Modeling tropical cyclone intensity with quantile regression
Version of Record online: 8 DEC 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 29, Issue 10, pages 1351–1361, August 2009
How to Cite
Jagger, T. H. and Elsner, J. B. (2009), Modeling tropical cyclone intensity with quantile regression. Int. J. Climatol., 29: 1351–1361. doi: 10.1002/joc.1804
- Issue online: 20 JUL 2009
- Version of Record online: 8 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 OCT 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 20 JUN 2008
- Manuscript Received: 30 JAN 2008
- US National Science Foundation. Grant Number: 0738172
- 2004. Probabilistic forecasts of precipitation in terms of quantiles using NWP model output. Monthly Weather Review 132: 338–347. .
- 2001. Secular changes to the ENSO-US hurricane relationship. Geophysical Research Letters 28: 4123–4126. , , .
- 2004. A hierarchical Bayesian approach to seasonal hurricane modeling. Journal of Climate 17: 2813–2827. , .
- 2006. Prediction models for annual US hurricane counts. Journal of Climate 19: 2935–2952. , .
- 2008. United States and Caribbean tropical cyclone activity related to the solar cycle. Geophysical Research Letters 35: L18705. (DOI:10.1029/2008/GL034431, September 2008). , .
- 1988. The maximum intensity of hurricanes. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 45: 1143–1155. .
- 2001. The Atlantic multidecadal oscillation and it's relation to rainfall and river flows in the continental U.S. Geophysical Research Letters 28: 2077–2080. , , .
- 2007. Downscaling of extreme precipitation events using censored quantile regression. Monthly Weather Review 135: 2365–2378. , .
- 1992. Predicting Atlantic seasonal hurricane activity 6–11 months in advance. Weather and Forecasting 7: 440–455. , , .
- 2006. Climatology models for extreme hurricane winds near the United States. Journal of Climate 19: 3220–3226. , .
- 1984. A tropical cyclone data tape for the North Atlantic Basin, 1886–1983: Contents, limitations, and uses, NOAA Tech. Memo. NWS NHC-22, Coral Gables, FL, 21. , , .
- 1997. Extension to the North Atlantic Oscillation using early instrumental pressure observations from Gibraltar and South-West Iceland. International Journal of Climatology 17: 1433–1450. , , .
- 1978. Regression quantiles. Econometrica 46: 33–50. , .
- 2004. The Atlantic hurricane database reanalysis project: Documentation for 1851–1910 alterations and additions. In Hurricanes and Typhoons: Past Present, and Future, MurnaneR, LiuK-B (eds). Columbia University Press; New York, NY: USA; 177–221. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Tropical Cyclones of the North Atlantic Ocean, 1871–1998. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration; Miami, FL: USA; 206. , , , .
- 1997. An extension of the Tahiti-Darwin Southern oscillation index. Monthly Weather Review 115: 2161–2165. , .
- 2003. Quantile regression: applications and current research areas. Statistician 52: 331–350. , , .