Synoptically forced hydroclimatology of major Arctic watersheds in general circulation models; Part 1: the Mackenzie River Basin
Article first published online: 25 NOV 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 29, Issue 9, pages 1226–1243, July 2009
How to Cite
Finnis, J., Cassano, J., Holland, M., Serreze, M. and Uotila, P. (2009), Synoptically forced hydroclimatology of major Arctic watersheds in general circulation models; Part 1: the Mackenzie River Basin. Int. J. Climatol., 29: 1226–1243. doi: 10.1002/joc.1753
- Issue published online: 17 JUN 2009
- Article first published online: 25 NOV 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 JUL 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 10 JUL 2008
- Manuscript Received: 19 FEB 2008
- NSF. Grant Numbers: ARC-0229651, ARC-0531302, ARC-0531040
- NASA. Grant Numbers: NNG04GH04G, NNG04GJ39G
- 2000. Hierarchical clustering of self-organizing maps for cloud classification. Neurocomputing 30: 47–52. , , , .
- 1995. An Earth-Gridded Ssm/I data set for cryospheric studies and global change monitoring. Satellite Monitoring of the Earth's Surface and Atmosphere 16: 155–163. , .
- 1998. Precipitation features observed by Doppler radar at Tuktoyaktuk, Northwest Territories, Canada, during the Beaufort and Arctic storms experiment. Monthly Weather Review 126: 2384–2405. , , , , , .
- 2004. Compatibility analysis of precipitation and runoff trends over the large Siberian watersheds. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L21502; DOI: 10.1029/2004GL021277. , , .
- 2003. Evaluation of the ERA-40 surface water budget and surface temperature for the Mackenzie River basin. Journal of Hydrometeorology 4: 1194–1211. , , .
- 2007. Observations: oceanic climate change and sea level. In Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis, SolomonS, QinMMD, ChenZ, MarquisM, AverytKB, TignorM, MillerHL (eds). Cambridge University Press: New York. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Sea ice response to wind forcing from AMIP models. Journal of Climate 15: 522–536, DOI:10.1029/2006GL029237. , , .
- 1997. Thermohaline circulation, the Achilles heel of our climate system: Will man-made CO2 upset the current balance? Science 278: 1582–1588. .
- 2007. A tropospheric assessment of the ERA-40, NCEP, and JRA-25 global reanalyses in the polar regions. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 112: D10111; DOI: 10.1029/2006JD007859. , , , .
- 2007. Predicted changes in synoptic forcing of net precipitation in large Arctic River basins during the 21st century. Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences 112: G04S49; DOI: 10.1029/2006JG000332. , , .
- 2006. Changes in synoptic weather patterns in the polar regions in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries, Part 1: Arctic. International Journal of Climatology 26: 1027–1049, DOI: 10.1002/joc.1306. , , .
- 1999. Large-scale circulation anomalies conducive to extreme precipitation events and derivation of daily rainfall in northeastern Mexico and southeastern Texas. Journal of Climate 12: 1506–1523. .
- 2000. Using self-organizing maps to investigate extreme climate events: An application to wintertime precipitation in the Balkans. Journal of Climate 13: 1718–1732. .
- 1994. The influence of river discharge on the Thawing of Sea-Ice, Mackenzie River Delta—Albedo and temperature analyses. Polar Research 13: 83–94. , , , , .
- 2005. Decreasing river discharge in northern Canada. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L10401; DOI: 10.1029/ 2005GL022845. , .
- 2006. Atmospheric circulation and its effect on Arctic sea ice in CCSM3 simulations at medium and high resolution. Journal of Climate 19: 2415–2436. , .
- 2002. Sensitivity of the Northern Hemisphere blocking frequency to the detection index. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 107: D24009; DOI: 10.1029/2000JD000290. , , .
- 2005. Dynamic and thermodynamic changes in mean and extreme precipitation under changed climate. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L17706. , .
- 2008. Synoptically forced hydroclimatology of major Arctic watersheds in general circulation models, Part 2: Eurasian Drainage, International Journal of Climatology DOI: 10.1002/joc.1769. , , , .
- 2007. Response of northern hemisphere extratropical cyclone activity and associated precipitation to climate change, as represented by CCSM3. Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences 112: G04S42; DOI:10.1029/2006JG000286. , , , .
- 1995. A Statistical-dynamical downscaling procedure for global climate simulations. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 50: 117–131. , , .
- 1996. Verification of statistical-dynamical downscaling in the Alpine region. Climate Research 7: 151–168. , .
- 2005. A model intercomparison of changes in the Atlantic thermohaline circulation in response to increasing atmospheric CO2 concentration. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L12703; DOI: 10.1029/2005GL023209. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Understanding and attributing climate change. In Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis, SolomonS, et al, (eds). Cambridge University Press: New York. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Climate downscaling: Techniques and application. Climate Research 7: 85–95. , .
- 2002. Self-organizing maps: applications to synoptic climatology. Climate Research 22: 13–26. , .
- 2006. Consensus between GCM climate change projections with empirical downscaling: Precipitation downscaling over South Africa. International Journal of Climatology 26: 1315–1337. , .
- 2006. Simulated Arctic Ocean freshwater budgets in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. Journal of Climate 19: 6221–6242, DOI: 10.1175/JCLI3967.1. , , .
