journal of Climate 15: 606–623. , .
- 1996. North Atlantic interannual variability in a coupled ocean-atmosphere model. Journal of Climate 9: 2356–2375. .
- 1993. Interdecadal variations of the thermohaline circulation in a coupled ocean-atmosphere model. Journal of Climate 6: 1993–2011. , , .
- 1993. Surface climate variations over the North Atlantic Ocean during winter: 1900–1989. Journal of Climate 6: 1743–1753. , .
- 2001. The Atlantic multidecadal oscillation and its relation to rainfall and river flows in the continental U.S. Geophysical Research Letters 28: 2077–2080. , , .
- 1999. Beyond El Niño: Decadal and Interdecadal Climate Variability- Largescale Modes of Ocean Surface Temperature Since the Late Nineteenth Century. Springer-Verlag: Berlin. , , , .
- 2000. Decadal air-sea interaction in the North Atlantic based on observations and modeling results. Journal of Climate 13: 1195–1219. .
- 1995. Decadal trends in the North Atlantic Oscillation and relationships to regional temperature and precipitation. Science 269: 676–679. .
- 2003. The North Atlantic Oscillation: Climate Significance and Environmental Impact. American Geophysical Union: Washington, DC. , , , .
- 2005. The glacial North Atlantic Oscillation. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L21803, Doi:10.1029/ 2005GL023822. , .
- 2003. Feedbacks affecting the response of the thermohaline circulation to increasing CO2: a study with a model of intermediate complexity. Climate Dynamics 21: 119–130. , , .
- 2000. A North Atlantic climate pacemaker for the centuries. Science 288: 1984–1986. .
- 2001. On the evolution of the annual cycle in the tropical Pacific. Journal of Climate 14: 991–994. , .
- 2006. Climate impacts of the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation. Geophysical Research Letters 33: L17706, Doi:10.1029/2006GL026242. , , .
- 1994. Interdecadal variations in North Atlantic sea surface temperature and associated atmospheric conditions. Journal of Climate 7: 141–157. .
- 2002. Atmospheric GCM response to extratropical SS anomalies: synthesis and evaluation. Journal of Climate 15: 2233–2256. , , , , , .
- 1983. Statistical field significance and it determination by Monte Carlo techniques. Monthly Weather Review 111: 46–59. , .
- 2007. Estimation and Extrapolation of Climate Normals and Climatic Trends. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 46: 1759–1776. , , , , .
- 2006. Atlantic hurricane trends linked to climate change. EOS: Transactions-American Geophysical Union 87: 233–244. , .
- 2006. Multidecadal climate variability of global lands and oceans. International Journal of Climatology 26: 849–865. , .
- 2000. Oceanic influence on the North Atlantic Oscillation and associated Northern Hemisphere climate variations: 1959–1993. Geophysical Research Letters 27: 121–124. , , , .
- 1999. Rotated global modes of non-ENSO sea surface temperature variability. Journal of Climate 12: 2734–2746. , .
- 1999. Multi- and quasi-decadal variations of sea surface temperature in the North Atlantic. Journal of Physical Oceanography 29: 3133–3144. , , , .
- 1997. An overview of the global historical climatology network temperature database. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 2837–2849. , .
- 1986. Rotation of principal components. Journal of Climatology 6: 293–335. .
- 1999. Oceanic forcing of the wintertime North Atlantic Oscillation and European climate. Nature 398: 320–323. , , .
- 1979. The seesaw in winter temperatures between Greenland and Norther Europe. Part II: some oceanic and atmospheric effects in middle and high latitudes. Monthly Weather Review 107: 509–519. , .
- Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research (SCOR). 1983. Prediction of El Niño. In Proceedings No. 19, Paris. Annex VI, SCOR WG 55, 47–51.
- 2000. Causes of Atlantic Ocean climate variability between 1958 and 1998. Journal of Climate 13: 2845–2862. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Ocean Circulation and Climate: Observing and Modelling the Glocal Ocean. Academic Press: London. , , .
- 2003. Extended reconstruction of global sea surface temperatures based on COADS Data (1854–1997). Journal of Climate 16: 1495–1510. , .
- 2005. Atlantic ocean forcing of North American and European summer climate. Science 309: 115–118. , .
- 2007. Climate response to basin-scale warming and cooling of the North Atlantic ocean. Journal of Climate 20: 891–907. , .
- 1998. The Arctic Oscillation signature in the wintertime geopotential height and temperature fields. Geophysical Research Letters 25: 1297–1300. , .
- 1999. Dominant patterns of climate variability in the Atlantic ocean during the last 136 years. Journal of Climate 12: 2285–2299. , , .
- 1980. The Northern Hemisphere sea level pressure data set: Trends, errors and discontinuities. Monthly Weather Review 108: 855–872. , .
- 2006. Atlantic hurricanes and natural variability in 2005. Geophysical Research Letters 33: L12704, Doi:10.1029/2006GL026894. , .
- 1999. Statistical Analysis in Climate Research. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. , .
- 2000. North Atlantic Oscillation/Northern Hemisphere annular mode: One Phenomenon, two paradigms. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 126: 791–805. .
- 2002. Annular modes and climate prediction. Physics Today 55: 28–33. , .
- 2005. Winter Northern Hemisphere surface air temperature variability associated with the Arctic Oscillation and North Atlantic Oscillation. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L16706, Doi:10.1029/2005GL022952. , , , .
- 2000. Atmosphere-ocean thermal coupling in the North Atlantic: a positive feedback. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 126: 3343–3369. , .
- 1995. Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences. Academic Press: San Diego, CA. .
- 2002. Oceanic influence on North Atlantic climate variability. Journal of Climate 15: 1911–1925. , .