Trends in the start of the wet season over Africa
Article first published online: 20 NOV 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 29, Issue 9, pages 1216–1225, July 2009
How to Cite
Kniveton, D. R., Layberry, R., Williams, C. J. R. and Peck, M. (2009), Trends in the start of the wet season over Africa. Int. J. Climatol., 29: 1216–1225. doi: 10.1002/joc.1792
- Issue published online: 17 JUN 2009
- Article first published online: 20 NOV 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 SEP 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 26 SEP 2008
- Manuscript Received: 9 JUL 2007
- Pingping Xie and Tim Love of the Climate Prediction Center USAID/FEWS-NET
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- 1977. The start of the growing season in northern Nigeria. Agricultural Meteorology 18: 91–99. .
- 2001. Seasonality and atmospheric dynamics of the teleconnection between African rainfall and tropical sea-surface temperature: Atlantic vs. ENSO. International Journal of Climatology 21(8): 973–1005. , , .
- 2000. The South Indian convergence zone and interannual rainfall variability over southern Africa. Journal of Climate 13(21): 3789–3804. .
- 2001. A Southern Hemisphere wave response to ENSO with implications for southern Africa precipitation. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 58(15): 2146–2162. .
- 1976. An evaluation of the climate of water resources for development of agriculture in the Sudano-Sahelian Zone of West Africa. Special Environmental Report 9. World Meteorological Organistaion: Geneva, Switzerland, WMO-No 459. , , .
- 2001. Early detection of the start of the wet season in semiarid tropical climates of Western Africa. International Journal of Climatology 21(10): 1251–1262. , .
- 2002. Spring to summer changes in the West African monsoon through NCEP/NCAR reanalyses (1968–1998). Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 107(D14): 101029–101037 art. no. 4186. , , , .
- 2004. A high-resolution simulation of a West African rainy season using a regional climate model. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 109(D5): D05108.1–D05108.13. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Seasonal forecasting of the Ethiopian summer rains. International Journal of Climatology 24(11): 1345–1358. , , , .
- 1999. Importance of the Indian Ocean for simulating rainfall anomalies over eastern and southern Africa. Journal Of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 104(D16): 19099–19116. , .
- 1987. Secular changes in wet season structure in central Sudan. Journal of Arid Environments 13: 31–46. .
- 2001. African climate change: 1900–2100. Climate Research 17(2): 145–168. , , .
- 2003. Opportunities and constraints for farmers of west Africa to use seasonal precipitation forecasts with Burkina Faso as a case study. Agricultural Systems 74(3): 331–349. , , .
- 1998. West African monsoon dynamics and eastern equatorial Atlantic and Pacific SST anomalies (1970-88). Journal of Climate 11(8): 1874–1882. , , , .
- 1999. Operational long-lead prediction of South African rainfall using canonical correlation analysis. International Journal of Climatology 19(10): 1073–1090. , .
- 1983. Statistical field significance and its determination by Monte Carlo techniques. Monthly Weather Review 111: 46–59. , .
- 1987. Rainfall variaibility in equatorial and southern Africa–relationships with seas-surface temperatures along the southwestern coast of Africa. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 26(5): 561–578. , .
- 2003. Prediction of East African seasonal rainfall using simplex canonical correlation analysis. Journal of Climate 16(12): 2105–2112. , , .
- 1988. Relationships between seasonal rainfall in east-Africa and the southern oscillation. Journal of Climatology 8(1): 31–43. .
- 1974. Baring high-albedo soils by overgrazing- hypothesized desertification mechanism. Science 186(4163): 531–533. .
- 1999. Warm and cold events in the southeast Atlantic southwest Indian Ocean region and potential impacts on circulation and rainfall over southern Africa. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 69(1–2): 49–65. .
- 2003. South East tropical Atlantic warm events and southern African rainfall. Geophysical Research Letters 30(5): CLI9.1–CLI9.4. , , , .
- 2003. The impact of Mediterranean SSTs on the Sahelian rainfall season. Journal of Climate 16(5): 849–862. .
- 1996. A GCM study of the teleconnections between the continental climate of Africa and global sea surface temperature anomalies. Journal of Climate 9(10): 2480–2497. , , , .
- 1982. Analysing daily rainfall measurements to give agronomically useful results. I. Direct methods. Experimental Agriculture 18: 223–236. , , .
- 1999. Numerical forecasting of monthly climate in southern Africa. International Journal of Climatology 19(12): 1319–1336. .
- 1999. Predictions of African rainfall on the seasonal timescale. Journal Of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 104(D24): 31589–31597. , , .
- 2001. Mechanisms by which Gulf of Guinea and eastern North Atlantic sea surface temperature anomalies can influence African rainfall. Journal of Climate 14(5): 795–821. , .
- 2003. Climate variability and rural livelihoods: assessing the impact of seasonal climate forecasts in Lesotho. Area 35(4): 403–417. , .