Diurnal variations of precipitation during the warm season over China
Version of Record online: 29 SEP 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 29, Issue 8, pages 1154–1170, 30 June 2009
How to Cite
Yin, S., Chen, D. and Xie, Y. (2009), Diurnal variations of precipitation during the warm season over China. Int. J. Climatol., 29: 1154–1170. doi: 10.1002/joc.1758
- Issue online: 12 JUN 2009
- Version of Record online: 29 SEP 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 JUL 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 18 MAR 2008
- Manuscript Received: 10 JUL 2007
- Swedish Foundation for International Cooperation in Research and High Education, the Swedish Agency for International Development Cooperation
- National Key Basic Research Special Foundation. Grant Number: 2007CB407203
- 2004. Diurnal cycle of rainfall over the Amazon Basin. Climate Research 26(2): 139–149. , , .
- 1984. On the relationship between diurnal mesoscale circulations and precipitation in a mountain valley. Journal of Applied Meteorology 23(12): 1635–1644. .
- 1998. Weather of Northwest China. Meteorological Press: Beijing, (in Chinese). , .
- 2003. Monitoring the monsoon in the Himalayas: Observations in central Nepal, June 2001. Monthly Weather Review 131(7): 1408–1427. , .
- 1996. Harmonic Analysis and Applications (Studies in Advanced Mathematics). CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL. .
- 2006. A climatological-dynamical analysis associated with precipitation around the southern part of the Himalayas. Journal of Geophysical Research 111: D02115, DOI: 10.1029/2005JD006197. , .
- 1998. A method for finding sea breeze days under stable synoptic conditions and its application to the Swedish west coast. International Journal of Climatology 18(8): 901–914. , , .
- 2005. Diurnal cycle of tropical precipitation in Tropical Rainfall Measuring Mission (TRMM) satellite and ocean buoy rain gauge data. Journal of Geophysical Research 110: D21104, DOI: 10.1029/2005JD005763. , , , , , .
- 1996. Comparison of precipitation observed over the continental United States to that simulated by a climate model. Journal of Climate 9(9): 2233–2249. , , , .
- 2004. Diurnal cycle of tropical precipitation in a general circulation model. Journal of Geophysical Research 109: D17105, DOI: 10.1029/2004JD004818. , .
- 1999. Recent changes in the diurnal cycle of precipitation over the United States. Journal of Geophysical Research 26(3): 341–344. .
- 2001. Global precipitation and thunderstorm frequencies. Part II: Diurnal variations. Journal of Climate 14(6): 1112–1128. .
- 1999. Observed and model-simulated diurnal cycles of precipitation over the contiguous United States. Journal of Geophysical Research 104(D6): 6377–6402, DOI: 10.1029/98JD02720. , , .
- 2004. The diurnal cycle and its depiction in the Community Climate System Model. Journal of Climate 17(5): 930–951. , .
- 1984. An analysis of characteristics of the intense precipitation and its environmental conditions in Wulumuqi. Bimonthly of Xinjiang Meteorology 7(1): 3–15, (in Chinese). , .
- 2004. Seasonal march of the East-Asian summer monsoon. In East Asian Monsoon, World Scientific Series on Meteorology of East Asia, Vol. 2, ChangCP (ed.). World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd.: Singapore. .
- 2005. The East Asian summer monsoon: An overview. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 89(1–4): 117–142, DOI: 10.1007/s00703-005-0125-z. , .
- 1994. The Asian Monsoon. China Meteorological Press: Beijing. , .
- 1988. Diurnal variations of precipitation and thunderstorm frequency in Japan in warm season. Papers in Meteorology and Geophysics 39(3): 79–94. .
- 2006. Long-term changes in the diurnal precipitation cycles in Japan for 106 years (1898–2003). Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 84(2): 311–317. , , .
- 1995. Disaggregation of daily rainfall by conditional simulation from a point-process model. Journal of Hydrology 165(1): 1–9. , , .
- 2001. Modeling diurnal cycles in point rainfall properties. Hydrological Processes 15(4): 595–608. .
- 1901. Lehrbuch der Meteorologie, 5th edn. Chr. Herm. Tauchnitz: Leipzig. .
- 2005. Spatial and diurnal variation of precipitation systems over Asia observed by the TRMM precipitation radar. Journal of Geophysical Research 110: D05106, DOI: 10.1029/2004JD004815. , .
- 2005. Improved representation of diurnal variability of rainfall retrieved from the Tropical Rainfall Measurement Mission Microwave Imager adjusted Precipitation Estimation From Remotely Sensed Information Using Artificial Neural Networks (PERSIANN) system. Journal of Geophysical Research 110: D06102, DOI: 10.1029/2004JD005301. , , , .
- 2006. The progress of RCMs simulation on East Asia region. Advances in Earth Science 21(9): 956–964, (in Chinese with English abstract). , .
- 2005. Diurnal cycle of precipitation determined from the CMORPH high spatial and temporal resolution global precipitation analyses. Journal of Geophysical Research 110: D23105, DOI: 10.1029/2005JD006156. , , .
