Variability in sea-surface temperature and winds in the tropical south-east Atlantic Ocean and regional rainfall relationships
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 29, Issue 1, pages 11–21, January 2009
How to Cite
Hermes, J. C. and Reason, C. J. C. (2009), Variability in sea-surface temperature and winds in the tropical south-east Atlantic Ocean and regional rainfall relationships. Int. J. Climatol., 29: 11–21. doi: 10.1002/joc.1711
- Issue online: 12 DEC 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 MAR 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 6 MAR 2008
- Manuscript Received: 11 AUG 2007
- 2001. An overview of the living marine resources of Namibia. South African Journal of Marine Science-Suid-Afrikaanse Tydskrif Vir Seewetenskap 23: 5–35. , .
- 2001. Changes in abundance of the northern Benguela sardine stock during the decade 1990–2000, with comments on the relative importance of fishing and the environment. South African Journal of Marine Science-Suid-Afrikaanse Tydskrif Vir Seewetenskap 23: 76–84. , , , .
- 2006. An analysis of variability in the South Atlantic. PhD thesis. University of Cape Town, South Africa, 196. .
- 2006. A model study of the Angola Benguela Frontal Zone—sensitivity to atmospheric forcing. Geophysical Research Letters 33: L19608, 10.1029/2006GL027463. , .
- 2004. South Atlantic response to ENSO induced climate variability in an OGCM. Journal of Geophysical Research 109: C12015, Doi 10.1029/2004JC002301. , , .
- 2004. Wet and dry spells within particular wet and dry summers in the South African summer rainfall region. Climate Research 26: 17–31. , , .
- 1993. Water vapour transport over southern Africa during wet and dry early and late summer months. International Journal of Climatology 13: 151–170. , .
- 1998. A flexible band pass filter design procedure applied to midlatitude intraseasonal variability. Monthly Weather Review 126: 3326–3335. , .
- 2003. The source of Benguela Niños in the South Atlantic Ocean. Geophysical Research Letters 30: 12-1–12-4. , , , , .
- 2004. Evolution of interannual warm and cold events in the south-east Atlantic Ocean. Journal of Climate 17: 2318–2334. , , , , .
- 2004. The 30–70 day oscillations in the Atlantic. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L15205, Doi: 10.1029/2004GL020023. , .
- 1983. Atmosphere-ocean mechanisms of climate anomalies in the Angola-tropical Atlantic sector. Journal of Physical Oceanography 13: 1146–1157. , .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , et al.
- 1998. The Tropical Rainfall Measuring Mission (TRMM) sensor package. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 15: 809–817. , , , , .
- 1996. Composite intraseasonal oscillations of convection over southern Africa. Journal of Climate 9: 1910–1920. , .
- 1993. An Introduction to wavelet analysis in oceanography and meteorology: with application to the dispersion of Yanai waves. Monthly Weather Review 121: 2858–2866. , , .
- 2001. The hydrography and dynamics of the Angola-Benguela Frontal Zone and environment in April 1999. South African Journal of Science 97: 199–208. , , .
- 2007. The influence of the Madden Julian oscillation on southern African summer rainfall. Journal of Climate 11: 2659–2674. , , .
- 2005. A model investigation of recent ENSO impacts over southern Africa. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 89: 181–205, Special Issue on Regional Climate, DOI 10.1007/s00703-005-0128-9. , .
- 2006. Sea surface temperature variability in the tropical southeast Atlantic Ocean and West African rainfall. Geophysical Research Letters 33: L21705, 10.1029/2006GL027145. , .
- 2005. Interannual variability in rainy season characteristics over the Limpopo region of southern Africa. International Journal of Climatology 25: 1835–1853. , , .
- 2006. Seasonal to decadal prediction of southern African climate and its links with variability of the Atlantic Ocean,. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 87: 941–955. , , .
- 2004. Variability in satellite winds over the Benguela upwelling system during 1999–2000. Journal of Geophysical Research 109(C3): C03010, Doi10.1029/2003JC001880. , , , .
- 2003. South East Atlantic warm events and southern African rainfall. Geophysical Research Letters 30: 8009, Doi:10.1029/2003GL014840. , , , .
- 2005. The Tropical Atlantic Climate Experiment. World Climate Research Programme CLIVAR report, Geneva, 47. , , , , , , .
- 1986. On the existence of an El Niño-type phenomenon in the Benguela system. Journal of Marine Science 44: 495–520. , , , .
- 2005. The interannual variability of the onset of the maize growing season over South Africa and Zimbabwe. Journal of Climate 18: 3356–3372. , , .
- 1998. A practical guide to wavelet analysis. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 79: 61–78. , .
- 2004. Dry spell frequencies and their variability over southern Africa. Climate Research 26: 199–211. , .
- 2006. Seasonal and interannual fluctuations of the Angola Benguela Frontal Zone (ABFZ) using 4.5 km resolution satellite imagery from 1982 to 1999. International Journal of Remote Sensing 27(5–6): 987–998. , , .
- 1998. High- and low-frequency intraseasonal variance of OLR on annual and ENSO timescales. Journal of Climate 11: 968–986. , , , .
- 1990. Synoptic climatology of transient tropical intraseasonal convection anomalies. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 44: 43–61. , .
- 1994. Wavelets, period doubling, and time–frequency localization with application to organization of convection over the tropical western Pacific. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 51: 2523–2541. , .
- 1997. Global precipitation: a 17 year monthly analysis based on gauge observations, satellite estimates and numerical model outputs. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 2539–2558. , .