- 2007. Projected changes in Arctic Ocean freshwater budgets. Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeoscience 112: G04S55; DOI: 1029/2006JG000354. , , , .
- 1987. An evaluation of three clustering procedures for use in synoptic climatological classification. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 26: 717–730. , , .
- 2007. Simulation and projection of Arctic freshwater budget components by the IPCC AR4 global climate models. Journal of Hydrometeorology 8: 571–589, DOI: 10.1175/JHM575.1. , , , , , .
- 2000. A seasonal precipitation and stream flow hindcast and prediction study in the western United States during the 1997/98 winter season using a dynamic downscaling system. Journal of Hydrometeorology 1: 311–329. , , , .
- 2001. Self-organizing Maps, 3rd edn. Springer: Berlin, New York. .
- 2004. Fluid Mechanics, 3rd edn. Elsevier Academic Press: Amsterdam, Boston, MA. , , .
- 2004. Impact analysis of climate change for an Alpine catchment using high resolution dynamic downscaling of ECHAM4 time slices. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 8: 1030–1044. , , , .
- 1996. The synoptic- and planetary-scale signatures of precipitating systems over the Mackenzie River Basin. Atmosphere-Ocean 34: 647–674. , .
- 2006. Changes in synoptic weather patterns in the polar regions in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries, part 2: Antarctic. International Journal of Climatology 26: 1181–1199, DOI: 10.1002/joc.1306. , , .
- 1999. Connections among ice, runoff and atmospheric forcing in the Beaufort Gyre. Geophysical Research Letters 26: 2223–2226. , , , , .
- 2004. Simulated long-term changes in river discharge and soil moisture due to global warming. Hydrological Sciences Journal-Journal Des Sciences Hydrologiques 49: 625–642. , , .
- 1994. Predicting snowfall from synoptic circulation: A comparison of linear regression and neural network methodologies. In Neural Nets: Applications in Geography, HewitsonBC, CraneRG (eds). Kluwer Academic Publishers: Dordrecht, Boston, MA; xi, 194. .
- 2001. Classification of rainfall variability by using artificial neural networks. International Journal of Climatology 21: 1401–1414, 10.1002/joc.702. , , .
- 2005. Global pattern of trends in streamflow and water availability in a changing climate. Nature 438: 347–350. , , .
- 1995. A method for downscaling global climate Model-calculations by a statistical weather generator. Ecological Modelling 82: 199–204. .
- 2002. Increasing river discharge to the Arctic Ocean. Science 298: 2171–2173, DOI: 10.1126/science.1077445. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Effects of climatic variability and flow regulation on ice-jam flooding of a northern delta. Hydrological Processes 12: 1589–1610. , .
- 2007. Climate models and their evaluation. In Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis, Contribution of the Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, SolomonS, et al, (eds). Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change: New York. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. North Atlantic climate variability from a self-organizing map perspective. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 112: D02104. , , .
- 2005. Twentieth-century decline in streamflows from the hydrographic apex of North America. Journal of Hydrology 306: 215–233. , , , .
- 2003. Energy and water cycles in a high-latitude, north-flowing river system—Summary of results from the Mackenzie GEWEX Study—Phase I. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 84: 73–87. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Effects of climate change on the freshwaters of arctic and subarctic North America. Hydrological Processes 11: 873–902. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1969. A nonlinear mapping for data structure analysis. IEEE Transactions on Computers C 18: 401–409. .
- 2006. An impending water crisis in Canada's western prairie provinces. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 103: 7210–7216. , .
- 2006. Cumulative effects of climate warming and other human activities on freshwaters of Arctic and subarctic North America. Ambio 35: 160–168. , .
- 1996. A river-coastal sea ice interaction model: Mackenzie River Delta. Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans 101: 8885–8894. , , .
- 2005. Northern high-latitude precipitation as depicted by atmospheric reanalyses and satellite retrievals. Monthly Weather Review 133: 3407–3430, DOI: 10.1175/MWR3047.1. , , .
- 2006. The large-scale freshwater cycle of the Arctic. Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans 111: C11010; DOI: 10.1029/2005JC003424. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The Arctic Climate System. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, New York. , .
- 2003. Precipitation characteristics of the Eurasian Arctic drainage system. International Journal of Climatology 23: 1267–1291, DOI: 10.1002/joc.941. , .
- 1998. Retreat of the cold halocline layer in the Arctic Ocean. Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans 103: 10419–10435. , .
- 2000. The variable climate of the mackenzie river basin: its water cycle and fresh water discharge. In The Freshwater Budget of the Arctic Ocean, LewisEL, JonesEP, (eds). Kluwer Academic Publishers: Dordrecht, Boston, MA; 367–381. .
- 2007. Changes in Antarctic net precipitation in the 21st century based on Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) model scenarios. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 112: D10107. , , , .
- 2002. Comparison of Arctic climate simulations by uncoupled and coupled global models. Journal of Climate 15: 1429–1446. , , , , .
- 1998. Sea ice and polar climate in the NCAR CSM. Journal of Climate 11: 1472–1486. , , , .
- 1945. Individual comparisons by ranking methods. Biometrics Bulletin 1: 80–83. .
- 2005. Impacts of climate and river flooding on the hydro-ecology of a floodplain basin, Peace-Athabasca Delta, Canada since AD 1700. Quaternary Research 64: 147–162. , , , , , .