The contribution of R. Allan was written in the course of his employment at the Met Office, UK and is published with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen's Printer for Scotland.
Special Issue Article
Fluctuations in autumn–winter severe storms over the British Isles: 1920 to present
Version of Record online: 22 OCT 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Special Issue: Climate Extremes: progress and future directions
Volume 29, Issue 3, pages 357–371, 15 March 2009
How to Cite
Allan, R., Tett, S. and Alexander, L. (2009), Fluctuations in autumn–winter severe storms over the British Isles: 1920 to present. Int. J. Climatol., 29: 357–371. doi: 10.1002/joc.1765
- Issue online: 16 FEB 2009
- Version of Record online: 22 OCT 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 AUG 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 9 JUL 2008
- Manuscript Received: 13 DEC 2007
- 2005. Recent observed changes in severe storms over the United Kingdom and Iceland. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L13704, Doi:10.1029/2005GL022371. , , .
- 1998. Long-term variations of the storm climate over NW Europe. Global Atmosphere and Ocean System 6: 97–120. , , , .
- 2000. Trends of storms in NW Europe derived from an updated pressure data set. Climate Research 14: 71–73. , , , .
- 2006. A new globally complete monthly historical gridded mean sea level pressure data set (HadSLP2): 1850–2004. Journal of Climate 19: 5816–5842. , .
- 2006. Daily mean sea level pressure reconstructions for the European—North Atlantic region for the period 1850–2003. Journal of Climate 19: 2717–2742. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Classification, seasonality and persistence of low-frequency atmospheric circulation patterns. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1083–1126. , .
- 2004. Scandinavian storminess since about 1800. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L20202, Doi:10.1029/ 2004GL020441. , .
- 1999. Changing Storminess? An analysis of long-term sea-level, wave height and wind data-sets. Climate Research 11: 161–172. , , , .
- 2006. Feasibility of a 100-Year reanalysis using only surface pressure data. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 87: 175–190. , , .
- 2002. Complex North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) index signal of historic North Atlantic storm track changes. Holocene 12(3): 363–369. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Reconstruction of storm frequency in the North Sea Area of the Pre-industrial period, 1400–1625 and the connection with reconstructed time series of temperatures. History of Meteorology 2: 51–69. .
- 2006. The 2005–6 winter in Europe and the United Kingdom: Part 2 prediction techniques and their assessment against observations. Weather 61(12): 337–346. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. The 2005/06 winter in Europe and the United Kingdom: Part 1 -How the Met Office forecast was produced and communicated. Weather 61(12): 327–336. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. New insights into North European and North Atlantic surface pressure variability, storminess and related climatic change since 1830. Journal of Climate (in press). , , , , , , .
- 2003. The storminess record from Armagh Observatory, Northern Ireland, 1796–1999. Weather 58: 28–35. .
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). 2001. In Climate Change 2001: The Science of Climate Change, HoughtonJT, DingY, GriggsDJ, NoguerM, van der LindenPJ, DaiX, MaskellK and JohnsonCA (eds). Cambridge University Press: New York; 944.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). 2007. In Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis, Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, SolomonS, QinD, ManningM, ChenZ, MarquisM, AverytKB, TignorM, MillerHL (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, New York; 1009.
- 1997. Extension to the North Atlantic Oscillation using early instrumental pressure observations from Gibraltar and South-West Iceland. International Journal of Climatology 17: 1433–1450. , , .
- 2007. A new day-to-day pressure variability index as a proxy of Icelandic storminess and complement to the North Atlantic Oscillation index 1823–2005. Meteorologische Zeitschrift 16(1): 1–12. , .
- 1991. British Isles daily wind and weather patterns, 1588, 1781–86, 1972–1991 and shorter early sequences (in 1532, 1570 and other years, notably 1688, 189, 1694, 1697, 1703, 1717, 1783-4, 1791, 1792, 1795, 1822, 1825, 1829, 1845 1846, 1849, 1854–55. Climate Monitor 20(1–5): 47–71. .
- 1991. Historic Storms of the North Sea, British Isles and Northwest Europe. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 204. , .
- 2004. Storminess and vulnerability along the Atlantic coastlines of Europe: analysis of storm records and of a greenhouse gases induced climate scenario. Marine Geology 210: 205–225. , , , .
- 2008. European. Storminess: Late 19th century to present. Climate Dynamics 32: 125–130, DOI: 10.1007/s00382-007-0333-y. , , , , .
- 2006. Flood seasonality and generating conditions in the Tay catchment, Scotland from 1200 to present. Area 38(1): 47–64, Doi:10.1111/j.1475–4762.2006.00659. .
- 2005. Rainfall variability at decadal and longer time scales: Signal or noise? Journal of Climate 18: 89–96. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. An improved method of constructing a database of monthly climate observations and associated high-resolution grids. International Journal of Climatology 25: 693–712. , .
- 2007. Long-term variability of daily North Atlantic-European pressure patterns since 1850 classified by simulated annealing clustering. Journal of Climate 20: 4065–4095. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Global analyses of sea surface temperature, sea ice, and night marine air temperature since the late nineteenth century. Journal of Geophysical Research 108(D14): 4407, Doi:10.1029/2002JD002670 2003. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Atlantic air-sea interaction and seasonal predictability. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 128: 1413–1443. , .
- 2005. Trends in storminess over the Netherlands, 1962–2002. International Journal of Climatology 25: 1331–1344. , , .
- 2000. A three-century storm chronology for Dublin 1715–2000. Irish Geography 33(1): 1–14. .
- 2005. Searching for decadal variations in ENSO precipitation teleconnections. Geophysical Research Letters 32(15): L15701, Doi:10.1029/2005GL023110. , .
- 2004. Changes in extra-tropical storm tracks and cyclone activity as derived from two global reanalyses and the Canadian CGCM2 projections of future climate. In Preprints. 8th International Workshop on Wave Hindcasting and Forecasting, North Shore, Oahu, November 14-19th 2004. , , .
- 2006. Climatology and changes of extratropical cyclone activity: Comparison of ERA-40 with NCEP-NCAR reanalysis for 1958–2001. Journal of Climate 19(13): 3145–3166. , , .