Effects of vegetation map change in MM5 simulations of southern Africa's summer climate
Article first published online: 29 SEP 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 29, Issue 6, pages 885–898, May 2009
How to Cite
MacKellar, N. C., Tadross, M. A. and Hewitson, B. C. (2009), Effects of vegetation map change in MM5 simulations of southern Africa's summer climate. Int. J. Climatol., 29: 885–898. doi: 10.1002/joc.1754
- Issue published online: 20 APR 2009
- Article first published online: 29 SEP 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 JUL 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 17 JAN 2008
- Manuscript Received: 20 AUG 2007
- Water Research Commission of South Africa
- BIOTA southern Africa
- 2003. Impact of historical land cover change on the July climate of the United States. Journal of Geophysical Research 108(D24): 4793. , , , .
- 1993. The Betts-Miller scheme. In The Representation of Cumulus Convection in Numerical Models of the Atmosphere, EmanuelKA, RaymondDJ (eds). American Meteorological Society: Chapter in. , .
- 1997. Effects of land use on the climate of the United States. Climatic Change 37: 449–486. .
- 2003. What controls South African Vegetation—climate or fire? South African Journal of Botany 69(1): 1–13. , , .
- 1975. Dynamics of deserts and drought in the Sahel. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 101: 193–202. .
- 1977. A comparative study of the effects of albedo change on drought in semi-arid regions. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 34: 1366–1385. , , , .
- 2001a. Coupling an advanced land surface-hydrology model with the Penn State-NCAR MM5 modeling system. Part I: Model implementation and sensitivity. Monthly Weather Review 129: 569–585. , .
- 2001b. Coupling an advanced land surface-hydrology model with the Penn State-NCAR MM5 modeling system. Part II: Preliminary model validation. Monthly Weather Review 129: 587–604. , .
- 1996. Potential climatic impacts of vegetation change: A regional modeling study. Journal of Geophysical Research 101(D3): 7409–7418. , , .
- 2001. Global response of terrestrial ecosystem structure and function to CO2 and climate change: results from sx dynamic global vegetation models. Global Change Biology 7: 357–373. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. Modeling tropical deforestation: A study of GCM land-surface parameterizations. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 114: 439–462. , .
- 1994. Albedo as a modulator of climate response to tropical deforestation. Journal of Geophysical Research 99(D10): 20,863–20,877. , .
- 1994. A description of the fifth-generation Penn State/NCAR Mesoscale Model (MM5), NCAR Technical Note NCAR/TN-3981STR, 117. , , .
- 1998. The derivation of the green vegetation fraction from NOAA/AVHRR data for use in numerical weather prediction models. International Journal of Remote Sensing 19: 1533–1543. , .
- 1997. RCCM2-BATS model over tropical South America: applications to tropical deforestation. Journal of Climate 10: 1944–1964. , .
- 2000. Vegetation-climate feedbacks in the conversion of tropical savanna to grassland. Journal of Climate 13: 1593–1602. , .
- 1996. Nonlocal boundary layer vertical diffusion in a medium-range forecast model. Monthly Weather Review 124: 2322–2339. , .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77(3): 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Simulation of the regional climatic impact of Amazon deforestation. Nature 342: 411–413. , .
- 2004. The impact of anthropogenic land-cover change on the Florida Peninsula sea breezes and warm season sensible weather. Monthly Weather Review 132: 28–52. , , , .
- 2005. The effects of satellite-derived vegetation cover variability on simulated land–atmosphere interactions in the NAMS. Journal of Climate 18: 21–40. , , .
- 2004a. Effects of “realistic” land-cover change on a greenhouse-warmed African climate. Climate Dynamics 22: 343–358. , .
- 2004b. Sensitivity of a general circulation model to land surface parameters in African tropical deforestation experiments. Climate Dynamics 22: 555–572. , .
- 1991. Amazonian deforestation and the regional climate change. Journal of Climate 4: 957–988. , , .
- 1999. Representing twentieth century space-time climate variability. Part I: Development of a 1961–1990 mean monthly terrestrial climatology. Journal of Climate 12: 829–856. , , .
- 2000. Representing twentieth century space-time climate variability. Part II: development of 1901-96 monthly grids of terrestrial surface climate. Journal of Climate 13: 2217–2238. , , .
- 1999. Simulation of potential impacts of man -made land use changes on U.S. summer climate under various synoptic regimes. Journal of Geophysical Research 104: 6515–6528. , , , .
- 1993. Assessing climate model sensitivity to prescribed deforested landscapes. International Journal of Climatology 13: 879–898. , , , .
- 1998. Analysis of soil organic carbon and vegetation cover trends along the Botswana Kalahari Transect. Journal of Arid Environments 38: 379–396. , , .
- 2001. A GCM study of climate change induced by deforestation in Africa. Climate Research 17: 93–103. , .
- 2006. MM5 simulations of interannual change and the diurnal cycle of southern African regional climate. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 86: 63–80. , , , , .
- 1971. Provisional vegetation map of Botswana. Botswana Notes and Records, Vol. 3. The Botswana Society: Gaborone; 131–152. , .
- 2004a. Vegetation dynamics—simulating responses to climatic change. Biological Reviews 79: 643–670. , .
- 2004b. Simulating vegetation processes along the Kalahari transect. Global Change Biology 10: 383–392. , .
- 1995. A global land primary productivity and phytogeography model. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 9: 471–490. , , .
- 1996. Analyses of global monthly precipitation using gauge observations, satellite estimates, and numerical model predictions. Journal of Climate 9: 840–858. , .
- 1997. Global Precipitation: A 17-year monthly analysis based on gauge observations, satellite estimates, and numerical model outputs. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 2539–2558. , .
- 1997. Biosphere feedback on regional climate in tropical north Africa. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 123: 1483–1515. .
- 1993. The influence on land surface properties on Sahel climate. Part 1: Desertification. Journal of Climate 6: 2232–2245. , .
- 1996. Climatic impact of Amazon deforestation—a mechanistic model study. Journal of Climate 9: 859–883. , , .
- 2000. The role of vegetation–climate interaction and interannual variability in shaping the African savanna. Journal of Climate 13: 2665–2670. , .
- 1995. Taking serial correlation into account in tests of the mean. Journal of Climate 8: 336–351. , .