An analysis of late twentieth century trends in Australian rainfall
Version of Record online: 21 JUL 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 29, Issue 6, pages 791–807, May 2009
How to Cite
Taschetto, A. S. and England, M. H. (2009), An analysis of late twentieth century trends in Australian rainfall. Int. J. Climatol., 29: 791–807. doi: 10.1002/joc.1736
- Issue online: 20 APR 2009
- Version of Record online: 21 JUL 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 22 MAY 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 MAY 2008
- Manuscript Received: 8 AUG 2007
- 2007. Trends in Australia's climate means and extremes: a global context. Australian Meteorological Magazine 56(1): 1–18. , , , , , .
- 1993. Circulation features associated with the winter rainfall decrease in southwestern Australia. Journal of Climate 6: 1356–1367. , .
- 2000. Variability in the tropical southeast Indian Ocean and links with southeast Australian winter rainfall. Geophysical Research Letters 27: 3977–3980. , , .
- 2002. Interdecadal modulation of Australian rainfall. Climate Dynamics 18: 519–531. , , .
- 2007. El Niño Modoki and its possible teleconnection. Journal of Geophysical Research 112: C11007, DOI:10.1029/2006JC003798. , , , , .
- 2004. Decadal variability of the Indian Ocean Dipole. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L24207, DOI:10.1029/2004GL021345. , , , .
- 2001. Impact of the Indian Ocean dipole on the relationship between Indian monsoon rainfall and ENSO. Geophysical Research Letters 28: 4499–4502. , , .
- 2003. Influence of the Indian Ocean dipole on the Australian winter rainfall. Geophysical Research Letters 30: 1821, DOI:10.1029/2003GL017926. , , .
- 2005. Long-term variations in winter rainfall of southwest Australia and the African monsoon. Australian Meteorological Magazine 54: 91–102. .
- 1998. The relationship between tropical cyclones near Western Australia and the Southern Oscillation Index. Australian Meteorological Magazine 47: 183–189. , .
- 1993. An analysis of Australian seasonal rainfall anomalies: 1950–1987. II: temporal variability and teleconnection patterns. International Journal of Climatology 13: 111–149. .
- 1991. The Southern Oscillation in the Australian region. Part I: Anomalies at the extremes of the oscillation. Journal of Climate 4: 619–638. , .
- 2006. Interannual rainfall extremes over Southwest Western Australia linked to Indian Ocean climate variability. Journal of Climate 19: 1948–1969. , , .
- 2006. Increasing trend of extreme rain events over India in a warming environment. Science 314: 1442–1445. , , , , .
- 1999. Changes in the probability of heavy precipitation: Important indicators of climate change. Climatic Change 42: 243–283. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Synchronous variability in the Southern Hemisphere atmosphere, sea ice, and ocean resulting from the annular mode. Journal of Climate 15: 3043–3057. , .
- 2007. Australian rainfall and surface temperature variations associated with the Southern Hemisphere annular mode. Journal of Climate 20: 2452–2467. , , .
- 1997. Changes in daily precipitation under enhanced greenhouse conditions. Climate Dynamics 13: 667–680. , , .
- 2006. Shifts in the synoptic systems influencing southwest Western Australia. Climate Dynamics 26: 751–764. , , .
- IOCI. 2002. Climate variability and change in southwest Western Australia. Technical report, Indian Ocean Climate Initiative Panel, Perth, 34.
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. ENSO modulation of the interannual and intraseasonal variability of the East Asian monsoon—a model study. Journal of Climate 19: 4508–4530. , .
- 1997. The role of large-scale atmospheric circulation in relationship between tropical convection and sea surface temperatures. Journal of Climate 10: 318–392. , , .
- 1992. A historical rainfall data set for Australia. Australian Meteorological Magazine 40: 33–39. , , .
- 2005. Statistical modeling of extreme rainfall in the southwest of Western Australia. Journal of Climate 18: 852–863. , , .
- 2003. A theory for the Indian Ocean dipole-zonal mode. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 60: 2119–2135. , , , .
- 2008. Regional climate response to late twentieth century warming over the Indian Ocean. submitted to Journal of Climate. , , .