- 2006. On the relationship between atmospheric circulation and precipitation in Northeastern China. Journal of Meteorological Applications 17(5): 557–566, (in Chinese with English abstract). , , .
- 2003. The influence of wind and topography on precipitation distribution: A case study in Sweden. International Journal of Climatology 23: 1523–1535. , .
- 2001. Interpretation of the transient variations in the time series of precipitation amounts in Seoul, Korea. Part I: Diurnal variation. Journal of Climate 12(13): 2989–3003. , , .
- 2004. Current status of AGCM monsoon simulation. In East Asian Monsoon, World Scientific Series on Meteorology of East Asia, Vol. 2, ChangCP (ed.). World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd.: Singapore. .
- 1995. Generalizations of chain-dependent processes: Application of hourly precipitation. Water Resources Research 31(5): 1331–1341. , .
- 2005. Reduction in tropical rainfall diurnal variation by global warming simulated by a 20-km mesh climate model. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L18709. , .
- 2004. The diurnal mode of summer rainfall across the conterminous United States in 10-km simulations by the WRF model. Preprints, 16th Conference on Numerical Weather Prediction. American Meteorological Society: Seattle, WA, CD-ROM, P17.2. , , .
- 1980. Diurnal rainfall variations in northeast Brazil. Monthly Weather Review 108(4): 488–498. .
- 1981. Influence of the Tibetan Plateau on cumulative and diurnal changes of weather and climate in summer. Monthly Weather Review 109(11): 2337–2356. , .
- 1990. The climatological characteristics of the Bashan mountains. Acta Geographica Sinica 15(3): 311–320, (in Chinese with English abstract). , , , .
- 2004. Model study of evolution and diurnal variations of rainfall in the North American monsoon during June and July 2002. Monthly Weather Review 132(12): 2895–2915. , , , .
- 2004. Regional climate model simulation of summer precipitation diurnal cycle over the United States. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L24208. , , , .
- 1995. Topography-Induced Precipitation Climatology. Science Press: Beijing, (in Chinese). .
- 2002. The diurnal variation of precipitation in monsoon season in the Tibetan Plateau. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 19(2): 365–378. , , , , .
- 2006. The diurnal variation of the atmospheric circulation and diabatic heating over the Tibetan Plateau. Advances in Earth Science 21(12): 1273–1282, (in Chinese with English abstract). , , .
- 1942. Night rain in the east of Sichuan province. Acta Meteorological Sinica 16(1): 36–53, (in Chinese). .
- 2003. Diurnal patterns of rainfall in northwestern South America. Part II: Model simulations. Monthly Weather Review 131(5): 813–829. , , , .
- 1993. A point-process model for tropical rainfall. Journal of Geophysical Research 98(D9): 16639–16652. , .
- 2001. Diurnal variations of convective activity and rainfall in tropical Asia. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 79(1B): 333–352. , , , , .
- 1994. Seasonal change of the diurnal cycle of precipitation over Japan and Malaysia. Journal of Applied Meteorology 33(12): 1445–1463. , .
- 1952. Diurnal variation of summer rainfall over East China, Korea and Japan. Journal of Meteorology 9(2): 83–86. .
- 2005. Diurnal cycle of convective instability around the central mountains in Japan during the warm season. Journal of Atmospheric Sciences 62(5): 1626–1636. , .
- 2002. Diurnal variability of tropical rainfall retrieved from combined GOES and TRMM satellite information. Journal of Climate 15(9): 983–1001. , , , , , , .
- 1975. Diurnal variations in precipitation and thunderstorm frequency over the conterminous United States. Monthly Weather Review 103(5): 406–419. .
- 2000. Principles of Hydrology, 4th edn. McGraw-Hill Publishing Company: London. , .
- 2004. Changes of the diurnal cycle structures of selected meteorological parameters of Potsdam station for the summer season. Climate Research 26(2): 131–138. , .
- 2006. Daily precipitation downscaling techniques in different climate regions in China. Water Resources Research 42: W11423, DOI:10.1029/2005WR004573. , , , , .
- 2004. The diurnal cycle of convection and atmospheric tides in an aquaplanet GCM. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 61(21): 2559–2573. , , .
- 2001. Climate of Southwest China. China Meteorological Press: Beijing, (in Chinese). .
- 1979. Meteorology of Qinghai-Xizang (Tibet) Plateau. Science Press: Beijing, (in Chinese). , .
- 2007. Diurnal variations of summer precipitation over contiguous China. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L01704, DOI: 10.1029/2006GL028129. , , , , .
- 2003. Roles of tropospheric and boundary layer forcing in the diurnal cycle of convection in the U.S. Southern Great Plains. Geophysical Research Letters 30(24): 2281, DOI: 10.1029/2003GL018554. .
- 1985. Chinese Climate. Shanghai Technology Press: Shanghai, (in Chinese). , .
- 2000. Investigations on short-term climate prediction by GCMs. Acta Meteorologica Sinica 14(1): 108–119, (in Chinese with English abstract). , , .
- 2005. Characteristics of summer rainfall in China for the recent years. Advances in Climate Change Research 1(1): 29–31, (in Chinese with English abstract). , , .