Variabilities of the spring river runoff system in East China and their relations to precipitation and sea surface temperature
Article first published online: 3 DEC 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 29, Issue 10, pages 1381–1394, August 2009
How to Cite
Chen, W., Wang, L., Xue, Y. and Sun, S. (2009), Variabilities of the spring river runoff system in East China and their relations to precipitation and sea surface temperature. Int. J. Climatol., 29: 1381–1394. doi: 10.1002/joc.1785
- Issue published online: 20 JUL 2009
- Article first published online: 3 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 24 SEP 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 SEP 2008
- Manuscript Received: 13 APR 2008
- Chinese Key Developing Program for Basic Sciences. Grant Number: 2004CB418303
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Number: 40775035
- US National Science Foundation. Grant Number: NSF-ATM-0353606
- 1992. An intercomparison of methods for finding coupled patterns in climate data. Journal of Climate 5: 541–560. , , .
- 2002. The impacts of El Niño and La Niña on the cycle of East Asian winter and summer monsoon. Chinese Journal of Atmospheric Sciences 26: 595–610. .
- 1998. Studies on climate change in China in recent 45 years. Acta Meteorologica Sinica 12: 1–17. , , .
- 2004. Seasonal march of the East-Asian summer monsoon. In East Asian Monsoon, ChangC-P (ed.). World Scientific Publishing Co. Pet. Ltd.: Singapore; 3–53. .
- 1999. The pilot phase of the global soil wetness project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 80: 851–878. , , .
- 2002. High-resolution fields of global runoff combining observed river discharge and simulated water balances. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 16(3): 1042, 10.1029/1999GB001254. , , .
- 1977. Stochastic climate models. Part II: Application to sea-surface temperature variability and thermocline variability. Tellus 29: 289–305. , .
- 1992. Impacts of the tropical western Pacific on the East Asian summer monsoon. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 70: 243–256. , .
- 1994. Impact of the thermal state and convective activities over the western Pacific warm pool on summer climate anomalies in East Asia. Chinese Journal of Atmospheric Sciences 18: 262–272. , .
- 1989. The influence of ENSO on the summer climate change in China and its mechanism. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 6: 21–32. , .
- 1999. The interdecadal variation of summer precipitation in China and the drought trend in North China. Plateau Meteorology 18: 465–475. , , .
- 2003. The progresses of recent studies on the variabilities of the East Asian monsoon and their causes. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 20: 55–69. , , .
- 1977. Filtering and decimation of digital timer series. Technical Report BN 850, Institute of Physical Science and Technology, University of Maryland: College Park, 14. .
- 1992. East Asian summer monsoon rainfall variability and climate teleconnection. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 70: 211–242. .
- 2001. Coherent modes of global SST and summer rainfall over China: An assessment of the regional impacts of the 1997-98 El Niño. Journal of Climate 14: 1294–1308. , .
- 1988. Seasonal and intraseasonal climatology of summer monsoon rainfall over East Asia. Monthly Weather Review 116: 18–37. , , .
- 1994. Hydro-climatological trends in the continental United States: 1948–88. Journal of Climate 7: 586–607. , , .
- 2005. Evaluation of reanalysis soil moisture simulations using updated Chinese soil moisture observations. Journal of Hydrometeorology 6: 180–193. , , , , .
- 1985. Streamflow variability in the United States: 1931–78. Journal of Applied Meteorology 24: 463–471. .
- 2008. Short-term streamflow forecasting with global climate change implications—A comparative study between genetic programming and neural network models. Journal of Hydrology 352: 336–354. , , .
- 1997. A Pacific interdecadal climate oscillation with impacts on salmon production. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 1069–1079. , , , , .
- 2002. A long-term hydrologically based dataset of land surface fluxes and states for the conterminous United States. Journal of Climate 15: 3237–3251. , , , , .
- 1996. Summer climate variability in China and its association with 500 hPa height and tropical convection. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 74: 425–445. , .
- 1984. Empirical orthogonal functions and normal modes. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 41: 879–887. .
- 1982. Sampling errors in the estimation of empirical orthogonal functions. Monthly Weather Review 110: 699–706. , , , .
- 1998. Design of Total Runoff Integrating Pathways (TRIP)—A global river channel network. Earth Interactions 2: 1–37. , .
- 1999. Development of the Hadley Centre sea ice and sea surface temperature data sets (HadSST). WMO Workshop on Advances in Marine Climatology-CLIMAR99. Canada, Environment Canada: Vancouver; 194–203. , , , .
- 1999. Statistical Analysis in Climate Research. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 484. , .
- 1992. Singular value decomposition of wintertime sea surface temperature and 500-mb height anomalies. Journal of Climate 5: 561–576. , , .
- 2000. Pacific–East Asian teleconnection: How does ENSO affect East Asian climate? Journal of Climate 13: 1517–1536. , , .
- 1999. Long term variations of summer rainfall over China and its possible link to global sea-surface temperature variability. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 77: 845–857. , , .
- 2008. Multivariate streamflow forecasting using independent component analysis. Water Resources Research 44: W02437, DOI:10.1029/2007WR006104. , , , .
- 1993. Monitoring ENSO in LOADS with a seasonally adjusted principal component index. In Proceedings 17th Climate Diagnostics Workshop, Norman, NOAA, 52–57. , .
- 1998. Measuring the strength of ENSO events: How does 1997/98 rank? Weather 53: 315–324. , .
- 2003. Evolution of ENSO-related rainfall anomalies in East Asia. Journal of Climate 16: 3742–3758. , , .
- 2007. Observed relationship of spring and summer East Asian rainfall with winter and spring Eurasian snow. Journal of Climate 20: 1285–1304. , .
- 1996. The impact of desertification in the Mongolian and the Inner Mongolian grassland on the regional climate. Journal of Climate 9: 2173–2189. .
- 2005. Multi-scale variability of the river runoff system in China and its long-term link to precipitation and sea surface temperature. Journal of Hydrometeorology 6: 550–570. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Precursory signals associated with the interannual variability of the Asian summer monsoon. Journal of Climate 9: 949–964. , , .
- 1994. Trends and decadal-scale fluctuations of surface air temperature and precipitation over China and Mongolia during the recent 40 year period (1951–1990). Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 72: 937–957. , .
- 1996. Impact of El Niño on the East Asian monsoon: A diagnostic study of the 86/87 and 91/92 events. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 74: 49–62. , , .
- 1999. A diagnostic study of the impact of El Niño on the precipitation in China. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 16: 229–241. , , .
- 1997. ENSO-like interdecadal variability: 1900–1993. Journal of Climate 10: 1004–1020. , , .
- 2003. Research on the characteristics of interdecadal variability of summer climate in China and its possible cause. Climatic and Environmental Research 20: 55–69. , .
- 2006a. Characteristics of interdecadal variability of spring precipitation in North China and its possible cause. Climatic and Environmental Research 11: 441–450. , .
- 2006b. Characteristics of temporal and spatial variation of precipitation, evaporation and difference between precipitation and evaporation in North China. Climatic and Environmental Research 11: 280–295. , .
- 2000. Statistical relations between typhoon activity and precipitation in China. Plateau Meteorology 19: 260–264. , , .