- 2003. Trends in the Southern Annular Mode from observational and reanalyses. Journal of Climate 16: 4134–4143. .
- 1983. Seasonal relationships between Australian rainfall and the Southern Oscillation. Monthly Weather Review 111: 1998–2004. , .
- 2006. Association between Australian rainfall and the Southern Annular Mode. International Journal of Climatology 27(1): 109–121. , , .
- 1980. The contribution of tropical cyclones to the rainfall of tropical Western Australia. Singapore Journal of Tropical Geography 1(1): 46–54. .
- 2007. Recent climate variability and climate change in Southern Australia. International Journal of Climatology 28(7): 859–879. , .
- 1989. Sea surface temperatures and Australian winter rainfall. Journal of Climate 2: 965–973. .
- 2006. Detecting and attributing Australian climate change: a review. Australian Meteorological Magazine 55: 199–211. .
- 1996. Recent changes in relationships between the El Niño Southern Oscillation and Australian rainfall and temperature. Geophysical Research Letters 23: 3357–3360. , , , , .
- 2004. The impact of land cover change on the climate of south west Western Australia. Journal of Geophysical Research 109: D18109, DOI:10.1029/2003JD004347. , , , .
- 1999. Interdecadal modulation of the impact of ENSO on Australia. Climate Dynamics 15: 319–324. , , , , .
- 2007. Weakening of the Walker Circulation and apparent dominance of El Niño both reach record levels, but has ENSO really changed? Geophysical Research Letters 34: L18702, DOI:10.1029/2007GL030854. , .
- 2006. A protracted dry and exceptionally hot period affecting NSW and most of eastern Australia, 2001–2006. Bulletin of the Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society 19: 78–81. , .
- 2008. A pressure gradient metric capturing planetary-scale influences on eastern Australian rainfall, Geophys. Res. Lett., 35: L08713, DOI:10.1029/2007GL032970. , , .
- 1987. Global and regional scale precipitation patterns associated with the El Niño/Southern Oscillation. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1606–1626. , .
- 1989. Precipitation patterns associated with the high index phase of the Southern Oscillation. Journal of Climate 2: 268–284. , .
- 2007. Have Australian rainfall and cloudiness increased due to the remote effects of Asian anthropogenic aerosols? Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 112: D09202, DOI:10.1029/2006JD007712. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. A dipole mode in the tropical Indian Ocean. Nature 401: 360–363. , , , .
- 2003a. Possible impacts of Indian Ocean dipole mode events on global climate. Climate Research 25: 151–169. , .
- 2003b. Structure of SST and surface wind variability during Indian Ocean dipole mode events: COADS observations. Journal of Climate 16: 2735–2751. , .
- 2006. Coupled ocean-atmosphere feedback in the Southern Annular Mode. Journal of Climate 19: 4457–4486. , .
- 2004. An assessment of recent trends in Australian rainfall. Australian Meteorological Magazine 53: 163–173. .
- 2000. Southwest Western Australian winter rainfall and its association with Indian Ocean climate variability. International Journal of Climatology 20: 1913–1930. , , , , .
- 2004. Trends in the Southern Oscillation phenomenon and Australian rainfall and changes in their relationship. International Journal of Climatology 24: 269–290. .
- 2002. Interpretation of recent Southern Hemisphere climate change. Science 296: 895–899. , .
- 2000. Annular modes in the extratropical circulation. Part II: Trends. Journal of Climate 13: 1018–1036. , .
- 2008. Anomalous rainfall over southwest Western Australia forced by Indian Ocean sea surface temperatures. Journal of Climate (in press). , , , .
- 2006. Weakening of tropical Pacific atmospheric circulation due to anthropogenic forcing. Nature 441: 73–76. , , , , , .
- 2004. Modelled response of the Australian monsoon to changes in land surface temperatures. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L16205, DOI:10.1029/2004GL020157. , .
- 1998. Global monthly precipitation estimates from satellite observed outgoing longwave radiation. Journal of Climate 11: 137–164. , .
- 1993. Large-scale variability of atmospheric deep convection in relation to sea surface temperature in the tropics. Journal of Climate 6: 1898–1913. .